BLACK THOUGHT NAMES MACH-HOMMY, YOUR OLD DROOG & MORE AMONG FAV UNDERRATED RAPPERS

KingsOfKings

𝔻𝕣𝕖𝕒𝕞 𝕄𝕖𝕣𝕔𝕙𝕒𝕟𝕥
Daps
Black Thought is arguably one of the most proficient wordsmiths in Hip Hop, but he is also a fan of the culture and the artists who continue to amaze him.

On Wednesday (December 20), The Roots MC joined the group’s percussionist on Questlove Supreme to talk about music as well as his new book, The Upcycled Self. While namedropping artists such as Special Ed, Kool Keith and Greg Nice who influenced his work, the Philly native pivoted to shout out younger artists who he admires.

“Mach [Hommy], yeah, that’s my ace,” he began. “I think his association with the whole Griselda family and that movement, but the way that he’s distinctly, y’know, different is huge too.”

He then transitioned to his second pick, Your Old Droog, revealing that he didn’t initially like the Brooklyn rapper because “he sounded too much like Nas.”

met him on the road opening up for Royce and Premier when they were doing their PRhyme tour and we sort of hit it off,” he admitted. “I talk about mentorship and, y’know, just artists that we share demos with one another and I’m just able to just, y’know, offer wisdom […] he’s been one of those artists.”

It is worth noting that Droog is the one who connected Black Thought and Mach-Hommy, and that the rap vet has even been spotted in the studio with both artists in recent months. Listen below at the 1:38:20 mark:

On last week’s episode of the same podcast, Questlove took the opportunity to give OutKast their flowers when he hosted André 3000 to discuss everything from breakfast cereal to Prince to switching genres on his latest album, New Blue Sun.

During the chat, the Philly native set aside a moment to explain exactly how he felt upon listening to one of the biggest hits by his guest’s former group back in 1998.

[My publicist] had a copy of Aquemini and the feeling of fear when ‘SpottieOttieDopaliscious’ came on,” he recalled. “I was like, ‘fukk, they sound like a better band than we do,’ and instantly I knew like every Black university marching band … like this was going to be something I heard forever.”

Questlove continued: “And I was like, ‘Damn, how come ideas don’t come to be like that.’ Man, like, what the fukk! Y’know, and plus it’s rare to hear stream-of-conscious thinking …

LevelUp

🧞🪔 𝙏𝙝𝙚 𝙂𝙚𝙣𝙞𝙚 𝙤𝙛 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙇𝙖𝙢𝙥 🧞🪔
Daps