MusicConsulting

All Star
Daps
You can rot on neg train express if you just "cherry picked" quotes trying to frame your trollish discussion.
And you picked not only one of the most revered songwriters but someone who is a institution to too many songwriters,musicians & artists of all backgrounds.

http:// www.today.com/video/flashback-david-bowie-talks-about-age-creativity-in-1993-today-interview-599643203928

Flashback: David Bowie talks about age, creativity in 1993 TODAY interview

quote:
Gumbel asks about Bowie's view of himself as a rock star, the appeal of his music to the youth of the 90s, and, additionally, his view of hip-hop, which was reaching a new level of mainstream awareness at the time. "You were saying that the only people in the music business now in your opinion who were being truly creative were the rappers," Gumbel says, to which Bowie responds, "Yes, I believe that's so."

He goes on to add, "The quality and significance of the social message has moved very much to the black and hispanic market. And that's where the new force of music is coming from... With black music, there's a very strong social point to make. There's a means of discovery and a purpose."

RIP to a genius who transformed the world in how we listen to music & may all his family & friends know that he changed the world with his imaginative world of surreal characters.. and have solace that they helped & forge a timeless legacy of work to be cherished by countless listeners to come.

Before I depart with this post, I think it is valid to understand Bowie's relationship with black culture with impressionable youngins who have yet to mine through the history. When Bowie made Let's Dance, he chose a sonic visionary to co-helm their vision. He did it when he was basically left for dead because of the disco backlash that Niles had come under. He was persona non grata in the industry. Long story short, Anti-Disco was based in a petition for black music to be taken off radio stations nationwide. Bowie was one of the few people to see Niles & figuratively say by taking this stance"This is bullshyt, you are a legendary producer/musician who deserves a platform outside this hatred" And to do that for a BLACK artist in AMERICA, that's profound. Now, what were some Coli members saying about Bowie not caring about Black Culture or the foundation of Hip hop? Go kick rocks... and I feel this is shameful that we even have to entertain this silly notion that was brought up on this thread. Foolish trolls, the foundation of Hip Hop was Good Times bass line, Bowie protected the creators of that, hence he should get respect for the Hip Hop community to believe so strongly when everyone was telling him "No, don't go with them"

Pitchfork: You wrote in your autobiography about Bowie’s progressive attitude toward race and working with black artists. How do you remember that aspect of your collaboration?
NR: As a black man in America, there’s not a day that goes by that I’m not reminded of being black. It has nothing to do with me. Some people are just uncomfortable with my presence. It’s never gone away. With Bowie, though, I never felt that at all. He made Let’s Dance with me and guys that he never even met, but he had enough faith to allow me to completely take over. He was like, "Nile, take my vision and make it real. You be the empresario."

The whole album was completed and mixed in 17 days. There’s no four different versions of "Let’s Dance," no five versions of "Modern Love." That’s just it. Done. End of story. A huge amount of the time he spent sitting in the lounge watching TV and then he would just come in and check and go "Wow!" and then he would leave. And I’m thinking to myself, "This is the highest form of respect that anyone has ever given to me."

We made that record the same way we did black records: Cut a song, move on to the next one. That’s seeing culture through someone else’s artistic eyes and also seeing the way they live and not even thinking about it. Because black artists’ budgets were different than rock’n’roll guys’ budgets. I made Bowie’s album the same way I make Chic albums. When I explain how that session went down, people think I’m being braggadocious, but I’m like, "No, it’s exactly the opposite." It was all about Bowie having such confidence in us.

I think we've covered this topic enough, unless somehow you were a historical part of music history fusing black music heroes of the artistic dancefloor with Bowie's artistic English approach.