Booker T Washington vs. WEB Dubois. Why did they disagree?

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
I don't know enough about their disagreement to properly assess their positions whether in their era or in ours. But it seems like they are the start of the conversation black america is still having.

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
img_0203.jpg

This was a shot at WEB DuBois wasn't it? :mjlol:

:jbhmm:Yeah know that think about in 1903, Du Bois published a work titled The Souls of Black Folks, in which he directly criticized Washington and his approach and went on to demand full civil rights for Black people.

I need to read more about that feud. Because I remember initially it was Booker T. who people (this is years and years ago) was a c00n. Nowadays, people are saying it was DuBois who was the c00n.

Is this already a thread?

:jbhmm:the reason why I think people say that Booker T. who was a c00n Washington preached a philosophy of self-help, racial solidarity and accomodation. He urged blacks to accept discrimination for the time being and concentrate on elevating themselves through hard work and material prosperity. He believed in education in the crafts, industrial and farming skills and the cultivation of the virtues of patience, enterprise and thrift. This, he said, would win the respect of whites and lead to African Americans being fully accepted as citizens and integrated into all strata of society.that it was economic independence and the ability to show themselves as productive members of society that would eventually lead Black people to true equality and that they should for the time being set aside any demands for civil rights. These ideas formed the essence of a speech he delivered to a mixed-race audience at the Cotton State and International Exposition in Atlanta in 1895. There and elsewhere, his ideas were readily accepted by both Black people who believed in the practical rationality of his approach, and white people who were more than happy to defer any real discussion of social and political equality for Black people to a later date. It was, however, referred to pejoratively as the “Atlanta Compromise” by its critics. And among them was Du Bois.:jbhmm: the reason why I think people think WEB DuBois was a c00n was that maintained that education and civil rights were the only way to equality and that conceding their pursuit would simply serve to reinforce the notion of Black people as second-class citizens. he believe social change could be accomplished by developing the small group of college-educated blacks he called “the Talented Tenth:” “The Negro Race, like all races, is going to be saved by its exceptional men. The problem of education then, among Negroes, must first of all deal with the “Talented Tenth.” It is the problem of developing the best of this race that they may guide the Mass away from the contamination and death of the worst.” that and his beef with marcus garvey .

teacher

All Star
Daps
Booker t was the prototype c00n, I give him a pass cause he didn’t know any better, white people did him like hydra did winter soldier.

CopiousX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Booker t was the prototype c00n, I give him a pass cause he didn’t know any better, white people did him like hydra did winter soldier.
Yes and no. Washington was incredibly pragmatic. He was low key giving his c00n bucks to NAACP and funding the legal challenges of DuBois. Additionally, his school was building the exact same talented tenth of professionals that DuBois talked about earlier in life.

But overall, he prioritized feeding black folk more than fighting non-black people:yeshrug:

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Here's a quote from WEB DuBois himself:

"I believed in the higher education of a Talented Tenth who through their knowledge of modern culture could guide the American Negro into a higher civilization. I knew that without this the Negro would have to accept white leadership, and that such leadership could not always be trust\ed...Mr. Washington, on the other band, believed that the Negro an efficient worker could gain wealth and that eventually through his ownership of capital he would be able to achieve a recognized place in American culture...He proposed to put the emphasis at present upon training in the skilled trades and encouragement in industry and common labor."

"These two theories of Negro progress were not absolutely contradictory. Neither I nor Booker Washington understood the nature of capitalistic exploitation of labor, and the necessity of a direct attack on the principle of exploitation as the beginning of labor uplift."

They disagreed about power and the use of power.

Last edited:

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Yes and no. Washington was incredibly pragmatic. He was low key giving his c00n bucks to NAACP and funding the legal challenges of DuBois. Additionally, his school was building the exact same talented tenth of professionals that DuBois talked about earlier in life.

But overall, he prioritized feeding black folk more than fighting non-black people:yeshrug:
Washington was not as blatant about his agenda when it came to fighting white supremacy - DuBois was ready to go to war 24/7. They both empowered Black organizations wholesale, but DuBois wanted "what we were due" while Washington wanted to prepare communities for "what we were due." Their agendas worked in tandem - but they had issues of power.

Last edited: