Can any MMA fans explain to me Ronda's arm bar?

CBoz

We Are NXT!
Daps
Reppin
The NXT Universe
WTF is this crap? :dahell:

maxresdefault.jpg

Is this actually a MMA hold I've never seen before?

Why cant she just do a normal arm bar like everyone else?
ronda-rousey-armbar.jpg

Also don't give the excuse that she'd break their arm for real. Plenty have used this move in the past and it's so easy to fake.

Beautiful Bobby Eatin

SWEEEEEEEEEETNESS!
Daps
Reppin
Terra Belle, Georgia
Wrestling is fake my guy

No explanation is needed. It’s her finisher. It’s supposed to hurt per the script. The end

Want us the breakdown the mandible claw next?
The mandible claw strikes the hidden pressure point Gotoku, when hit it doesnt matter what you do...

tenor.gif

CBoz

We Are NXT!
Daps
Reppin
The NXT Universe
Wrestling is fake my guy

No explanation is needed. It’s her finisher. It’s supposed to hurt per the script. The end

No shyt but the point is to make the shyt look legit. This does not do that considering what she used to do and others have done in the past.

GoddamnyamanProf

Countdown to Armageddon
Daps
Just trying to keep her signature finish from UFC while differentiating from others that use and have used armbar finishes

mr x

Superstar
Daps
Looks like she's twisting the arm at the elbow joint. Would probably hurt.

Hey_zeus

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
It's trash lol. Idk why they made Asuka quit doing her textbook version for this doo doo.:camby:

TrueEpic08

Dum Shiny
Daps
Reppin
SoCal State Beaches
It's a way for her to control how much pressure she puts on the elbow joint without actually hurting her opponent. Very much a work a la Brock Lesnar's kimura "arm breaks;" the arm isn't even extended in that picture.

Now, I've seen people use armbar variations as counters, that will look something like that, but with the arm properly extended (so you extend the arm, put it on the hip facing away from the torso, wrap your arm on that same side under your opponent's extended arm, and crank away). Those SUCK to be in, since the pressure will often be directly on the elbow joint. I've also seen omoplata variations that look vaguely like that picture, which also suck to be in. Bottom line, it looks ridiculous because the only way to perform an armbar variation like that and not hurt your opponent is to make it look ridiculous.

Or she could just use the regular armbar and bypass all of this. It's not as if wrestlers haven't been using worked versions of that for 6 or 7 decades. :manny:

Hoss

Legalize us.
Daps
Reppin
The North
Agreed. Looks slightly uncomfortable at best. It certainly isn't convincing as a finisher that a supposed killer should be using. Props to Mickie for that sell face, though.

I can only guess that they don't have faith in Rousey's ability to make it look legit without actually tearing somebody's arm off. But surely they can do better than this.

Then again, today's WWE audience doesn't really give a fukk, right?

Scottie Drippin

Should Never Mention Me
Daps
Reppin
The Traps of Unified Korea
Wrestling is fake my guy

HORRIBLE example. Let someone press down under your tongue and underneath your chin at the same time and tell me you don't start crying immediately :russ: