Career Profiles

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
I don't make many threads on here often, but i post a lot and in between jokes I try to drop some gems for the career oriented and corporate world. I been dwelling and milling this over for a minute. I'm in supply chain and prior to that I was in the radio industry. I am fairly experienced and have held several roles high up in several fortune 500's. I'm pushing 40 and if I was really focused, I'd be a VP right now if I wanted too...but the thing is I got in my career track kinda late compared to my peers (I bullshyted with radio and music) because I simply didn't know what was available to me.

As a black man, I've realized similarly to opportunity...simply knowing what is out there to a nikka has been not only the biggest problem for me...but to many of my peers. I'm not a genius...but I look at some of my other contemporaries in the corporate world, even some who are profiled on TV...these nikkas on TV running companies and such, they're not as smart or driven as the media would lead you to believe, they just caught a break; be it connections, money, race, the market, etc...

Would "The Coli" be interested in doing a series by career/industry spotlighting a couple of posters who are making moves in their respective fields? I could set it up and collaborate with Coli members and do different fields and try to work with folks I've seen in here doing their thing in their respective field?

Morethan1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Midwest
I like this idea and you definitely can use me as an example or profile if this takes off

I'm a P&C underwriter

If you need any additional information let me know.

If the thread don't take off dm me

This is the types of threads that should remain on the 1st page of this section

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
I like this idea and you definitely can use me as an example or profile if this takes off

I'm a P&C underwriter

Thanks! I'll definitely reach out.

I'm serious. I've just had so many experiences and interactions in my life. I personally know career criminals AND black multimillionaires who aren't athletes or rappers...and these nikkas grew up hood as fukk.

I'm always tryna uplift black folks, and one commonality I've noticed since I was a teenager is...we don't know what the fukk is out there to us.

There's a lot of stereotypes on all kinds of bullshyt, but the common thread is you either gotta be a baller, rapper, do something illegal, get a city job, or luck up and hit the lottery. I've known so many people who've done all that...I stop short of really saying the folks who I know...some of whom are on TV everyday or have been around. It's not as unattainable as we think it is.

I would just like to open people up to a world of possibilities.

Big Mountain Hélà

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
954/718
Thanks! I'll definitely reach out.

I'm serious. I've just had so many experiences and interactions in my life. I personally know career criminals AND black multimillionaires who aren't athletes or rappers...and these nikkas grew up hood as fukk.

I'm always tryna uplift black folks, and one commonality I've noticed since I was a teenager is...we don't know what the fukk is out there to us.

There's a lot of stereotypes on all kinds of bullshyt, but the common thread is you either gotta be a baller, rapper, do something illegal, get a city job, or luck up and hit the lottery. I've known so many people who've done all that...I stop short of really saying the folks who I know...some of whom are on TV everyday or have been around. It's not as unattainable as we think it is.

I would just like to open people up to a world of possibilities.
:myman:

Amo Husserl

All Star
Daps
That's a good look, I've spent most of my time in school getting degrees and certifications relevant to my field.
Seen people far less qualified take off, but they knew someone who knew someone.
Doing it from scratch is definitely an uphill battle.
Knowing what's available is a huge advantage to becoming qualified.

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
Cool...

I'll start trying to figure out the industries and the posters who are in them. I'll also suggest specific jobs in those industries, a brief profile of what that industry is about, and what a typical career trajectory looks like.

Here are the industries I'm thinking, feel free to @ or suggest people.

Supply chain/Manufacturing
Underwriting
Law
IT/Computers
Media/News
Music/Film
Medicine/Healthcare
Advertising/Marketing
Construction
Agriculture
Entertainment
Restaurants/Hospitality
Food/Beverage
Fashion
Education
Finance/Accounting
Sales/Retail
Telecommunications
Transportation

I'll be honest, I don't know much about the industries that I haven't connected with so I'm going to rely on the posters I connect with as the best source for info. I am going to put together a brief summary/questionnaire so that all the profiles are the same across each.

Give me a few and I'll circle back with more info and hopefully the first profile.

RaspberryFitted

Boyz In Motion Member
Daps
Reppin
G-Co

I'm a P&C underwriter

Did an internship with a Insurance company under Business Insurance on the Underwriting side

Now I’m interning in Claims. Gunning for their Operations sector

Steel

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC - ATL-MIA
I don't make many threads on here often, but i post a lot and in between jokes I try to drop some gems for the career oriented and corporate world. I been dwelling and milling this over for a minute. I'm in supply chain and prior to that I was in the radio industry. I am fairly experienced and have held several roles high up in several fortune 500's. I'm pushing 40 and if I was really focused, I'd be a VP right now if I wanted too...but the thing is I got in my career track kinda late compared to my peers (I bullshyted with radio and music) because I simply didn't know what was available to me.

As a black man, I've realized similarly to opportunity...simply knowing what is out there to a nikka has been not only the biggest problem for me...but to many of my peers. I'm not a genius...but I look at some of my other contemporaries in the corporate world, even some who are profiled on TV...these nikkas on TV running companies and such, they're not as smart or driven as the media would lead you to believe, they just caught a break; be it connections, money, race, the market, etc...

Would "The Coli" be interested in doing a series by career/industry spotlighting a couple of posters who are making moves in their respective fields? I could set it up and collaborate with Coli members and do different fields and try to work with folks I've seen in here doing their thing in their respective field?

At my companies the VP of supply chain making 300k+. Its a good field to be in right now. I wish i was introduced to more career fields/opportunities when i was younger. But its worked out im currently a System Admin for large DOD contractor whos big in supply chain. I'm also writing a book on the side.

trap101

All Star
Daps
I'm in my late 30's doing an undergrad degree in math and stats with aspirations of graduate work. I don't have work experience but I've spent a few extra years getting my degree because of what OP mentioned of us not knowing what is out there. Getting to Uni amd maybe because I was older and had a focused mindset, the way my mind was blown by all of the knwoledge available out there, but we are for the most part "kept in the dark" about these things. Guidance on navigating academia I'm in.