Calif. group votes to limit reparations to slave descendants

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
BULLshyt :stopitslime: they HAVE the money the just don't wanna break the bank...

I think MONEY and other resources should be made available --if they can't even offer any amount of cash is a slap in the face. Especially KNOWING the issues with Black home ownership rates, homelessness, etc rates are.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
I think it had something to do with the ados chapter out there

they were the ones really pushing for this

Give me details - there are "ADOS" chapters all over the place, why did it succeed in California first (where Black folk are a relatively small % of the population) and not in one of the other 49 states?

What specifically did they do, and why did it work in California specifically?

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
I think it had something to do with the ados chapter out there

they were the ones really pushing for this
Also, Ice Cube actually helped get Newsome behind it.

He actually went with some of the members to help push behind the scenes as well.

California Governor Signs Historic Reparations Bill into Law

“After watching debate, this signing can’t come too soon,” Newsome declared during a videoconference with lawmakers and other stakeholders, including the rapper Ice Cube, who championed the bill.

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
Give me details - there are "ADOS" chapters all over the place, why did it succeed in California first (where Black folk are a relatively small % of the population) and not in one of the other 49 states?

brother I don't have the direct details

I just know the LA ados chapter was the premier group to take matters in their own hands. I think they went after the hr40 bill

@xoxodede is a better person to ask

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.

i would imagine, being relatively small might have helped filter out the clutter of the issue.

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
but yeah its interesting that cali moved the needle on this

your expecting Atlanta but we got cali

fba is a coast to coast culture:manny:

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Daps
Now that the fighting has died down....anyone talking about why California got this far first and what other states could do to replicate it? What happened in Cali that made them lead the way on at least discussing reparations seriously before anyone else did?

Weird intro here but follow me: Astrophysicists often refer to planets being in the 'Goldilocks' zone. Where it's not too close/too far from a star but just right for conditions needed for water (and possibly life) -- I think the people involved in California recognized and appreciated their Goldilocks zone to some degree and put aside any pointless energy to cross the goal line.

For starters, they're in the most liberal state in the country and they're governor seems pretty lax. Add in the influence of celebrity, and the fact that they also didn't draw a line in the sand on circumstances that were likely not ideal to them. For example, the assemblywoman who wrote the bill is a Pan Africanist and modeled it after HR40. Yet on the national level Pan Africanists should be boxed out of reparations involvement and "we don't need a study" like HR40 or for them, AB3121.

They still worked with her & supported the bill. The lineage issue was huge to them I'm sure, but they saved their energy for the taskforce. You look elsewhere and this talk about lineage has devolved into the most irrelevant shyt like movie roles, who started hip hop, Black immigrants 'looking down' on us-- almost anything you can think of that has absolutely nothing to reparations.

This is exponentially harder to achieve for most other states (especially the south) and the federal government, but we could get a lot further if everyone involved left their personal gripes and bullshyt at home.

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
Weird intro here but follow me: Astrophysicists often refer to planets being in the 'Goldilocks' zone. Where it's not too close/too far from a star but just right for conditions needed for water (and possibly life) -- I think the people involved in California recognized and appreciated their Goldilocks zone to some degree and put aside any pointless energy to cross the goal line.

For starters, they're in the most liberal state in the country and they're governor seems pretty lax. Add in the influence of celebrity, and the fact that they also didn't draw a line in the sand on circumstances that were likely not ideal to them. For example, the assemblywoman who wrote the bill is a Pan Africanist and modeled it after HR40. Yet on the national level Pan Africanists should be boxed out of reparations involvement and "we don't need a study" like HR40 or for them, AB3121.

They still worked with her & supported the bill. The lineage issue was huge to them I'm sure, but they saved their energy for the taskforce. You look elsewhere and this talk about lineage has devolved into the most irrelevant shyt like movie roles, who started hip hop, Black immigrants 'looking down' on us-- almost anything you can think of that has absolutely nothing to reparations.

This is exponentially harder to achieve for most other states (especially the south) and the federal government, but we could get a lot further if everyone involved left their personal gripes and bullshyt at home.

I'm not sure what you are saying.

Mrs. Weber and Jon Conyers both were specific when drafting their bills. The issue is people are pushing back with it being lineage only.

Issues are because people are pushing back on lineage based reparations. That is causing the issues. Yes, it's some folks acting stupid -- and taking it too far. But, a lot of it is push back from their push back.

People who are even on the taskforce tried to stop what Dr. Weber requested when she along with ADOSLA drafted the bill.

It's all a mess. We need non-lineage Black people to be supportive, respectful -- and allow us to demand redress without the pushback and sabotage.

We get it (and expect it) from non-Black folks -- we don't need it from other Black folks as well.

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Daps
I'm not sure what you are saying.

Mrs. Weber and Jon Conyers both were specific when drafting their bills. The issue is people are pushing back with it being lineage only.

Issues are because people are pushing back on lineage based reparations. That is causing the issues. Yes, it's some folks acting stupid -- and taking it too far. But, a lot of it is push back from their push back.

People who are even on the taskforce tried to stop what Dr. Weber requested when she along with ADOSLA drafted the bill.

It's all a mess. We need non-lineage Black people to be supportive, respectful -- and allow us to demand redress without the pushback and sabotage.

We get it (and expect it) from non-Black folks -- we don't need it from other Black folks as well.
The original draft was riddled with references of us/our ancestors as "Africans"-- any other time that would've been a loophole and the bill can't move on until it's corrected. Tone Talks tried to get her to change it to ADOS and it was edited slightly, but not to liking, even today. The chapters that broke away from them apparently moved forward with it/her & kept the importance of lineage in the back of her mind. It wasn't some line in the sand, the bill still needed passing. I doubt it was ideal for naarc or ncobra either but they suported it as well and together they got it passed so together, they could hash that portion.

Congrats to Cali but it still remains that when lineage is discussed, it usually devolves into things that have nothing to do with reparations like who started hip hop & what African parents say at home, "tethers", etc. I just don't know how that passes anything, and nothing counts until it's in writing.

And even if they had the exact specifications requested, there'd still likely be a line in the sand, the refrain has constantly been "we don't need a study" but California is studying reparations before the rollout.

George's Dilemma

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Also, Ice Cube actually helped get Newsome behind it.

He actually went with some of the members to help push behind the scenes as well.

California Governor Signs Historic Reparations Bill into Law

“After watching debate, this signing can’t come too soon,” Newsome declared during a videoconference with lawmakers and other stakeholders, including the rapper Ice Cube, who championed the bill.

This is why I felt the criticism of him during the election was overboard. He brought that Platinum plan to the table a bit late, and he wasn't as knowledgeable as he should have been. Regardless, his heart is in the right place. Folks were really calling him all kinds of names. I didn't like that at all. Amazing how quickly your folk will turn on you with a bunch of venom.

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
The original draft was riddled with references of us/our ancestors as "Africans"-- any other time that would've been a loophole and the bill can't move on until it's corrected. Tone Talks tried to get her to change it to ADOS and it was edited slightly, but not to liking, even today. The chapters that broke away from them apparently moved forward with it/her & kept the importance of lineage in the back of her mind. It wasn't some line in the sand, the bill still needed passing. I doubt it was ideal for naarc or ncobra either but they suported it as well and together they got it passed so together, they could hash that portion.

Congrats to Cali but it still remains that when lineage is discussed, it usually devolves into things that have nothing to do with reparations like who started hip hop & what African parents say at home, "tethers", etc. I just don't know how that passes anything, and nothing counts until it's in writing.

And even if they had the exact specifications requested, there'd still likely be a line in the sand, the refrain has constantly been "we don't need a study" but California is studying reparations before the rollout.

I agree. The mess online that Tariq and just Twitter and forums are doing is draining and dumb. But, it's both sides -- and lots of disrespect on both sides -- and I really don't know what to say to stop it.

And you also have to understand -- a lot of that is hurt on both sides -- to learn what other Black people think and say about AA's and -- then AA's hit back and say stupid mess and hurt them.

I no longer even engage it. But, if I see something that is not true - I do try to educate instead of going back and forth.

P.S. I forgot to add -- words mean everything in these bills -- so I understand why ADOS wants ADOS instead of African -- we know we are of African descent -- we know it's our ancestors lineage --- but for specific reparations purposes on this soil - we have to be very clear about the recipients.

Cause even the smallest word can allow others to pigeon whole themselves in. It's not about denying being of African descent. Or having African ancestors.

Last edited:

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
This is why I felt the criticism of him during the election was overboard. He brought that Platinum plan to the table a bit late, and he wasn't as knowledgeable as he should have been. Regardless, his heart is in the right place. Folks were really calling him all kinds of names. I didn't like that at all. Amazing how quickly your folk will turn on you with a bunch of venom.

I agree. Everybody was MAGA and you support TRUMP if you even said anything that implied you wanted both parties to work for your vote.

Cube is still helping though. He is just behind the scenes due to the backlash for asking for a specific Black American agenda - and having the nerve to meet with both candidates.