Burger robot to replace minimum wage protesters

Street Knowledge

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
http://threepercenternation.com/2014/08/burger-robot-to-replace-minimum-wage-protesters/

Burger robot to replace minimum wage protesters

What happens when you protest for a wage that your skills (rather the lack thereof), and demand it before you’ll work for the wage you agreed to earn ? People who have done that are about to find that no one is entitled to more than minimum wage when they have no skills, and stupiditydoesn’t pay at all.

“Our device isn’t meant to make employees more efficient,” cofounder Alexandros Vardakostas has said. “It’s meant to completely obviate them.”

The Momentum burger-bot isn’t remotely humanoid. You can forget visions ofFuturama’s Bender. It’s more of a burger assembly line. Ingredients are stored in automated containers along the line. Instead of pre-prepared veggies, cheese, and ground beef—the bot chars, slices, dices, and assembles it all fresh.

Why would talented engineers schooled at Berkeley, Stanford, UCSB, and USC with experience at Tesla and NASA bother with burger-bots? Robots are increasingly capable of jobs once thought the sole domain of humans—and that’s a huge opportunity.

Burger robots may improve consistency and sanitation, and they can knock out a rush like nobody’s business. Momentum’s robot can make a burger in 10 seconds (360/hr). Fast yes, but also superior quality. Because the restaurant is free to spend its savings on better ingredients, it can make gourmet burgers at fast food prices.

Or at least, that’s the idea.

Momentum Machines says your average fast food joint spends $135,000 a year on burger line cooks. Employees work in a chaotic kitchen environment that necessitates no-slip shoes in addition to the standard hairnets and aprons.

By replacing human cooks, the machine reduces liability, management duties, and, at just 24 square feet, the overall food preparation footprint. Resources once dedicated to preparation can instead fund better service.

Of course, businesses are free to spend their savings however they like.

For some, that may mean more quality ingredients or services. For others, it might be competing with other restaurants by maintaining the same level of service and ingredients but offering even lower food prices.

But Momentum Machines’ burger-bot isn’t provocative for its anticipated effects on fast food quality. The bot, and other robots like it, may soon replace low-skilled workers in droves. If one machine developed in a garage in San Francisco can do away with an entire kitchen of fast food staff—what other jobs are about to disappear?

Earlier this year, McDonalds employees protested outside the fast food chain’s corporate headquarters in Chicago, demanding higher wages. A robotic kitchen might bring improved pay for the front of the house, and a pay cut to zero for the back. Some fraction of the 3.6 million US fast food jobs might be automated by such technology.

While the burger-bot hasn’t taken anyone’s job yet, Momentum Machines is clearly sensitive to the worry. The firm says they want to help support those who may lose work as a direct effect of restaurants adopting the robot.

“We want to help the people who may transition to a new job as a result of our technology the best way we know how: education.”

As new technology destroys one kind of job, it creates opportunities for others. We’ll need fewer line cooks, they say, but more engineers and technicians. The problem isn’t that jobs are lost on net, it’s the resulting skills gap. Transitioning into new work can be difficult to navigate, especially for low-wage workers.

Momentum Machines wants to help ease the move by partnering with vocational schools to offer discounted technical training for anyone displaced by their robot. Their goal is indicative of the overall tenor of an increasingly heated debate about how AI and robot employment may reduce human employment in the near future.

In a recent Pew Survey, some 1,900 technology experts agreed that robots will be a pervasive part of daily life by 2025. Automation will infiltrate industries like health care, transport and logistics, customer service, and home maintenance.

Read more @ Singularity Hub

Leave a Comment Here
comments

The 2020 New Member

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
:)
Lmao at people working in fast food because they have no skills. Pretty sure the average fast food worker is in their 30s. Nearly everybody has some experience by then. This article is trying very hard to downplay the fact that the minimum wage is not livable for a single person in many places. If we are going to allow robots to work, we should have some legislation to protect sex workers because that's one of the few fields where humans may still have an advantage.

gho3st

plata or plomo
Daps
Reppin
Lmao at people working in fast food because they have no skills. Pretty sure the average fast food worker is in their 30s. Nearly everybody has some experience by then. This article is trying very hard to downplay the fact that the minimum wage is not livable for a single person in many places. If we are going to allow robots to work, we should have some legislation to protect sex workers because that's one of the few fields where humans may still have an advantage.
I used to work at this fast food restaurant. This breh who had been there for 10 years finally got made it to store manager....Dude starting talking to us about where do we see ourselves in 10-15 years and if we played our cards right we might make it to store manager too :mjlol:

The 2020 New Member

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
:)
I used to work at this fast food restaurant. This breh who had been there for 10 years finally got made it to store manager....Dude starting talking to us about where do we see ourselves in 10-15 years and if we played our cards right we might make it to store manager too :mjlol:

lol. But to be honest, you can excel pretty fast if that's what you want to do. I think it was the CEO of BK that just recently shot to the top of the company.

edit: http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-07-24/burger-kings-ceo-daniel-schwartz-is-33-years-old

Last summer a trim guy with wavy brown hair, high cheekbones, and a broad smile could be found making Whoppers, working the drive-through window, and scrubbing bathrooms at a Burger King in Miami. His name was Daniel Schwartz. He learned to make a Whopper in less than 35 seconds and blended in well with his fellow employees, except for the fact that Schwartz had a guy with a video camera trailing him. “I cleaned about 15 toilets in the past two days,” he boasted at one point, as if he’d just completed a marathon.

Big Blue

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
I work retail and the District Manager one day came up to me and asked me to start management training when I get my degree (in Economics from a regionally prestigious school.) :mjlol: