Black Moon Celebrating 25 Years of 'Enta Da Stage'

Derekjackson2

Banned
Daps
The biggest surprise of that year & the album has replay value today. Boot camp should have followed Gang Starr route & keep their original formula so the fans can come to them. Back then you could tell where a group was from by their music. Introduced me to Brooklyn by the lyrics

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Black Moon’s ‘Enta Da Stage’ Is Overlooked in Hip Hop History
by: Maliik Obee Special to the AFRO

/ (Courtesy photo) /

February 24, 2016
Blackmoonr2-300x295.jpg

Black Moon released a classic album in 1993. (Courtesy Photo)
1993 was a pivotal year in hip-hop, with Wu-Tang teaching us to “Protect Ya Neck” and Snoop opting to go “Doggystyle.” 2pac was still finding his way in 93’ when he told the world to “Keep Ya Head Up”.

Eazy-E dedicated an entire album to his beef with Dr. Dre and Geto Boys replaced Willie D with New Orleans legend Big Mike.

In the midst of several heralded albums released in 93’, Black Moon released a classic of their own with “Enta Da Stage”. The Brooklyn group consisted of Buckshot, 5ft Accelerator and DJ Evil Dee of Da Beatminerz.

In retrospect, it is easy to see why Black Moon was slept on.

Hip-Hop groups were at a premium at the time, including the aforementioned Wu Tang, Naughty by Nature, and Onyx to name a few. Most of the groups had more memorable members and arguably better music.

The fact that the group released the album through Nervous Records – a relatively unknown label at the time that specialized in house music may also be the blame for obscurity.

It also may have been easy to confuse Black Moon with one of the Boot Camp Clik groups they were affiliated with like Smif-N-Wessun or Heltah Skeltah not to mention the similarly named but stylistically different Black Sheep.

Nevertheless, “Enta Da Stage” is a better album than its subpar sales indicate.

The premise of the album is hardcore street raps explaining why Black Moon is not to be taken lightly. With the two emcees being well below 6 feet tall, it’s safe to say they had something of a Napoleon complex.

DJ Evil Dee and Beatminerz partner Mr. Walt lace the group with hard-hitting beats, experimenting with an assortment of samples that worked well.

The eerie production sounds like it wasn’t mastered, which only adds to the grit and harshness of the album.

Buckshot is solo on 10 of the album’s 14 tracks, but his confidence and charisma ooze through every verse. 5 Ft. Accelerator is only featured on 3 tracks, but his unorthodox flow and raspy voice compliment Buckshot well.

“How Many MC’s” is an incredibly infectious Beatminerz production accompanied by Buckshot’s boastful rhymes. The sample of jazz musician Grover Washington coupled with the heavy bassline keeps your head nodding.

“Act Like U Want It” is one of the premier tracks on the album, with a beat that sounds like it was more fitting for Kwamé than Black Moon. Buckshot flips the jolly beat into his rags to riches story.

Lines like “Back in the days I was a stone cold hood, and now I’m just a paid hood that’s still up to no good” exhibit Buckshot’s unapologetic demeanor.

The timeless “Who Got da Props?” is the leading single and standout track, with its catchy chorus and mesmerizing beat. Buckshot navigates through the track with a lyrical precision.

While most of the album is exclusively Buckshot, “Black Smif-n-Wessun” introduced the world to the group of the same name. Smif-n-Wessun and Buckshot take turns letting listeners know how it goes down in Brooklyn.

The only true feature outside of the Boot Camp Clik family is Mobb Deep’s Havoc.

The Queens emcee appears on “U da Man” dropping lines like “A rhyme ain’t a rhyme if it ain’t crime related”.

The album version of “I Got Cha Opin” pales in comparison to the jazzier remixed version featured in the video, making it the album’s only weak track.

Enta Da Stage is an instant trip to the turbulent 90’s, dropping you off into the bowels of Brownsville and Bushwick. The album may not be better than some more celebrated albums of the 90’s, but it certainly belongs in your collection.
Black Moon’s ‘Enta Da Stage’ Is Overlooked in Hip Hop History | Afro

IronFist

🎯 𝓘𝓵𝓵𝓾𝓼𝓽𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓓𝓪𝓻𝓽 🎯
Supporter
Daps
One of my personal favorite Hip-Hop albums and it's very much a go to album for me, "this album has it all, hard drums and booming bass over smooth baselines, done in a similar vein to what you would have heard on A Tribe Called Quest's "The Low End Theory" but with a more sinister and nasty aesthetic, you also get Jazzy Horns and samples, complimented by a Dark soundscape packed full of a icy and glacial atmosphere, Buckshot was only 18 during the recording of this album, he showed he was a leader in the Music and outside of it, helping his peers get on too on the album and after this, showing he was a figurehead at a young age for their moment and movement in Hip-Hop.

"Enta Da Stage" is that car ride that takes you into the wrong part of Town lol, Buckshot came with the energy on the mic and the album has all the swagger to call it a straight hardcore Hip-Hop album, that only could come from New York, the beats fit Buckshot's confident, braggadocio and aggressive style perfectly, this album is articulate and finessed in production and it paints a worthy polar opposite for Buckshot to do his thing on here, the rapping was more about spirit, energy and attitude, Buckshot didn't give a fukk and he comes with it on the mic in a bruising and threatening nature, which works great for the listening experience, this album is monumental for me as Hip-Hop fan but the masses should never disregard how important this was to the East in 1993, it played it's part in bringing the East Back to greatness that year, the West Coast were putting out some big releases, in 1991-1992 and still in 93, this album was a part of New York's renaissance, along with other worthy albums from Wu Tang Clan, A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, Digable Planets, Lords of the Underground, and many others. Salute to Black Moon, BUCK EM DOWN!

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I remember when people used to argue who was better Nas or Buckshot Shorty

Legendary group classic album
Nah bro, you're thinking in the present because everything Nas has accomplished now. Nas and Buckshot were on the same level in terms of overall opinion, at least in Brooklyn. I can't speak for all of NY, but here, it was Buckshot Shorty or Nas then it became Nas or Biggie. But again, that was in Brooklyn and when I was in school. It might be different other places in NY
You're showing your lame.

Im from Crown Heights. The same neighborhood Nas was born in, and the same Neighborhood buckshot lives in to this very day. And I was outside during them times. Playing tournaments against Ebbets field kids at Jackie Rob, AND I went to HS on Franklin Ave. And been about this hip hop shyt from the day I seen DJ run mobbing down 125th street on Video Music Box which came on channel 25. And Im telling you NOBODY ever questioned if Buckshot was a better MC than NaS.

fukk is you talking about nikka? Step the fukk on and catch up with your kind, cause you unfamiliar to me.