Bricks-and-mortar shopping could be about to change forever

newarkhiphop

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Bricks-and-mortar shopping could be about to change forever. Amazon pioneered the automated convenience store with its newly-opened Gosupermarket, and now computer vision company AiFi is introducing the first scalable, checkout-free system for stores outside of Amazon's sphere of influence. The technology has the potential to turn enormous retail spaces and small mom-and-pop operations alike into shopping environments of the future, allowing customers to "grab and go" without the hassle of physically checking out.

The system works in largely the same way as Amazon's, with sophisticated camera technology, AI algorithms and sensors. The difference is its scalability -- it doesn't require any major retrofitting, which makes it a feasible option for almost all stores. Plus, it offers store owners useful understanding into shopping behavior and gestures. This, according to AiFi CEO Steve Gu, makes things "easier for shoppers and [gives] more insights and real-time statistics for stores so they can better serve their customers and manage overall operations." Gu says the pilot will roll out in one large store, "orders of magnitude bigger than the Amazon Go store" at the end of this year, with more stores to follow. And then it might be time to say goodbye to checkout small talk forever.

AiFi replicates Amazon Go's checkout-free shopping in any store

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
shyts already been beaten down over the last 30 years, idk if it can get much worse

Jimmy Two-Times™

Coli Mods Catch Me If U Can Forgive Me Imma Ridah™
Daps
Reppin
Peckham™ Come Get Me!
Convenience is always better than quality. I would rather wait 5 minutes in line with a que of humans that to have no social interaction whatsoever lol.

Though the concept is great I don't think this is actually conducive for our society to move forward and progress spiritually.

Money is ruining the planet. :mjcry:

DEAD7

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, CA.
People say they want the social interaction/experience when asked, but every once of data I’ve seen shows people prefer online shopping... even in store(in big chains like Walmart and target) people prefer self checkout.
Why consumers prefer to shop for nearly all products online
:yeshrug:
You want to believe these things are being forced, but they aren’t.
Consumers, for the most part are dictating these changes.

Brick and mortar is simply being replaced by something more convenient and efficient.
:blessed:

BushidoBrown

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Programming isn't as easy as just telling someone to learn how to code, especially if you don't have a passion for it and this is coming from someone from a family of computer science graduates.

I don't entirely want to see brick and mortar disappear nor have this crazy technological age take completely take over. A semi balance of both would be ideal but corporations don't care about anything but profit and that's what it all comes down to at the end of the day at the expense of other things sadly.
I know its not as cut and dry as i put it

But on the other hand, how many people are in a job right now that they dont have a passion for mainly cause they have bills that they need to pay:ld:

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
I know its not as cut and dry as i put it

But on the other hand, how many people are in a job right now that they dont have a passion for mainly cause they have bills that they need to pay:ld:

BASIC INCOME!!!

I can't say it enough: BASIC INCOME!!!!!

Get a job to pay bills, and nothing more, is why people are shooting up their workplaces and hostility is at an all time high.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
if everyone is coding then the value of coding skills drop. y'all gonna be out there like mexicans in front of a home depot. i know java ... i know sql ... i got them python skills over here.

Exactly.....too many people in IT, and the value drops.