Boxing Tips Thread

mr. smoke weed

Smoke Album Done......Wait n See #SmokeSquad
Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
Chi
I used to train and never did practice the Philly Shell/Mayweather Shoulder roll. I still box (albeit in my basement), and have been trying to mimic the style against the heavy bag and shadow boxing. Every time I try to jab my shoulder drops exposing the chin. Anybody have any tips on how to correct this flaw? BTW I trained fighting out of the high guard and peek a boo defense.

yo moms

drunk
Daps

see i personally belive the proper way too box is lefta hand low. you loko at all the ATGs and youll see the same.

the left jab has to come from below the opponents sight. its harder to see that way.

its an up jab. just cause your hand is low doesnt mean you are open to be hit. matter of fact its easier to hit someone wo holds up both hands to his head.

now charley burley was a ww fighting a light heavyweight in this thread. he didnt have his hands up. and he didnt get hit.

you see this is a modernn myth that you have to keep your hands up. its just something trainers shout that dont know what they talking about.

herse the key top defense:

distance/footwork
head movement
shoulders to deflect pucnhes.

your hands should alwasy be free to punch.

now you look at one of the greatest jabs of all time. it was an up jab form larry holmes :flabbynsick:

dont get me started on this shyt

mr. smoke weed

Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
Chi
I didn't catch your reply before I started my workout....interesting stuff. I'm getting better every time I practice it. However I still can't get that stinging power jab from this stance, the way I can from throwing from the high guard.

yo moms

drunk
Daps
I didn't catch your reply before I started my workout....interesting stuff. I'm getting better every time I practice it. However I still can't get that stinging power jab from this stance, the way I can from throwing from the high guard.

Your weight has to be on the back foot like freddie little in the video above. You see how hard his jab is? It's because his weight starts on his back foot.

But when you transfer the weight to the front foot, you don't want to stay there otherwise you will be easily countered becashe all your weight will be over your front foot

Imagine placing your front foot on a frozen lake. You don't want all your weight on it otherwise you fall in the lake. You just want to tap it. And then come straight back to the rear foot.

HARLEM AL

Your broad loves me.....
Daps
Reppin
Harlem, NYC
you keep your hands up so you can condition yourself to keep them up. as you get tired your hands will begin to drop. And it will be noticeable when you're sparring.

Hand placement is preference. If you dont know what you are doing keep those hands up.

also work on different of jabs. Quick jab,strong jab, up jab, jab to the body etc......

Daps
Reppin
Mine and Whatever Concerns me
you keep your hands up so you can condition yourself to keep them up. as you get tired your hands will begin to drop. And it will be noticeable when you're sparring.

Hand placement is preference. If you dont know what you are doing keep those hands up.

also work on different of jabs. Quick jab,strong jab, up jab, jab to the body etc......

The White man is the DEVIL.

Last edited:

Tom Foolery

You're using way too many napkins.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boardwalk and Park Place
I don't box, but here's an article I found on different gloves used by pros.

Pros and Cons of the Most Popular Boxing Gloves Used by the Pros

Perhaps the most important piece of equipment used in the ring by fighters is the type of gloves they choose to wear on the night of the fight, as well as during their training.

To the casual observer, all gloves basically look the same; however, it’s the subtle nuances in the various brands of gloves that can potentially be the difference between winning and losing on fight night.

So, here’s a breakdown of the most popular types of boxing gloves used by top professionals, amateurs and just people boxing to stay fit.

1. Winning Gloves
FloydMayweather2_468x355_original_display_image.jpg

Mayweather with a pair of Winnings during training.
Winning is a very high-quality brand of glove that is manufactured in Japan. They’re arguably the best gloves you can get on the market in terms of their construction and long-lasting ability. You could own these things for five years and they’ll still look and feel new.

Winning also offers the greatest hand protection of any gloves out there, which is why they’re often referred to as “pillows.” But if you’re a fighter with hand problems, these gloves are for you. They’re very expensive, but no other glove will give you the protection that these will.

These gloves are worn by too many top pros during their training to list, but they are a little bit rarer of a sight in actual fights, due to the drawback of they’re reduced power. Fighters who wear them in the ring are Canelo Alvarez, Erik Morales and Floyd Mayweather (formerly).

2. Everlast Gloves
floyd-mayweather-miguel-cotto-boxing-mgm-grand-gi_original_display_image.jpg

Miguel Cotto wearing Everlasts against Floyd Mayweather.
Everlast is the company that most people think about when it comes to boxing. They've been around for over 100 years and definitely make high-quality pro fight gloves. Personally, I train in Everlast gloves, as they're very supportive and solid all around.

