Boyce Watkins calls the racial wealth gap an illusion

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
I tend to side with Boyce Watkins.
I think its psychological warfare to hammer home a mindset of dependence and need for white support.
Almost the level of you'll never get there so stop trying.
That plus wealth is truly hard to calculate objectively and consistantly, and that scientific papers regarding wealth vary greatly in wealth number and what constitutes wealth and etc.

Just my .02

Remo

Pro
Daps
Before you come in mad as shyt notice he didn't say the gap doesn't exist, he just doesn't agree with the way people discuss it.
Nah he's definitely telling us to be content with what we have. He even said that the racial wealth gap conversation is arbitrary and beneath us....:gucci:
I think that this is something his followers should be mad about.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Nah he's definitely telling us to be content with what we have. He even said that the racial wealth gap conversation is arbitrary and beneath us....:gucci:
I"m not his follower but I agree with him.
Worry about perfect or equal wealth is ridiculous and a waste of resources and time. We know we don't have the same wealth on average, we know why, so what. INstead of focusing on that, how about focus on optimizing the wealth and resources we do have to accumulate more?

That is what I take his stance as being in the big picture.

Yehuda

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1914–1983

That's not what I got from the video, all he said was the idea that the gap will close in 200 years is flawed cause it's based on a lot of assumptions, then he said white people shouldn't be anyone's standard in the first place cause they're not as financially literate as they're made out to be; at no point he said you should content with what you have he said do the best with what you got and as African Americans you're better off than a lot of people in other countries. In fact he even called out people who keep mentioning the gap as an excuse not to make moves.

Remo

Pro
Daps
That's not what I got from the video, all he said was the idea that the gap will close in 200 years is flawed cause it's based on a lot of assumptions, then he said white people shouldn't be anyone's standard in the first place cause they're not as financially literate as they're made out to be; at no point he said you should content with what you have he said do the best with what you got and as African Americans you're better off than a lot of people in other countries. In fact he even called out people who keep mentioning the gap as an excuse not to make moves.
We're the poorest people in this country. No one arguing the wealth gap is literally saying wait for it to close. They use the 200 year number so people understand how big that gap is.
"Do the best with what you got" is bullshyt and Im not gonna put my head in sand and act like my people are doing fine in this country just cause someone on the planet is doing worse. His examples were trash too.
I want to see this man debate sandy darity. Since he thinks as long as I dont have a "deficit mindset" I can create endless wealth in this country.

Worry about perfect or equal wealth is ridiculous and a waste of resources and time. We know we don't have the same wealth on average, we know why, so what. INstead of focusing on that, how about focus on optimizing the wealth and resources we do have to accumulate more?

White wealth is undergirded by black pain, they owe us. We can focus on getting whats ours and accumulating what we have at the same time.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
We're the poorest people in this country. No one arguing the wealth gap is literally saying wait for it to close. They use the 200 year number so people understand how big that gap is.
"Do the best with what you got" is bullshyt and Im not gonna put my head in sand and act like my people are doing fine in this country just cause someone on the planet is doing worse. His examples were trash too.
I want to see this man debate sandy darity. Since he thinks as long as I dont have a "deficit mindset" I can create endless wealth in this country.

White wealth is undergirded by black pain, they owe us. We can focus on getting whats ours and accumulating what we have at the same time.
Some white wealth is , some isn't, that said you expecting a white society built on the concept of white supremacy to pay what they owe you is a exercise in futility.
They aren't, time to divert resources and attention to things that are meaningful, like building with what we have now.

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits

Let's get this money, instead of walking around with a defeatist attitude and pocket watching....

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Let's get this money, instead of walking around with a defeatist attitude and pocket watching....

This. The problem I have with people discussing wealth gaps is they target the overall white wealth as the "goal" and anything short is failure. That's what people use to justify the defeatist bullshyt and downplaying the importance of group economics. Besides the wealth number for white people doesn't accurately define the wealth of the average white american. You got global elites stretching that number ffs, treating it as the end all be all is dumb as fukk

GROWTH is what black people should be focusing on. Who cares about closing up the wealth gap, any bit of growth and progress is sorely needed. fukk the pocketwatching.

nikkas can't keep this front runner mentality like bytches and expect shyt to go anywhere realistically.

it is. trivial is the best word

most like 99% of what black twitter moans about

Last edited: