Black girl denied urgent care when workers don’t believe her mother is white

ReturnOfJudah

Veteran
Daps
OBACYG2TIFDMPISNE64VPPAYFY.JPG

WALDORF, MD (WJLA/CNN) - A white Maryland mother says she was hurt by the assumption she and her black daughter weren’t a family when she says the two went to a medical clinic that didn’t believe she was the child’s mother.

Karen Dresser says a Patient First urgent care clinic in Waldorf, MD, denied her 12-year-old adoptive daughter treatment because the mother is white and her daughter is black.

Dresser says workers at the clinic didn’t believe she was the girl’s mother, and they asked for papers to prove their relationship. She said the two had been to the clinic several times before.

"At first, I was just numb. I was in disbelief, actually,” Dresser said. "We are a family in every sense of the word, and for somebody just to make the assumption that we weren't is hurtful."

Dresser was so stunned she went to Facebook to see if any other mothers had been turned away or asked to produce guardianship papers during a visit to the clinic.

"And by the time I was home, I had lots of people saying, ‘No, never.’ So, I know it was a color issue,” she said.

Patient First released a statement following the incident.

"During registration, if a minor patient is accompanied by an adult who states that they are the patient's parent, we take them at their word. If the adult states that they are the child's guardian, we require documentation to confirm that before the patient can be registered,” read the statement in part.

Dresser says she insisted she was the 12-year-old’s mother and workers need to be better trained on how to handle these kinds of situations.

"I think people out there need to understand that families come in all shapes and sizes and that it's important to respect all families,” she said.

Dresser says she received an apology from the clinic’s corporate office after writing them a letter.

MR. SNIFLES

**** YOU THUNDAAAAAAAAAAH
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
THUNDER BUDDIES
MISLEADING TITLE. THE CLINIC HAD A POINT TO SOME DEGREE. THEY CAN'T DISCLOSE INFO TO ANYONE BUT THE PARENTS OF THE CHILD. THAT IS A HUGE LAWSUIT. I KIND OF UNDERSTAND IT. THE MEDICAL INDUSTRY NEEDS SOME STANDARDS WHEN IT COMES TO INTERRACIAL FAMILIES. BUT FAMILIES NEED TO UNDERSTAND THAT TOO. I WOULD BE MAD IF SOMEBODY TOOK MY KID TO THE HOSPITAL AND THE STAFF IS TELLING THEM EVERYTHING WITHOUT ME BEING THERE.

I DON'T SEE THIS AS A RACIAL PROBLEM.

kevin arnold

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
MISLEADING TITLE. THE CLINIC HAD A POINT TO SOME DEGREE. THEY CAN'T DISCLOSE INFO TO ANYONE BUT THE PARENTS OF THE CHILD. THAT IS A HUGE LAWSUIT. I KIND OF UNDERSTAND IT. THE MEDICAL INDUSTRY NEEDS SOME STANDARDS WHEN IT COMES TO INTERRACIAL FAMILIES. BUT FAMILIES NEED TO UNDERSTAND THAT TOO. I WOULD BE MAD IF SOMEBODY TOOK MY KID TO THE HOSPITAL AND THE STAFF IS TELLING THEM EVERYTHING WITHOUT ME BEING THERE.

I DON'T SEE THIS AS A RACIAL PROBLEM.

Yeah too bad they’ve been there twice before

MR. SNIFLES

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
THUNDER BUDDIES
Yeah too bad they’ve been there twice before

THAT'S WHY I SAID THERE NEEDS TO BE A STANDARD. IF NOBODY PRESENT AT THE TIME SAW THEM BEFORE YOU WON'T KNOW. I DON'T RECALL SIGNING ANYTHING TO PROVE GUARDIANSHIP WHEN I TOOK MY NIECE TO THE HOSPITAL. WE HAVE THE SAME LAST NAME SO THEY ASSUMED I WAS THE FATHER.

THE BIGGEST THING TO ME IS THEY SHOULD HAVE AT LEAST ADMITTED THE KID AND THEN FIGURED OUT THE GUARDIANSHIP THING. THAT'S PROBABLY THE HOSPITALITY DEPARTMENT'S JOB.

kevin arnold

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
THAT'S WHY I SAID THERE NEEDS TO BE A STANDARD. IF NOBODY PRESENT AT THE TIME SAW THEM BEFORE YOU WON'T KNOW. I DON'T RECALL SIGNING ANYTHING TO PROVE GUARDIANSHIP WHEN I TOOK MY NIECE TO THE HOSPITAL. WE HAVE THE SAME LAST NAME SO THEY ASSUMED I WAS THE FATHER.

THE BIGGEST THING TO ME IS THEY SHOULD HAVE AT LEAST ADMITTED THE KID AND THEN FIGURED OUT THE GUARDIANSHIP THING. THAT'S PROBABLY THE HOSPITALITY DEPARTMENT'S JOB.

What do you mean they wouldn’t know? She’s a minor. Her moms name would be on the documents that you have to sign when someone underage is, and you sign them in at the hospital. All they had to do was ask for her identification

MR. SNIFLES

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
THUNDER BUDDIES
What do you mean they wouldn’t know? She’s a minor. Her moms name would be on the documents that you have to sign when someone underage is, and you sign them in at the hospital. All they had to do was ask for her identification

I DIDN'T PUT MY NAME ON ANYTHING WHEN I TOOK MY NIECE TO EMERGENCY. SHE WAS 15 THOUGH. THEY DIDN'T REALLY ASK ME ANYTHING WHILE WE WERE THERE.

ALL I'M SAYING IS, I CAN SEE HOW IT COULD HAPPEN. THERE SHOULD BE SOME TYPE OF STANDARD TO PROVE GUARDIANSHIP ON THE SPOT FOR THESE SITUATIONS.