And recently, a lot more professionals are using them in the ring, as they overhauled all their products in favor of new types of gloves that offer better construction and are of higher overall quality. Basically, they're in between "pillows" and the "puncher's gloves," which gives them a nice balance in terms of protection and punching power.

Some top fighters who routinely wear Everlast are Miguel Cotto, Andre Ward, Nonito Donaire, Deontay Wilder and Brandon Rios.

3. Grant Gloves
hi-res-117977361_display_image.jpg

Wladimir Klitschko and David Haye wearing Grants.
Scott Heavey/Getty Images
Grants are excellent gloves, and like Winning, they are used by fighters who need hand protection but still aren't too protective to be deemed as pillow-type gloves. Grants are extremely well constructed and are personally my second-favorite pair of gloves to wear, and they are a step up from Everlast.

They conform nicely to your hand, offer good wrist support and just feel great to have around your hands. And they look pretty good as well; the quality and craftsmanship are top-notch. Fighters who wear them on fight night are Floyd Mayweather, Wladimir and Vitali Klitschko, Andre Berto, Tim Bradley, Bernard Hopkins and Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.

4. Cleto Reyes Gloves
hi-res-hi-res-132810929_display_image.jpg

Pacquiao and Marquez wear Reyes.
Ethan Miller/Getty Images
Cleto Reyes are my favorite gloves. They're made in Mexico and are of the utmost quality. They're hand made and hand stitched, and it shows. They feel awesome and it's like they're not even there; they feel very natural when put onto your hands. These gloves are different from the others on this list up to this point because they're considered to be "puncher's gloves."

This is the case because less padding is on the knuckle area than other gloves, like Winning or Grant gloves. Reyes gloves are very soft—you can feel your knuckles through the padding when you have them on. This naturally translates to more punching power, but with less hand protection.

Reyes gloves are used by Manny Pacquiao, Juan Manuel Marquez, Kelly Pavlik, Marcos Maidana, Amir Khan and numerous other top fighters. They're popular with boxers who don't have a history of hand problems and who have above-average punching power.

5. Rival Gloves
pascal-hopkins-getty-101218_original_original_display_image.jpg

Jean Pascal wears Rival gloves against B-Hop.
Rival is a relatively new brand that's popular in Canada, and it's rapidly becoming more well-known in the U.S. Rival gloves have a great look to them, with a really awesome logo and a cool construction. They look kind of more futuristic, like they're ahead of the curve in terms of the way they look.

Personally, I've never worn Rivals, but from what I've been told, they're terrific gloves that offer really good support and are very safe for your hands, but still provide pretty good punching power. They're kind of like a blend of all different types of gloves. Well-padded but with power is the future of gloves, and Rival has already impressively been able to blend the two together.

The only top-fighter who wears Rivals that I know of is Canadian Jean Pascal, but gradually, more and more people are beginning to take notice and wear these gloves in training.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...rent-brands-of-boxing-gloves-worn-by-the-pros

Yuzo

No nice guys in boxing
Daps
maybe the best jab in boxing ever to me was carlos monzon and he had a terrible jab. it looked awful. it was slow and he brought it back low it wasnt hard but he set up everything with it to perfection. the jab is more intellectual than it is physical and monzon proved that. monzon might have been the most efficient use of the jab ever.

if there was a fighter today i would say to watch to learn the jab i would say watch mikey garcia. he throws it better than monzon on a technical level but with similar controlling of distance, measuring and setting up shots.

mr. smoke weed

Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
Chi
Also on those jabs, always remember to keep your chin on the inside, and the jab is also supposed to be "chinned", by keeping your chin tucked and behind your shoulder. Also try not to lean into your jabs, stay on your heels, so the speed and power stays with you, but most importantly, your balance.

Your arms are naturally going to get tired, so thats what the speedbag is for. USE IT.

Also, when you're mastering your punches, do so by shadow boxing and NOT on the heavy bag. As that will give you habits of leaning in your punches and overselling it. Master shadowboxing first, then transfer the same torque into the heavy bag so your balance and footwork is memorized by your body.
Breh props on all the advice,but I used to train for 3 years or 4. I just was looking for some tips on the philly shell/shoulder roll--never trained that and would like to add it to my arsenal.

mr. smoke weed

Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
Chi
I rock title platinum gloves and title handwraps 14oz's