:bryan:

The G.O.D II

A ha ha
Supporter
Daps
Shawn was like the second worst draw in WWF/E history until the modern era. Meant nothing to the international fanbase. You also need to note that it was Shawn that was top babyface when Vince almost downsized to regional.

None of this shyt happened when Bret was on top because of the fact that he was an excellent international draw and an adequate North American one.

And Bret was wrestling the same match for 4 years? You sure you're not talking about post back injury HBK there? Actually watch the matches. Bret/Austin at SS 96 is better than all but 3 or so HBK matches, and just about ANY HBK match from that same period. And that's not even Bret's best from that era.

Nobody in the WWF would have drawn shyt during the NWO boom. Its especially unfair to compare shawn to bret when Bret went home during that summer. Please show me where Bret was some huge international draw outside of Canada. Bulldog drew that SS 92 crowd. Dont get me wrong Bret is an excellent wrestler, but before the Austin feud I felt he was too one dimensional while HBK wrestled a variety of styles. Plus HBK could carry stiffs better. Case in point Sid. His match against Michaels at Survivor Series 96 was his best. I think Hart had a match with Sid the PPV after that and it was no where as good. Same with Nash. Michaels had a much better match against him in a 96 PPV then Hart did in SS 95

TrueEpic08

Dum Shiny
Daps
Reppin
SoCal State Beaches
Nobody in the WWF would have drawn shyt during the NWO boom. Its especially unfair to compare shawn to bret when Bret went home during that summer. Please show me where Bret was some huge international draw outside of Canada. Bulldog drew that SS 92 crowd. Dont get me wrong Bret is an excellent wrestler, but before the Austin feud I felt he was too one dimensional while HBK wrestled a variety of styles. Plus HBK could carry stiffs better. Case in point Sid. His match against Michaels at Survivor Series 96 was his best. I think Hart had a match with Sid the PPV after that and it was no where as good. Same with Nash. Michaels had a much better match against him in a 96 PPV then Hart did in SS 95

There's a difference between "not drawing shyt" and "nearly contracting". Big difference. Shawn was on top when they nearly contracted. I'm not saying that he should have single handedly turned everything around, but still, that's pretty damning.

I'm looking for the numbers right now, and if I find them, I'll post them, but when was the last time that 600-800 people legit turned out for a wrestler's book signing in North America (as happened to Bret in the UK)? Why is it that back when headlining tours and having the belt actually mattered to drawing (especially in the post-steroid era) Bret got the push and the headlining spot? It wasn't just because he was the only guy there. Even Vince McMahon and Jim Ross admitted this. When people are kicking down barriers in Germany to get to you and using your face for a jean brand you didn't even know existed, you're certainly something.

As for your stylistic concerns, eh, I didn't think Bret was one dimensional, especially at times like the first King of the Ring (wrestled 3 excellent matches, 2 of which were over 18 minutes, with 3 different opponents) and his series against Backlund for example. Even comparing the Diesel matches, I prefer Bret's (especially the RR95 and SS95 matches) due to the gimmickry needed for Shawn to make him look good. In fact, you could make the argument that Nash's matches with Bret were his best ever (don't worry, Shawn's would be in the argument as well).

It's not even like Bret was THAT much better of a worker, but he was just more palatable to me. Shawn didn't even get really good until 94-95 anyway.