California may give you $3,000 for earthquake protection except in some Negro areas

Jimi Swagger

I say whatever I think should be said
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Turtle Island to DXB
Article here: California may give you $3,000 to protect your home from earthquake
english-2017-program-zip-codes.png
Is your house earthquake ready?

If not, you may be eligible for up to $3,000 from a newly expanded state program toward a seismic retrofit, which will keep your home attached to its foundation during the next major earthquake.

The funding — available starting Wednesday, and only for 30 days — is offered for the first time to eligible homes in the Bay Area cities of Hayward, San Mateo, Redwood City, San Bruno, Daly City, Colma and El Cerrito. Funds are already available for homeowners in San Francisco, Oakland, Berkeley, Burlingame, Millbrae, Woodside and eight other Bay Area cities.

The Earthquake Brace + Bolt Program is designed to help homeowners in ZIP codes that face the highest risk of earthquake damage to homes, based on local geological hazards combined with the vulnerability due to home construction type.

crawl-space-view-2.png
Wednesday’s announcement at a southern California news conference represents a 31 percent increase in eligible ZIP codes over what was available in 2016. This year, the program expects to provide grants for 2,000 retrofits in the state, up from 1,600 last year.

In a strong earthquake, the crawl space under a home is vulnerable to collapse, causing it to fall off its foundation. A seismic retrofit bolts a house to its foundation and adds plywood to brace the walls in the crawl space.

A typical retrofit may cost between $3,000 and $7,000 depending on the location and size of the house, contractor fees, and the amount of materials and work involved. If you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer, a retrofit can cost less than $3,000.

Houses that qualify for the program tend to be: wood-framed construction built before 1979; built on a level or low slope; constructed with a 4-foot (or less) “cripple wall” under the first floor and have a raised foundation.

Registration for this program, funded by the State of California and the California Earthquake Authority, is only open through Feb. 27.

California Residential Mitigation Program

Only applicable to certain parts of the Bay Area and SoCal. Berkeley's zips qualify, but not Richmond? It's on Hayward Fault Zone. Of course Castro is covered.

Also, no grant qualifications for 90008/90056 zip codes in LA. :mjpls: Someone's property value will increase with added seismic protection when disaster comes. If I am being cynical, please correct me so I can modify the title as appropriate. If you qualify get that Golden State welfare money like the rest
:salute:

hashmander

Hale End
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Arsenal
it seems pretty limited to a particular type of home. maybe those zip codes you're talking about doesn't have those kinds of homes. if people in richmond have those kinds of homes then they need to raise hell because they've had earthquakes (late 80s and mid 90s) in the past that have damaged buildings.

hashmander

Hale End
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Arsenal
maybe it's being ignored because you people are always on that bullshyt and they know only lies come from you trumptards.

richmond is 31% white and 27% black (27.5k black people)

hayward that is included is 34% white and 12% black (17k black people).

the total black population of those oakland zip codes involved in this program is 90.1k

in fact 94605 is majority black (20.1k), 52% of the population.

BaggerofTea

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
maybe it's being ignored because you people are always on that bullshyt and they know only lies come from you trumptards.

the total black population of those oakland zip codes involved in this program is 90.1k

@#StarkSet

Jimi Swagger

I say whatever I think should be said
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Turtle Island to DXB

Thanks. Title modified! Can you also list stats on both Northern and Southern California with 70%+ population like Baldwin Hills and Ladera Heights 70%? Would list Watts but's nearly 3/4 Latino.

hashmander

Hale End
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Arsenal
Thanks. Title modified! Can you also list stats on both Northern and Southern California with 70%+ population like Baldwin Hills and Ladera Heights 70%? Would list Watts but's nearly 3/4 Latino.
you can google those zip codes if you want. the only reason i even bothered with the oakland ones were because i know it has a good number of black people and the list only had a few zip codes and i wanted to be sure they weren't conveniently leaving areas with a good number of black people in it out. now that i see that isn't the case i'll go back to my original thoughts.