'Blood Meridian' is being adapted into a Feature Film

Blackfyre

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Earthrealm
EXCLUSIVE: New Regency is adapting Pulitzer Prize for Fiction winner Cormac McCarthy’s Blood Meridian widely considered one of the greatest works of American literature, as a feature film, with John Hillcoat set to direct.

The film will be produced by New Regency, Black Bear Picture’s Keith Redmon, and Hillcoat. Cormac McCarthy and his son, John Francis McCarthy, will serve as Executive Producers.

Published in 1985, the novel is an epic tale of the violence and depravity that attended America’s westward expansion, brilliantly subverting the conventions of the Western novel and the mythology of the Wild West. Based on historical events that took place on the Texas-Mexico border in the 1850s, it traces the fortunes of the Kid, a fourteen-year-old Tennesseean who stumbles into a nightmarish world where Indians are being murdered and the market for their scalps is thriving.

McCarthy’s novels are always something the industry has been drawn to going back to the Coen Brothers Oscar-winning No Country for Old Men adaptation as well as Hillcoat’s own adaptation of The Road with this film marking a reunion for the two.

Hillcoat most recently directed episodes of the Showtime limited series George & Tammy starring Jessica Chastain and Michael Shannon. He is represented by CAA, Anonymous Content and Black Bear Pictures. McCarthy is represented by CAA.
Can't believe it's actually happening. I'd have preferred this as a mini-series but I'll take what I can get with a movie adaptation.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
This is a tough adaptation for anybody to tackle, but Hillcoat did direct one of my favorite westerns in The Proposition so I’ll let him cook. The atmosphere in that movie felt akin to McCarthy’s world in Blood Meridian. Highly recommend it to those who haven’t watched.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]

Can't believe it's actually happening. I'd have preferred this as a mini-series but I'll take what I can get with a movie adaptation.
Curious how the studios will even market it. The amount of stuff they’ll have to cut out of the story just to keep it within Rated R constrains. :huhldup:

…Yeah, would be surprised if this isn’t NC-17.

Last edited:

Dave24

Superstar
Daps
I’ll believe this when it actually comes out because this has had so many failed attempts at a film adaptation.

I still wanna read this book, I’ve heard it’s his Opus, and I’ve been getting recommended Wendigoons video about the book

Subbed to watch later

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
This is either gonna be amazing, terrible, or the type of frustrating "what if" movie that could have been good if not for mistakes. I'm not sure how you film this. And I'm certainly not sure how you depict the violence without getting an X rating.

At one point the Coen brothers were attached and I thought if anyone could do it, it was them. They perfectly adapted another McCarthy novel (No Country For Old Men) and they have the name/success to get a studio in line. But John Hillcoat is a great choice and I remember thinking about him years ago. He directed The Proposition, one of the best westerns I've ever seen. And one of the most violent films I had seen up to that point.

The tone of that film is pure McCarthy. I hope he can pull it off. But man there are so many question marks. How do you bring these characters to life. Who do you cast to play arguably the darkest "villain" in modern memory...

THE 101

House Painter
Daps
It's my favorite novel.

But I dunno about this...it's true The Proposition feels Blood Meridian inspired and is a good film but unfortnately it's Hillcoat's last good film. He already fumbled a McCarthy adaptation.

Robert Eggers would've been my choice. He is great at creating very detailed, researched period settings and I think could convey the hell on earth feel of the novel.

So much of it rests on the casting of The Judge. But it's basically an uncastable role.

Jermio

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Hillcoat's not good enough. And there's no way you'd get the movie distributed without completely watering down the violence. You think AMC, Regal, etc. would show this movie? Or Netflix/Amazon stream it? :dead: It'd be like 3 hours of Liveleak videos.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Hillcoat's not good enough. And there's no way you'd get the movie distributed without completely watering down the violence. You think AMC, Regal, etc. would show this movie? Or Netflix/Amazon stream it? :dead: It'd be like 3 hours of Liveleak videos.

Movie is also gonna be on the firing squad and accused of being racist, just watch. The amount of severe violence it's going to have towards "brown people" is going to definitely get some folks mad. And conversely, the violence Native Americans lay out against their oppressors. The violence against women. I don't see how they can do it without a studio vetoing some shyt.

Pool_Shark

Can’t move with me in this digital space
Daps
Curious what the coli thinks of this book. Doubt the movie would be able to stay true to the book. Too much crazy shyt for today's times. Also part of what I liked about the book was the unique way McCarthy writes. Wonder how a movie can capture that

Shogun

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Knicks
One of my favorite books.
Could make for a brutal movie.
Does Daniel Day Lewis still act?