Boys left behind: Education gender gaps across the US

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
You could open a small, licensed child care center today, that focuses on preschool age black boys. Black families rely heavily on child care and it would be great if more black men were part of it.

That would not accomplish my vision.

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
Do y’all think boys learn better in different environments than girls
Also do y’all think genders should be separated in classes

Thinking back on it in grammar school the girls was really the only ones on honor roll and shyt, even though I think it was a favoritism type of situation but I wonder what could’ve been different to help boys excel more

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
Do y’all think boys learn better in different environments than girls
Also do y’all think genders should be separated in classes

Thinking back on it in grammar school the girls was really the only ones on honor roll and shyt, even though I think it was a favoritism type of situation but I wonder what could’ve been different to help boys excel more

The Data Says ....

While teenage boys may be more likely to be distracted than girls by a mixed-gender school environment (Coleman 1961, Hill 2015), girls may suffer more because of, for instance, an increase in disruptive behaviour (as discussed by Figlio 2007), or a diversion of the teacher’s attention to weaker students (as suggested by Lavy et al. 2012).

To me, this says more about the factory model/Prussian model, than anything else.

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
The Data Says ....

To me, this says more about the factory model/Prussian model, than anything else.
Are you saying the factory model needs to be updated in the modern school system?

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
Are you saying the factory model needs to be updated in the modern school system?

Not update, not revised - It should be scrapped. It doesn't even meet the needs of suburban white children, much less anyone else. A lot of human capital is lost in the schooling stage, and further lost in the work stage.

That said, I have a mental priority with Black Boys. A new school would put them at the center. From that mental point of origin, we build out.

An all boys schools where they're not distracted by girls, but are instead disrupted by other boys suggests something wrong our conception of schooling.

The factory/prussian system is trying to mold boys into something - and we need the boys to not be distracted and also not be disruptive. And their analysis doesn't really get at the idea that boys can both be distracted by girls and disruptive. And "distracted by girls" should really be addressed as well.

We need to think about what are we molding boys for? Why is it so important?
Everyone with kids knows that they're unsocialized little monsters that need to be taught everything.
Everyone without kids can plainly see some parents/parent are ill-equipped to teach anything.

So, in my mind, we need to get explicit about what we want.

The answer is not Montessori, Magnet, Vouchers, Charters, Parochial, Religious, Private, Home Schooling or "Unschooling".

Those are different ways to reach the same goal.

We need to think about the goal itself, with young Black Boys in mind.

The conversation in education policy circles does not question the orthodoxy.

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
Not update, not revised - It should be scrapped. It doesn't even meet the needs of suburban white children, much less anyone else. A lot of human capital is lost in the schooling stage, and further lost in the work stage.

That said, I have a mental priority with Black Boys. A new school would put them at the center. From that mental point of origin, we build out.

An all boys schools where they're not distracted by girls, but are instead disrupted by other boys suggests something wrong our conception of schooling.

The factory/prussian system is trying to mold boys into something - and we need the boys to not be distracted and also not be disruptive. And their analysis doesn't really get at the idea that boys can both be distracted by girls and disruptive. And "distracted by girls" should really be addressed as well.

We need to think about what are we molding boys for? Why is it so important?
Everyone with kids knows that they're unsocialized little monsters that need to be taught everything.
Everyone without kids can plainly see some parents/parent are ill-equipped to teach anything.

So, in my mind, we need to get explicit about what we want.

The answer is not Montessori, Magnet, Vouchers, Charters, Parochial, Religious, Private, Home Schooling or "Unschooling".

Those are different ways to reach the same goal.

We need to think about the goal itself, with young Black Boys in mind.

The conversation in education policy circles does not question the orthodoxy.
In my opinion, you indoctrinate black boys into becoming the equivalent to special forces In militaries
Basically highly skilled individuals,
So the same way some colleges are professional sports league factories, grammar schools and high schools need to become factories for producing scientist, doctors, artists, historians, etc…

But the question is how do you go about that because like you said some parents repeatedly fail they kids in the learning and nurturing process, and I think parents are apart of the child’s mental growth, can great schools overcome terrible parenting

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
In my opinion, you indoctrinate black boys into becoming the equivalent to special forces In militaries
Basically highly skilled individuals,
So the same way some colleges are professional sports league factories, grammar schools and high schools need to become factories for producing scientist, doctors, artists, historians, etc…

But the question is how do you go about that because like you said some parents repeatedly fail they kids in the learning and nurturing process, and I think parents are apart of the child’s mental growth, can great schools overcome terrible parenting

There are military schools for that - very strict, lots of rules, lots of order. A lot of those types of institutions work by separating the child from the parent - with the school becoming the sole socialization agent. But that's not only teachers and staff, curriculum, but also media and most importantly - other students.

I'm not particularly interested in that type of specialization

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
There are military schools for that - very strict, lots of rules, lots of order. A lot of those types of institutions work by separating the child from the parent - with the school becoming the sole socialization agent. But that's not only teachers and staff, curriculum, but also media and most importantly - other students.

I'm not particularly interested in that type of specialization
I don’t think of it as a “military” school or a particularly specialization but more so advanced schools, like what if grammar schools in the hood had the same quality as a Harvard and mit
Where the teaching is also advanced, classes being more in depth not based on passing some yearly test
Right now schools are basically there to babysit, but what if the primary goal was to advance the way kids think
And for black boys in particular I think it’s best for them to be exposed to a more global and militant approach but not necessarily on some American military industrial complex shyt but on some pan American, pan african, lowkey metal gear solid shyt
I think with that approach you wouldn’t have kids growing up thinking it’s okay to sell drugs to your people, money being the most important thing even above integrity, being disrespectful to elders, c00ning being okay, and that your community doesn’t matter

Maybe for that to be possible the schools would have to be similar to a “military” school, but I didn’t envision it that way

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
Matt Yglesias (Left-ish, NeoLiberal)

The rise and fall of the "achievement gap" obsession​

The strange death of education reform, part two

It's sort of painful to see establishment types/thought leaders dance around the issue of Black White Achievement gap. Matty almost hits it, but doesn't want to delve too deeply into America's racist past. He does, rightfully imo, point out that spending more money has not worked.

That said, this was a funny point

I think a big tell here is that Asian students do better on average than white ones, and as far as I know, nobody has ever argued that education reform is going to close the white-Asian test score gap. I’m not sure that we know (or need to know) exactly why Asian students — on average — do better, but it’s pretty clear that a large share of the gap is due to factors that arise outside of the school.

Can't find the story right now - but in the Bay Area, RICH WHITE SUBURBAN parents were complaining that "the school" was pushing their kids too hard. This was code for them Asian kids study too much, and little Braylin might not make it into Berkeley.