Black creatives: share your trials and tribulations here.

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
Straight up...It's yo numba one house nikka on the coli!
:banderas:

But for real, I got to be real here and I ain't even trying to come off as divisive here...from observing Twitter and the internet I really do notice when it comes to electronic music for the past two years...the media and people behind it are really trying to promote black women and black trans people over black men. And dare I say it I get a kind of a real :mjpls: vibe from it.

Like these artists I support them but they seem to be more pro women than pro-black people. Which is cool...women need all the representation they can get especially black women but I feel like they treat black men that ain't on some funny style shyt as an outlier...like we riff raff and like we arent wanted..or we're too aggressive or threatening. We might be the only demographic where the reverse is happening (usually men get promoted more than the women)...

Straight black men aren't getting that push that others are getting. It sucks but it is what it is.
:yeshrug:

Still making moves regardless.

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
what exactly is this thread about?
Where black creatives...discusss...Black creative stuff and trying to make it in this industry that really isn't too privy too people of color in general.

Hopefully we can learn from each other and share tips and pointers to move more fluidly and gain a better frame of recognition for ourselves in our respective fields.

Dont@Me

šŸ˜”
Daps
I've been to many EDM events and as always, most of the time I'm the one that has to "prove" myself to be down with the community while others just automatically seem to be accepted. Then of course they get "surprised" about my chill personality. There is also the "meathead" stereotype that follows me unfortunately because I'm muscular, plus I'm black, so it's a double whammy.

I admit, it's a fun community to be apart of, but I'm so tired of society in general and how black people are treated that I've just gone straight introvert mode. :manny:

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
Being a black portrait photographer you run into lots of fake-liberals/hipsters/yuppies, etc...One of the funniest :mjpls:related things is when certain white photographers use all the models I've found and groomed and built relationships with, but these same photographers be turning they noses up at meetups and shyt. I'll shoot with a new model, they right behind me the next week posting pics of her, but they see me somewhere and be on some :hhh: shyt. Like yeah I'm good enough discover models for you, but you too good to speak. :usure:. Aight.

Guile

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Maybe I'm am confusing you with someonelse but didn't you help run the brother DrX off these forums? :leostare:

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
I've been to many EDM events and as always, most of the time I'm the one that has to "prove" myself to be down with the community while others just automatically seem to be accepted. Then of course they get "surprised" about my chill personality. There is also the "meathead" stereotype that follows me unfortunately because I'm muscular, plus I'm black, so it's a double whammy.

I admit, it's a fun community to be apart of, but I'm so tired of society in general and how black people are treated that I've just gone straight introvert mode. :manny:
I feel you. As a producer and DJ people always assume when I go to event I don' know the culture or the music or I'm the outside when I've legit been invested in this for 20+ years.

Cadillac

Veteran
Daps
I'm a poet.

So my poems that don't have a racial element are applauded and praised

But ones with racial tones/undertones therez:mjpls:. But there's also the wannabe down cacs who also love/praise it.

There's some other things I picked up on. But I don't know if I should explain

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
Being a black portrait photographer you run into lots of fake-liberals/hipsters/yuppies, etc...One of the funniest :mjpls:related things is when certain white photographers use all the models I've found and groomed and built relationships with, but these same photographers be turning they noses up at meetups and shyt. I'll shoot with a new model, they right behind me the next week posting pics of her, but they see me somewhere and be on some :hhh: shyt. Like yeah I'm good enough discover models for you, but you too good to speak. :usure:. Aight.
Interesting.
:ohhh:
I run a blog where I post alot of photography and pictures of models and I have noticed that white photographers use POC models to boost their profile when before they only take pics of other white models.

I've always wanted to do that but I figured that it would be hard since women are more comfortable around white guys than black men and would seemingly be less willing to work with then...but if I see black men in photography succeeding that gives me hope.

:salute:

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
Interesting.
:ohhh:
I run a blog where I post alot of photography and pictures of models and I have noticed that white photographers use POC models to boost their profile when before they only take pics of other white models.

I've always wanted to do that but I figured that it would be hard since women are more comfortable around white guys than black men and would seemingly be less willing to work with then...but if I see black men in photography succeeding that gives me hope.

:salute:
yep. A lot of them, white photogs, they'll use other races of models to make their portfolio/page look "inclusive" and exotic. Cuz I know around here, most these white photogs whole ig pages were their white models. Then the brehs started getting better and we were posting sisters, so they started leeching off of us. And it was funny cuz we had way more black models than they had white models.