Can you tell who directed a movie just by looking at it?

generic-username

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Nothing
I was at my sister's place on New Yrs day and they were watching this movie about Benghazi called 13 Hours, and a lot of the explosion, and visuals were reminiscent of the Transformers movies. I knew Michael Bay was the one who directed those movies, so i asked my brother in law if he knew who directed the movie he was like he didn't know, so i Googled the movie and i turned out to be right.

Kilgore Trout

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Alabama
Depends on the director

But there are less and less auteurs these days so it will start being harder to tell.

Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Drink wolf cola
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
I can usually spot a Christopher Nolan film. Peter Jackson has a very distinct visual and cinematic style too. James Cameron, Martin Scorsese, and the Farrelly brothers are guys I’ve been able to spot as well in the tone or visual style.

Doctor Doom

Rest in peace, Akira Toriyama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Latveria
JJ/Michael Bay for the lens flare alone.

I can spot a Scorsese film just on how much focus is given on the dialogue and how the characters are talking.

generic-username

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Nothing
I can usually spot a Christopher Nolan film. Peter Jackson has a very distinct visual and cinematic style too. James Cameron, Martin Scorsese, and the Farrelly brothers are guys I’ve been able to spot as well in the tone or visual style.
I just saw Dunkirk recently and i can definitely see Chris Nolan's directing style. I saw a lot of similarities between Dunkirk, Interstellar and even Inception.

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
Half the time, yeah. There's visual and nonvisual queues when you look at them individually you can't tell, but when blended together you can easily identify.

I used to mix John Mctiernan and Michael Bay, Steven Spielberg and Robert Zemeckis, F. Gary Gray, Antoine Fuqua and Tony Scott, amongst others up but when you analyze none of them are alike.