Black Seminoles in the Bahamas

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

index.jpg
Rosalyn Carter PhD is a professor of Anthropology at the University of Central Florida. She wrote a book called Black Seminoles in the Bahamas, an ethnographic study of the Black Seminole descendant community of Red Bays, Andros Island, Bahamas.

Below is an article she wrote about the same subject in the Journal of Black Studies. 24 pages long.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
i need to do more research but i've read that a substantial amount of Bahamians are descended from African Americans and Haitians.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
i need to do more research but i've read that a substantial amount of Bahamians are descended from African Americans and Haitians.
Correct on both counts. Plantation owners who were loyal to the British left America after the Revolutionary War. The African Americans from their plantations were taken with them as they went to the British controlled colonies in the Caribbean. Many AAs ended up in the Bahamas.

The wave of AAs mentioned in OP would have been around 40 years after the much larger wave of the 1780s. Both waves were from roughly the same parts of America,

Haitian descended population is from migrant workers who have landed in the Bahamas over the centuries.
https://www.thecoli.com/posts/34991738/

The world's most famous Bahamian, Sidney Poitier, is said to descend from Haitians. He spoke briefly about it in his auto/bio. There are no records of that surname in Bahamian record archives.

Last edited:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

(Details for the video)
We all know about the Underground Railroad —the network that Harriet Tubman and others used to bring enslaved people from the South to the northern free states in the years through the Civil War. But you likely haven’t learned about the alternate route to freedom that ran through Florida and existed with the help of the Black Seminoles. This is the story of the Southern Underground Railroad.
===========

Last edited: