California is proposing a bill that would protect workers who are off the clock. Good idea?

Born2BKing

Veteran
Daps
This is totally something Republicans would be on board with as well, right @ORDER_66

SAN DIEGO — A newly introduced bill would give California workers the right to ignore non-emergency messages and calls from their boss while they're off the clock.
California would become the first state in the United States with a "Right to Disconnect" law.
"I think working as a teacher we always bring our work home and are always working weekends. I think that would be beneficial to not give up our precious home time with our kids," said Brenda, an elementary school teacher.

She says her family would benefit from the right to disconnect.
Californoa Assemblymember Matt Haney, D-San Francisco introduced the bill. He says if passed, bosses would need to clarify when employees are expected to be available and guarantee uninterrupted personal time outside of those hours.
"It used to be that you clocked in, worked really hard then clocked out and went home with your family and resting. Now we have this work culture that's a consequence of 24/7 accessibility," he said.
He says a dozen countries already have similar laws. This includes France, Portugal, Italy and Spain. He says studies show workers are happier and more productive with time to disconnect.
"My workplace we're encouraged to never look at emails or work phones after hours," said Gabriela Gabriel, who works for a nonprofit.
She says her employer encourages a good work-life balance.
"Working in the nonprofit world sometimes, the emotional toll is a little heavy. Being able to disconnect from that is great to keep your sanity and keep the hope alive we're making a difference," she said.
The state's labor commission could investigate and fine employers with repeated violations of the right to disconnect. Emergencies and scheduling purposes would be an exception to the rule.

Elim Garak

Veteran
Daps
I'm not mad at it. I haven't worked retail in awhile, but I can relate to this. I've never really had this issue at my current job. I've had a few times I've been contacted off the clock but never had any real pressure like those types of workers have.

Yapdatfool

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Ive been on both sides (in IT) and more often than not i'm tight if I have to work or answer bullshyt off the clock.

NOW if im getting paid 'on call' makes it a little better to stomach.

Wig Twistin Season

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
What I learned while WFH for a company that moved outside of California during the pandemic is that these corporations really try to treat workers like property when they can get away with it.

These motherfukkers will schedule an hour long meeting about nothing, in the middle of your day and then expect you to work a couple of extra hours to make up for the time and offer no support when they’re done with their day, but expect me to work well past my official off time.

They legit wanted me to work OT and not pay me for it. Talking about, on Friday just leave a little early. Nah… pay me for my work.

2 one 3

wavy
Daps
Reppin
Westside
This puts the squeeze on Management because what if you don’t have enough employees to cover a shift? They are going to expect the salary managers to cover and that is totally not good for their work like balance.

I have been on both sides and being on call 24/7 for a job (salary) with no extra money is for the birds… :pacspit:

WesCrook

Veteran
Daps
This appears to be one of the drawbacks of companies doing more with less.
Once had a supv ask me to come in during the morning before my afternoon flight while on vacay :camby:

Yapdatfool

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This puts the squeeze on Management because what if you don’t have enough employees to cover a shift? They are going to expect the salary managers to cover and that is totally not good for their work like balance.

I have been on both sides and being on call 24/7 for a job (salary) with no extra money is for the birds… :pacspit:

Start hiring more people :hubie:

Increase that pay increase those benefits people will work :manny:

Hurts bottom lines for shareholders and upper management tho :sas2:

Coco Loco

The Chocolate One with the Gold Cuffs
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
It will be a managers nightmare

But fukk work when I’m off… :russ: So I feel it

This!

It's admirable if people feel the need to respond or care about work when they've logged off, but Coco is absolutely TF not doing it.

I will put my OOO message on in a heartbeat.

Them: Did you get my message, you didn't respond?

Me: Did you get my OOO message?

:sas1: