Brehs I can't seem to pinpoint why I go to Michael Bay films?

kingdarius

Wtf u talkin bout? Ya Bish
Daps
Reppin
FayetteNam, North Carolina #byrdgang
hes bout to ruin TMNT
just from producing :what:
He's a hack...Bad Boys and The Rock were the only good films and Pain and Gain was ok because it was based on a true story, but dude is terrible and he knows it...he rides the "I know I suck so bad that my movies are a guilty pleasure for some" wave and it works for him...but I know I'm not watching any of his shyt and he's not getting a dime of my money, so oh well
i fukks with armageddon and the island :yeshrug:.....i am a non closeted bay fan tho :heh:

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
I'm going to go out on a limb and disagree that he's a hack because a hack by definition means someone without talent or skill and the man clearly has talent and skill when it comes to the technical aspects of filmmaking. You can't love film or be a student of it and deny him that. He's not Uwe Boll who is in fact, a hack. The problem with Bay is that he doesn't care about the other things you need to make a good movie: good story, compelling characters, good script, good acting and good pacing. Bad Boys works because it's a smaller movie, same with Pain and Gain and The Rock to a degree. Once he goes outside of that and aims to make these bigger than big movies, that's when his weaknesses show up and I'd argue that those same weaknesses are in Bad Boys and The Rock but you can deal with them because they're not as glaring..but then you get to Bad Boys 2 and that's a whole different argument. The other thing is, he doesn't give a shyt because his films are successful. Similar to the thing I said in my review of Barton Fink, Bay is making movies for the common man and knows how to speak directly to the common man, and not to say we are above the common man because none of us are and we all fit the bill of the common man every now and then but when it comes to "film" most of us are not the common man. We go into a flick ready to enjoy it first and then analyze it second whereas most people just go to enjoy and that's who Bay speaks to. If you don't know that by now then I don't know what to tell you. When a movie comes out with his name attached as a director, you know what you're getting or at least you should at this point. I'm not a fan but I don't knock those who are or knock him for doing what he does..shyt just ain't for me
he's the same as a tyler perry... you stand back and realize every movie is the same lane... perry has black women, black people lane locked down.. regardless of how shytty the movie is, he knows exactly what to go for, and gets those dollars every time

bay is summer blockbuster lane.. he's not going for an oscar.. he gives no fukks about your reviews.. wanna zone out and see big explosions, bass in theater, get cheap laughs from cheesy lines... he's got you covered.. turn your brain off, grab some popcorn, and dumb out for 2 and a half hours... and he's making money

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Bad Boys and The Rock are the only truly good movies he made, and that's largely because he was still kept in check back in those days. Once he blew up (no pun intended) he got too much creative control which resulted in the mind-numblingly bloated explosion-fests we've gotten since. Notice how almost every single one of his movies is at the least half an hour too long? That's because he knows no measure and there's no one left to put him check.

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
Funny enough the island was his best film, from acting to script to concept. And it flopped.

Most people seem to forget he even made it.

But you can't watch a movie like the island and call him a hack.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Sometimes you just feel the need to check your brain at the door and enjoy some explosions.

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
I'm going to go out on a limb and disagree that he's a hack because a hack by definition means someone without talent or skill and the man clearly has talent and skill when it comes to the technical aspects of filmmaking. You can't love film or be a student of it and deny him that. He's not Uwe Boll who is in fact, a hack. The problem with Bay is that he doesn't care about the other things you need to make a good movie: good story, compelling characters, good script, good acting and good pacing. Bad Boys works because it's a smaller movie, same with Pain and Gain and The Rock to a degree. Once he goes outside of that and aims to make these bigger than big movies, that's when his weaknesses show up and I'd argue that those same weaknesses are in Bad Boys and The Rock but you can deal with them because they're not as glaring..but then you get to Bad Boys 2 and that's a whole different argument. The other thing is, he doesn't give a shyt because his films are successful. Similar to the thing I said in my review of Barton Fink, Bay is making movies for the common man and knows how to speak directly to the common man, and not to say we are above the common man because none of us are and we all fit the bill of the common man every now and then but when it comes to "film" most of us are not the common man. We go into a flick ready to enjoy it first and then analyze it second whereas most people just go to enjoy and that's who Bay speaks to. If you don't know that by now then I don't know what to tell you. When a movie comes out with his name attached as a director, you know what you're getting or at least you should at this point. I'm not a fan but I don't knock those who are or knock him for doing what he does..shyt just ain't for me

Well damn...this is probably the most accurate critique of Bay that I have ever seen written anywhere...

I really enjoyed Pain and Gain...like most mostly because the Rock killed it...but also because Bay was able to keep a small, intricate, personal story...small, intricate, and personal...i thought the way it was filmed and the scene cuts in the movie were borderline superb, and this film alone should showcase that Bay is not in fact a hack...he does have some actual movie making talent...

I think he gets a lot of flack for the transformers franchise...because...well...I'm not really sure...I never expected transformers to be anything other than big giant robots fighting each other...and that the "story" served no purpose other than keeping the budget manageable...not really sure why people think of transformers as a "movie" and not just an entertainment experience...

I also think a lot of it is just "movie critics" hating on Bay...the majority of his movies have been panned...and the majority of them have been not just successful, but wildly successful...i am sure it gets under critics skin that the more bad things they say about his movies the more money they make...sort of exposing movie critics of being just out of touch with what people are entertained by as everyone else...which in turn causes them to shyt on dude even more...

With that said I thought Transformers 4 was a bad "movie"...but i also found it very "entertaining"...

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Well damn...this is probably the most accurate critique of Bay that I have ever seen written anywhere...

I really enjoyed Pain and Gain...like most mostly because the Rock killed it...but also because Bay was able to keep a small, intricate, personal story...small, intricate, and personal...i thought the way it was filmed and the scene cuts in the movie were borderline superb, and this film alone should showcase that Bay is not in fact a hack...he does have some actual movie making talent...

I think he gets a lot of flack for the transformers franchise...because...well...I'm not really sure...I never expected transformers to be anything other than big giant robots fighting each other...and that the "story" served no purpose other than keeping the budget manageable...not really sure why people think of transformers as a "movie" and not just an entertainment experience...

I also think a lot of it is just "movie critics" hating on Bay...the majority of his movies have been panned...and the majority of them have been not just successful, but wildly successful...i am sure it gets under critics skin that the more bad things they say about his movies the more money they make...sort of exposing movie critics of being just out of touch with what people are entertained by as everyone else...which in turn causes them to shyt on dude even more...

With that said I thought Transformers 4 was a bad "movie"...but i also found it very "entertaining"...

Transformers 4 bored me at most parts and entertained me at others but again I knew what I was getting into. I do agree with you that a lot of critics probably resent him in a way because their words have no correlation to his films being successful. His fans, much like Tyler Perry's fans, don't care what any critic has to say about it because they've already bought in. And when he does go the small route, like Pain and Gain, the critics tend to side back with him but if you notice, those smaller movies he makes don't do as well as the bigger movies. Pain and Gain is better than probably any Transformers flick he's done but the grosses go in the opposite direction. Bad Boys is better than Bad Boys 2 in my view but the grosses side with Bad Boys 2..it's bigger, louder, longer and almost acts as a parody to the first movie. He's just not interested in character as much as much as he's interested in archetypes, just like James Cameron. The difference though is that Cameron most of the time gets good performances from his actors and deals with more heady concepts like Terminator 1&2 or the Abyss. But if you think about it, they're kinda the same guy: both more interested in spectacle than character, both paying very close attention to set design and production, and both dealing in archetypes rather than full on characters..and of course Cameron doesn't objectify his women characters