Daps
Reppin
NULL

Chicagoans help subdue unruly passenger on detoured United flight

Chicagoans help subdue unruly passenger on detoured United flight - Chicago

Albert Cho was dozing off in his seat on a Thursday night flight from New York’s LaGuardia Airport to O’Hare when he was wakened by shouts from a passenger who was scuffling with a flight attendant in the aisle.

The woman was screaming something about her own necklace, then snatched a necklace off the stewardess’s neck, then ripped another off a nearby passenger. Then the agitated woman began making her way toward the rear of the plane, where Cho was seated.

Before the woman — whom the FBI identified as Breanna Nicole Farquharson — got much farther down the aisle, a trio of passengers wrestled her to the floor, and essentially sat on her for an hour while the flight was detoured to Detroit’s Metro Airport.

Old Town resident Bob Fitzsimmons was one of four passengers — including Hinsdale native Chris Hildreth, Itasca resident Fletcher Oliver and a New Yorker named Sal — who leapt into action.

“We started yelling for something to tie her up with,” Fitzsimmons said. “I was thinking there would be an air marshal on the flight, or they would have zip ties or duct tape or something.”

Instead, they managed to subdue Farquharson with Cho’s belt, a woman’s scarf and seat belt-extenders, and Fitzsimmons and Sal sitting over her. Farquharson continued babbling for the duration of the flight and didn’t answer when Fitzsimmons asked her name or tried to chat.

“We basically decided we would just sit like that for the rest of the flight,” Fitzsimmons said. “We probably only had an hour left in the air.”

That itinerary got longer when the plane was diverted to Detroit, where Farquharson was taken off the plane by airport police. Fitzsimmons said he and others were questioned by the FBI during their layover, and the flight was delayed only about an hour by the ordeal.

A spokeswoman for the FBI’s Detroit bureau said Farquharson was charged with interference with flight crew members.

Farquharson, 22, did not make a scheduled appearance in federal court Friday, and remained in federal custody, FBI spokeswoman Jill Washburn said.

“Those guys were heroes,” Cho said. “Brave, and at the same time, very gentle with her as well.”

Fitzsimmons said he has exchanged numbers with his fellow amateur air marshals.

“We actually had a long time to talk, while we were sitting on her,” he said. “There was a lot of camaraderie.”

The Girl
Breanna Nicole Farquharson
LinkedIn: Breanna Farquharson | LinkedIn

26becbd.jpg

Alleged Personal Account of the Girl
NY-to-Chicago Flight Diverted Due To Disruptive Mt. Vernon Passenger

This same young lady was very rowdy with me and Sam Rivers on the day of the school board elections when both Sammy and I ran. Then she called her mother who came to fight. You should have seen the mother's behavior. It was worse than the daughter's - real violent and "street." She was threatening to beat us up if we interfered with her daughter. She then had the audacity to call the police to lie that we had interfered with her daughter when the daughter was the aggressor. The police seems to take their side in believing the lies. I tried to explain to the cop that the girl started the trouble, but a light skin female cop who seems to be omnipresent knew what happened. Well, I don't wish bad on people's children, but I have a strong belief that the mother knew the daughter was wrong and set a bad example in "bullying" that day for the daughter to follow. Parents must correct their kids, especially when they are rude to other adults. Don't go fighting other adults based on lies your child make up.

Alternative News Sources
Woman charged after assault on United flight which forced landing at Detroit Metro Airport
SEE IT: Chaos ensues as woman attacks flight attendant

3rdWorld

Veteran
Daps
Saw a suited up but no tie black man get thrown off a flight once..he was late but was allowed in..next thing I know he's being thrown out and hes yelling. Didn't know what to think really.

Richard Wright

Living Legend
Daps
It could have been a mental illness. Sadly mental illness in Black America is never taken seriously

People always want to make some slick comment like this, like black people as a whole are somehow less mature when it comes to being sensitive about mental , gender, and sexual orientation issues. You know that's a stereotype right? Douche.

And for my take: looks from her LinkedIn like she majored in English and minored in gender studies :sas1:

She would have been straight if she majored in computer science and minored in math :sas2: