Calling Wing Chunners, please explain.. :(

KyokushinKarateMan

Train hard, fight easy
Daps
Reppin
U.S.
This is a video of Wing Chun vs. various other styles including boxing, karate, kung fu, mma, muay thai, and even two wrestlers. It is an hour long, but there's a link provided in the upper right of the video to not only indicating which two styles are fighting but also to skip to the next fight.
That said, I am very disappointed in the performance of Wing Chun, losing every single match..even the sparring sessions. I tried to fall back on the reasoning that maybe most of these chunners are just beginners, but in all honesty so were their opponents and it was obvious(muay thai sparring match was an obvious amateur, and the karate guys were white belts..beginners). Being that I practice a full contact knockdown style of Karate(Kyokushin) the immediate thing that jumped out to me is that the Chunners could not take a hit and or just aren't used to real fighting contact. Very disappointing, as I am and have always been a huge secret Wing Chun fan. Please, restore my faith back in this art.. please provide some sound logical reasoning as to why every Wing Chun fighter in this video was brutalized by every style of fighting they went up against. :(

KyokushinKarateMan

Train hard, fight easy
Daps
Reppin
U.S.
Maybe...just maybe...the guy sucked overall as a fighter? :ld:

So every single one of the Chunners just happened to 'suck overall as a fighter'? Honestly, I did try to take that into account. I also told myself, 'anybody can put together a string of video clips with WC'ers getting mopped up to make the style look bad". The problem with that though is the brutal truth within the videos cannot be ignored, and the lack of videos that prove otherwise does nothing to help WC's cause. I still refuse to just toss this art to the side, as I'm sure that a proficient WC'er could defend themselves in the streets.. and ultimately that's mostly what we all get into the arts for, to be able defend ourselves..not to be able to beat other martial arts styles..so I refuse to discredit it completely..but this video has certainly opened my eyes to it's ineffectiveness against other martial arts/fighting styles..and very sadly so, as I was one of those Karateka who alwaysssss defended WC when it came up in conversation.

The Infamous

Superstar
Daps
Wing Chun is viewed almost as a joke in many Martial arts circles. Has there ever been a Wing Chun based fighter who has been successful or even semi-successful? This thread reminded me of this (watch from 1:34 to 5:15):

pez

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Queens, NY
It's the reason why Bruce Lee abandoned it. The stance is way too square and flat footed. Positioning means so much in fighting and the form doesn't allow for changing angles very well. In a fight, if the other fighter has any training at all to move in a out and sideways, the Wing Chun fighter will find himself out of position badly often.

Change

All Star
Daps
It doesn't work. That's about it. You want to watch two masters fighting? It looks like girls in a schoolyard. Read up on the Ermin Boztepe VS William Cheung fight. If you ask someone that practices they'll always say it's because of the rules and it would work in a street fight with no rules, but, well we know better.

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
It's a martial art, emphasis on art. The fighting style doesn't carry over well into real life fighting situations. Kung Fu fighters always got beat up in the early days of UFC. It wasn't even close. Plus, the kung fu dude ended up switching to regular punching, kicking and wrestling. Zero kung fu moves because they were useless.
Wing Chun as a martial art is fine. Kind of like kata in karate.

pez

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Queens, NY
All you need to know is Bruce Lee was brought up as a Wing Chun fighter and got into street fights all the time. And then switched out of Wing Chun because it was too rigid. That says a lot about the practicality of WC as a practical street fighting style.

My best bud does Wing Chun like 20 hours a week. It's a cool way to just train the basics and get some muscle memory and training. I'd put money on him on a street fight UNLESS he faces another trained fighter. Anyone with any fight training will put the beats on a regular Joe off the street.

Uncle Kingpin

No Relation
Daps
Wing Chun is only practical as an introduction to Martial Arts, like Karate or Tae Kwon Do. Once you learn the fundamentals, you can easily branch out to other Martial Arts and will pick them up quicker than if you started from scratch. Just like with music, it's easier to learn to play other instruments if you start with Piano.

KyokushinKarateMan

Train hard, fight easy
Daps
Reppin
U.S.
It's the reason why Bruce Lee abandoned it. The stance is way too square and flat footed. Positioning means so much in fighting and the form doesn't allow for changing angles very well. In a fight, if the other fighter has any training at all to move in a out and sideways, the Wing Chun fighter will find himself out of position badly often.

I'm not sure I can concur with this.. their ability to maintain the centerline/correct angle is very admirable. Being that they are mostly evenly set when in their stance, switching angles is actually faster and more effortless for them than conventional fighting stance. That's why I'm just so taken aback by the video; the style has so much validity in it's logic and principles, it's just crazy how ineffective it appeared to be

• Dap
Reactions: pez

KyokushinKarateMan

Train hard, fight easy
Daps
Reppin
U.S.
It doesn't work. That's about it. You want to watch two masters fighting? It looks like girls in a schoolyard. Read up on the Ermin Boztepe VS William Cheung fight. If you ask someone that practices they'll always say it's because of the rules and it would work in a street fight with no rules, but, well we know better.

I agree wholeheartedly. Martial Arts practicioners who fall back on the "our techniques are too deadly to work in 'sport' combat, but would in real life with no rules" are immediately dismissed by me. Unless the sport combat theyre referring to is 'point sparring'? But sadly most of them utter those sentiments in reference to why their art wouldn't work in an MMA setting/format of rules. And it's complete nonsense. If your fighting style is effective, period, then it should be able to work without you having to be permitted strike groins or gauge eyes.

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA

Return of the Khryst
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA
Wing Chun is viewed almost as a joke in many Martial arts circles. Has there ever been a Wing Chun based fighter who has been successful or even semi-successful? This thread reminded me of this (watch from 1:34 to 5:15):

wtf was this? is that fool some troll or maybe with learning difficulties? What a complete embarrassment.

KyokushinKarateMan

Train hard, fight easy
Daps
Reppin
U.S.
All you need to know is Bruce Lee was brought up as a Wing Chun fighter and got into street fights all the time. And then switched out of Wing Chun because it was too rigid. That says a lot about the practicality of WC as a practical street fighting style.

My best bud does Wing Chun like 20 hours a week. It's a cool way to just train the basics and get some muscle memory and training. I'd put money on him on a street fight UNLESS he faces another trained fighter. Anyone with any fight training will put the beats on a regular Joe off the street.

True story