Can an argument be made that todays rappers are more talented than "golden era" rappers??

Larry Lambo

Superstar
Daps
I think we need to give it time. 10-15 years from now, when we look on this time period people will gravitate to the more lyrical rappers of today (Kendrick, Cole, Krit, Gibbs) and the disposable artists will be disposed of.

From 2000-2003, Ja Rule and Nelly were the biggest rap artists outside of Jay-Z & Em. Now, their music is a footnote. Lyricism lasts. "Catchiness" is fleeting.

Daps
Skipped to the last page but...

That point about todays rappers being better hitmakers than 80s/90s/2000s cats and how music today just bangs compared to back then is dumb as fukk. Those dudes were making the club bangers of their era. In 15 years our kids will be talking about how Future sounds dated and the production sucks compared to their music. Its always the same shyt.

Coherent

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Las Vegas/Maine
I love the classics, 80's 90's and I'm 25 and grew up with Nelly's, 50 Cent's, etc. when I was a kid I loved both those artists, but when I discovered real hip hop, learned about the culture and heard that street poetry I was hooked.

The problem with today's hip hop is a lot of the mainstream shyt compromises the Elements of hip hop, specifically ideas like knowledge of self, being real, authentic and having integrity. All rappers talk about today is pipe dreams instead of the real moves they're making in communities, sharing knowledge, wisdom and observing that part of the craft. I feel like as long as your doing that, stay real to you then I'll fux with it.

But cats are right, I got homies who grew through the 90's and told me that cats like the LOX, DMX, and a lot of other dope artists we consider legends today caught Hate. So I mean, yeah even dope shyt will get hate - it happens to Kendrick, cole, Locksmith, etc. but only the real will survive in hip hop.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
I think we need to give it time. 10-15 years from now, when we look on this time period people will gravitate to the more lyrical rappers of today (Kendrick, Cole, Krit, Gibbs) and the disposable artists will be disposed of.

From 2000-2003, Ja Rule and Nelly were the biggest rap artists outside of Jay-Z & Em. Now, their music is a footnote. Lyricism lasts. "Catchiness" is fleeting.
This is so stupid

Gibbs and Krit are not listened to in their prime which is now

That's like you saying In 2005 that Papoose will outlast Nelly

dem bath salts

To be reckoned with
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Broward
nikkas had females singing hooks cuz nobody ain't tryingvto here j. Cole fukked their eardrum uo. Nikkas had females singing cuz that shyt sounds better than auto tune.

Marlostanfield.

High On That Ray Charles
Daps
Older generation do bf want to admit but this thread is right, these younger guys are creating new styles which is good for hip hop. Rap get stagnant hearing same old 90s style or early 2000s style.

A lot of people are conformed to era they grew up in and don't know how to blend in the new.

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
I think this idea of rappers being so primitive in the past but the newer ones are sooooo advanced is a myth like a MF...

A lot of dudes here, including the 90s crew, tend to disregard the 80s as a whole like it was never a thing... but shyt...

Run's verses on THIS RIGHT HERE...

don't sound much different flow-wise from...

:russ: Tell me that ain't the same cadence.

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps
in the 90s, all you had to do was spit those lyrical miracle raps...most of the rappers in that time were ugly, couldn't dress or harmonize, and make a HIT song that could cross over into the mainstream...they were literally making songs for other nikkas to sing along to :mjlol:

in todays climate, the masses realized ANYBODY could rap or spit bars, so in the early 2000's they demanded more from a "rapper"...now you have to be a strong performer on stage, be melodic and harmonize hooks, know how to hold your own on the dance floor, look good and dress fresh...you have to be really talented to make it in the game today

do you think its a coincidence that the billboard hot 100 is flooded with todays generation of hip hop music? or is it safe to say, the quality of music is simply better than back in the days? it reaches and touches way more people now than ever before...billboard was once filled with nikkas like the beatles and rolling stones...now lil yachty and uzi taking up those same spots :win:

Are we finally seeing what hip hop is truly capable of?

shut the fukk up

OP how old are you?

How did we get to 8 pages:gucci: Hell no there aint no argument.. fukk out of here

Ziploc

Celestial
Daps
you show lack of understanding,zeitgeist,fundamentals of music and i could go on..save to say you need more people breh...try again..

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
The biggest thing I give this era is the production. it's clear production has surpassed the mic talent. I actually would appreciate if there were split branches of hip hop where one was just an instrumental genre. A lot of dudes ain't adding much to songs - from drake to Uzi vert to Ross, etc - but they end up with some fire ass beats that ride with or without rapping. :ohlawd:

Can't stop playing this :whew:

Xtz23

All Star
Daps
I'm not even going to go there.:what::ufdup: Dumb thread! Hip hop is dead breh been over a decade no need to keep giving the new rappers
fake shine:aicmon:

Last edited: