Cameroon Born Soccer Player Scores against Them FOR Switzerland in World Cup

Daps
Economic development isn’t really the problem, the real problem is African countries period don’t know how to cultivate talent. You’ll go farther and improve your skillset going to a country that has a knack for eyeing/scouting talent along with knowing how to cultivate it.
This is simply not true. Weah, Eto'o, Drogba, Yaya, Okocha, Essien, Mane, Kante, Salah etc were all developed in Africa.

Inokja

Rookie
Daps
Its just confusing perhaps to some American commenters because we have foreign born athletes compete in our sports leagues all the time, but when the Olympics comes around, those athletes often represent their home countries and compete for their national teams.

I guess football and the World Cup are a different dynamic though. I am ignorant of the dynamic myself. But since world cup and the sport has never been as popular in America as it is around the world, perhaps more of us are ignorant of that difference as well.

I'm sure some of these athletes were born and/or mostly raised in the countries they represent as well.

concise

Veteran
Daps
EnD-09NW4AUimKG

That picture is a meme picture.

Here's somebody using it earlier this year in June:

concise

Veteran
Daps

nah

capitalism made us mercernaries for hire. there is no pay in honour for the sake of it. lets stop being idealistic.

the only wake up is for these countries to get budgets up to pay players to play at home. but you can't prioritize building sports leagues when your countries are broke.

the picture of his father says it all. watching his son beat his country in the comforts that leaving his country afforded them all. :francis:

the big house and that big television. would he give it all away to sit on a stool and listen to a radio broadcast somewhere for home pride? (i'm embellishing for the point) DOUBT IT.

He's gonna grab some stiff spirit from his cabinet and drown his sorrows and forget about it when he wakes up cuz their life was uplifted by his sons opportunities.

what wake up call?

pay-up-rub-fingers.gif

that pic of his "father" is a meme picture with the TV image photoshopped for today's narrative. Here it is being used in June 2022.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
:francis: this should be a wakeup call

like 80% of the french team could be on african teams if they wanted to
bukayo saka should be playing for nigeria instead of england. but nigeria is so trash now that even nigerians dont want to play for it

Saka was born and raised in England though

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
A lot of the players that are eligible to play for an African country are born and raised in a European country, so they may not have that strong of a connection. Also, you have to factor in these guys' risk of losing potential earnings and a spot on the roster due to AFCON. I remember Osimhen got threatened to pull out of AFCON since that tournament takes place during season. Another important thing I am sure there are more marketing opportunities to play for a European country. I do feel it's a mistake for many of these guys that are eligible to play for an African country to hold out in hope to play for a European country. I feel many guys miss out on doing that, which is a bigger issue imo.

SheWantTheD

Veteran
Daps
These are stupid takes.

They should play for their country and takea huge ass paycut?

Something they've dedicated countless hours from an early age their entire life and shouldn't take the bag???

If they get injured playing for their country and have no skills other than kicking a ball will you take care of them financially?

This shyt a sport and entertainment