Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
The Black Panthers: Ericka Huggins

The Black Panthers: Ericka Huggins | Independent Lens
Ericka Huggins, a former leader in the Black Panther, shares her admiration for the passion of the young women leading the Black Lives Matter movement, and offers advice to the young women activists of today who inspire her.
Bio | Ericka Huggins Official Website
"From 1973–1981, I was the Director of the Oakland Community School, the groundbreaking community-run child development center and elementary school founded by the Black Panther Party. Working with a team of incredibly talented party members and local educators a vision for the innovative curriculum for the school was written. This curriculum and the principles that inspired it became a model for and predecessor to the charter school movement."

"In May 1969, Bobby Seale and I were targeted and arrested on conspiracy charges sparking “Free Bobby, Free Ericka” rallies across the country.

While awaiting trial for two years before charges were dropped, including time in solitary confinement, I taught myself to meditate as a means to survive incarceration and separation from my baby daughter .As a lifelong writer, upon my release from prison in 1971, I became writer and editor for the Black Panther Intercommunal News Service. In 1974, the book of poetry chronicling my experience of incarceration and liberation, Insights and Poems, co-authored with Huey P. Newton, was published. My poetry and other writings have appeared in numerous magazines and books."

1610f9_e1c0cb351a644f5b948e133528ca2f90~mv2.jpg

Last edited:

GASign

All Star
Daps
Years ago I came across this thread talking about this woman H. Lacks on another hiphop site and it caught my attention. Didn't know there was a book about her until I seen it about 2 weeks ago in this bookstore down here. Copped it. Major contribution to the medical industry. Finna check it out one of these weekends.

81gaQzGXepL.jpg

Yo Mama

...the sweeter the juice.
Daps
Reppin
Your dreams

Nehanda Nyakasikana (left) and Sekuru Kaguvi (right), after their 1897 capture

Nehanda Charwe Nyakasikana also known as Mbuya Nehanda (c. 1840–1898) was a svikiro, or spirit medium of the Zezuru Shona people.

As one of the spiritual leaders of the Shona, she was one of the leaders of a revolt, the Chimurenga, against the British South Africa Company's colonisation of Zimbabwe led by Cecil John Rhodes in 1889. Mbuya Nehanda was instrumental in organising the nationwide resistance to colonial rule during the First Chimurenga of 1896–7.

She and her ally who some historians claim was her husband, Sekuru Kaguvi were eventually captured and executed by the British. After the end of the rebellion in 1897, Nyakasikana was captured and charged with the murder of Native Commissioner Henry Hawkins Pollard in 1896. She was found guilty after eyewitnesses claimed that she had ordered an associate to chop Pollard's head off. Consequently, she was hanged in March 1898

She has been commemorated by Zimbabweans through the building of statues in her name, street names, hospitals, songs, novels, and poems....

Last edited: