Capone N Noreaga: The War Report 20 Year Anniversary Thread

Morose Polymath

GODHOOD
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Above The Clouds
Classic album..
"Halfway Thug" has some of the best Noreaga bars ever and was my go to track in high school to get me amped.

'Cause he's a halfway - thug that he betray
If you got locked that ass'd probably come home gay
Smack, blood out ya mouth (what the fukk you say)
Break your feeble ass down ('cause you ain't in my league)
:ohlawd:

smokeurobinson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
One of the narratives hardly spoken about this album is that Capone was the leader and Nore was 2nd string. What makes this album the classic that it is the 2nd string stepped up to plate and held down the parts of the album that the leader couldnt because he was in prison. U can here the gaps thruought the album where Capone just wasnt around to lay his verse for certain songs. Those gaps are a constant reminder that Capone was locked up and then there was the build up for Capones release, all started by this album. To me thats what really made the album special.

Bought the official at nobody beats the wiz after coming home from work..Like Wu TangForever this too was an album that I listened to for the 1st time while smoking a blunt alone, sitting in the starecase of my cousins projects. The high really kicked in for me when the song "Drivers Seat" came on, I'll never forget that.

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Capone-N-Noreaga’s ‘The War Report’ is a Genre-Defining Classic
by: Maliik Obee Special to the AFRO

/ (Courtesy photo) /

April 13, 2016
1997 was a cloudy period for hip-hop, as the world was forced to deal with the deaths of 2Pac and The Notorious B.I.G. Sean Combs was dominating the charts with bubblegum rap while dressed in shiny-suits, and most of the industry was following his lead. Meanwhile in Queens, New York, Capone-N-Noreaga were helping to restore
Caone-Noreaga.jpg
Gangster Rap with their debut “The War Report.”

Capone and Noreaga met behind bars at Green Haven Correctional Facility in Stormville, NY. Capone, a product of the infamous (no pun intended) Queensbridge Houses, was a solo artist in constant trouble with the law. 20 minutes away, Noreaga battled troubles of his own in Lefrak City, a notorious housing project. The duo had an unofficial third member and mentor in Tragedy Khadafi, an original member of the Juice Crew. Originally named Intelligent Hoodlum, Khadafi’s solo career suffered a set back when he went to jail.

The three emcees were vastly different, from flow to slang to views of the street. Noreaga combined street vernacular and the teachings of the Five Percent Nation with his Puerto Rican roots as he spit with a choppy, unorthodox flow. Capone combined his raspy voice with a silky delivery while detailing life in Queensbridge. Tragedy Khadafi, also with the Five Percent Nation, rapped like a seasoned mentor over the duo, dropping gems of street knowledge and life lessons.

Capone was incarcerated for most of the album, as he appeared on less than half of the songs. Nore carried the torch, using the spotlight to shed life on his lifestyle with quirky punchlines and off-the-wall brash reality.

The War Report played like an actual observation of a battle from the frontline of Queens, with two different perspectives (Queensbridge and Lefrak). Each track played like a different segment chronicling a war in the streets. The grimy production of producers like Havoc (Mobb Deep), Marley Marl, The Hitmen and Lord Finesse created the dark vibe of the album.

Mobb Deep made an appearance on “L.A., L.A.,” a response to The Dogg Pounds “New York, New York,” a shot at New York rappers. At a time when many New York rappers ignored the East-West tension, C-N-N and Mobb Deep fired back in defense of their city.

The irony of the Mobb Deep collaboration is the clear tension between both crews, especially after Noreaga shot a member of the Mobb Deep entourage following an altercation. Noreaga detailed this on “Live on Live Long,” a track dedicated to the incarcerated Capone.

“I went at them, and clapped them up after we fought, then the beef got deeper than what they click thought.”

The single “T.O.N.Y” (Top of New York) featured C-N-N and Tragedy Khadafi at the top of their game. The three emcees verbally sparred, combining teachings of the Five Percent Nation with street savvy. But it is Tragedy Khadafi who takes the cake, as he drops life lessons.

Lines like “Reach Heaven in a pearly white Acura. Until then, I’ma shine ‘til my last sin, resurrect through the birth of my son, and live again” displayed Khadafi’s lyrical prowess.

The dark feel of the album resonated for the entire 20 tracks, as the lyrical content was like taking a walk through Queens in the late 90s.

From committing a robbery on “Stick You,” to getting a tutorial on “Bloody money,” “The War Report” will turn you into a street soldier in 70 minutes.

Capone even shines on a solo track “Capone Bone,” putting his braggadocio swagger in full effect as he charms the ladies.

But Noreaga stole the show on “The War Report,” combining an unusual flow with tons of one-liners that will make you do a double take.

If you are looking to add a genre-defining album to your collection, then “The War Report” is a must for your collection.

Capone-N-Noreaga’s ‘The War Report’ is a Genre-Defining Classic | Afro

u mad son?

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
they way they was slanging on this album was fukking ridiculous

Rae, Ghost, Nore - slang vets

20th anniversary of this album and wu forever tomorrow, may have to get the bottle out for this weekend. got both on vinyl, wu forever limited edition unopened, think its gonna get cracked.

the fukking production though :hhh: