Castlevania Showrunner Is Working On An R-Rated Power Rangers Animated Series

Norrin Radd

To me, my board!
Daps
Reppin
Zenn-La
tumblr_ol5swmIy781s5zf6fo1_540.jpg

The showrunner on Netflix’s new Castlevania series, Adi Shankar, is working on an R-rated reboot of Power Rangers series from the ‘90s.

During an interview with Polygon, Shankar said his next big project was a Power Rangers meets Dragon Ball Z type series that would reimagine the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers series that ran between 1993 and 1999. The show would be an animated series and Shankar said it would be the most violent version of the show to date.

“It’s a complete retelling of the first three seasons,” Shankar said. “And it’s going to be really fukking dark. Darker than any other Power Rangers series.”

Shankar is already working on the script for the first season and wants to launch the series within the next 18 months, but has yet to sell the series to a network. When asked if there were any potential suitors, Shankar said there were a couple of networks interested but he wanted to bring the show to Netflix. Shankar is currently working with the internet network on the recently announced Castlevania.

“Netflix is doing what every other network should be doing,” Shankar said. “I’ve worked with almost every network and Netflix just gets it. The world we live in now has disrupted the idea of what entertainment is and Netflix gets it.”

Polygon has reached out to Netflix for comment on the series and will update when more information becomes available.

Shankar said what he wanted to get away from with the revamp was the monster-of-the-week format the original Power Rangers series had to follow. Instead, he wanted to make it a linear series and focus on the essential story elements.

“If you look at what shows are like today, they’re long movies,” Shankar said. “It’s a format paradigm and I want to explore creating these types of new shows with Power Rangers.”

Like Castlevania, Shankar wants the Power Rangers series to have climactic battle sequences and feel large in scale. He wanted to merge the best parts of the Power Rangers series (the characters and the world they live in) with the aspects of DragonBall Z the series became famous for (the long and extensive fight sequences).

“We’re going to focus on the beats of what made each show great and turn that into one, entirely new Power Rangers series,” Shankar said.

Right now, this is just a concept that Shankar is working on, but he’s hoping to sell the series pretty soon. Right now, his current focus is on Castlevania, which he told Polygon will set the bar for video game to TV adaptations.

The first part of Castlevania’s first season will air this year.

Castlevania showrunner working on an R-rated Power Rangers reboot

I think Netflix is the only place where something like this might survive.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Read it earlier and my first thought was: I hope he's got Saban on board.

They crushed the buildings when the short popped up and they're very protective of the power ranger brand. If he's serious about this just please have those ducks in a row because it could be dope

Turk

Young, Gifted, and Black
Daps
Reppin
Southside
I've always thought Power Rangers would be better suited as a cartoon show

parallax

Superstar
Daps
r rated power rangers is a fukking waste. all to just reuse the same mighty morphin shyt. if it were original concepts, or hell even the other series that they never use, that would be something

that, and mr "bury me with my money" isnt gonna fukk up his cash flow with this

Won Won

Superstar
Daps
Does this really need a gritty R-rated spin?

I only watched the first one with :wrist: Billy, but it seems like a franchise that's supposed to be a little goofy and a little campy.