Black Futures series traces the genesis and rise of dance and club music & culture

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

For Black History Month, World Cafe correspondent John Morrison dives into the rise of disco in the '70s and the genesis of dance and club culture
Over the past few years for Black History Month, World Cafe has dug into different genres and their importance in the Black music canon over the decades.

With DJ and World Cafe correspondent John Morrison as our guide, we've explored the "Black Roots of Rock And Roll" and the history of R&B music. Dance music, however, has remained untouched until now, but Morrison says dance and electronic music is a fundamental aspect of Black music culture.

"What I'm talking about when I say dance music is a sound and, really, a culture that came out of Black club culture and DJ culture, specifically," he says. "I'm talking about a continuum of music that starts with disco and stretches out to encompass, like, house music, techno, EDM and, really, any form of electronic dance music that we hear today."

In this segment (the first of four this month), Morrison explains how disco is the nexus toward which most veins of contemporary dance music originate.

John_Morrison_BMC-300x300.jpeg

John Morrison of Culture Cypher Radio on WXPN in Philly​