Black New Yorkers clashing over who should get reparations as state panel starts

Daps
Incorrect, which is why the case consists of enslaved and freedman from the soil of the United States. This is the country we derived from. The basis of this country was built upon the backs of my people.
I can't move to the Caribbean or Africa and demand to be compensated for something from your ancestors plight. I have no case.
All we need is ancestry dot com. I can find ancestors on the freedmen bank records and from the 1870 census. Most of us probably can.

If your ancestors were enslaved OR if you/parent/grandparents etc, were around during Jim Crow, that should be a sufficient qualification....of course agreeing on who qualifies is tough enough. Getting non-ADOS to come up off that $$$ is impossible.

Even the most non-racist/open minded people will say "fukk y'all nikkas" when it comes to reparations.

Daps
But if they try to make US citizens pay higher taxes as a way to cover reparations, then immigrants can just argue that in the same way that they weren't around to qualify for getting reparations, that they also weren't around to be slave masters, so they should not have to pay into the taxes that go toward reparations.

Anyway, try not to kill each other.

Flip side: I could argue that recent-ish immigrants (since 1865) have not contributed to America being 'Merica.

Why should they get all the freedoms that ADOS blood, sweat and tears paid for? If your ancestors weren't around for the Revolutionary War and Civil War....and/or they weren't enslaved, making $$$$ for King Cotton and providing raw materials to fuel Northern industrialization, they're just leeching off the Stars N Stripes.

If they want the full rights of citizenship, they should pay up like everyone else.

tuckgod

The high exalted
Bushed
Daps
The more detailed and specific you get, the more powerful the claim will be.
Exactly.

That’s why they keep doing the song and dance.

FBAs have absolutely no problem identifying our lineage as most of our families are still very much intact and aware of our histories and kinfolk.

Last edited:

Cobalt Sire

All Star
Daps
Umar said it can’t be lineage based because you’d have a lot of white folks who’d come out… because they have a relative who might’ve been a slave… even tho they identify as white now
It should be based on what MOST of your lineage is. BOOM. Courts can't strike it down.

Who Not How

Superstar
Daps
The more detailed and specific you get, the more powerful the claim will be.
Not just that.

You need a deadline.

Last time that I checked......debts owed have deadlines.

Imagine you had a mortgage and the bank said "you can pay whenever you can".....you'll be in that house forever never making a payment.

I still haven't heard when this payment is due.

A specific deadline will make the claim even more powerful and get the ball rolling.