Cavs players mocked coach John Beilein by playing 'thug' songs, per report

Discussion in 'The Coliseum' started by douche, Feb 19, 2020.

1. douche

douche All Star Supporter

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    NULL
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

A number of reports say John Beilein is no longer coaching the Cavs, and a story from The Athletic details the "failed experiment," as the publication called it.

The story, with reporting from Shams Charania, Jason Lloyd and Joe Vardon, goes into a lot of detail, but one of the big takeaways is just how much Beilein's thug/slug comment made an impact in his eventual demise. If you don't remember, about a month ago ESPN reported Beilein was heard in a team meeting saying his players were playing like "thugs."

The coach later told ESPN he thought he said slugs.

"I didn't realize that I had said the word 'thugs,' but my staff told me later I did and so I must have said it," Beilein told ESPN in January. "I meant to say slugs, as in slow moving. We weren't playing hard before, and now we were playing harder. I meant it as a compliment. That's what I was trying to say. I've already talked to eight of my players tonight, and they are telling me that they understand."

It initially appeared Beilein's players had gotten over the comment, but Wednesday's report from The Athletic tells a different story.

From The Athletic:

His tenure in Cleveland essentially ended during a film session on Jan. 8 in a Detroit hotel, of all places. That's when he called his players "thugs" during a film session. He insisted later he meant to say slugs, and he tried to apologize the next day, but a number of the players never really embraced his explanation. In fact, some of them thought it was an insult to their intelligence, one player told The Athletic.

"There was no coming back from that," he said.

Instead, multiple players began playing songs that included the word "thug" whenever Beilein was within earshot, sources said: Bone Thugz-n-Harmony’s "Thuggish Ruggish Bone" and Tupac’s "Thugz Mansion" among them. As the team boarded the bus a few days after the incident, one player was intentionally playing Trick Daddy’s "I’m a Thug" with Beilein a few feet away. Other players blasted songs with the word "thug" loudly during workouts in the facility. Players did this to make light of a very tough situation, according to one team source.

"The worst part to me was not owning that he said it," one player told The Athletic.

While the fact a number of players were playing songs with the word "thug" in them is funny on the surface, the comment clearly rubbed some players the wrong way. The fact some "never really embraced his explanation" is a pretty big problem.

The story goes into more detail, but the overall summary is that players just never accepted Beilein as their leader. Another section of the story says players were turned off by his coaching style, and even said Beilein was "stunned by the culture of the modern NBA player."

This was simply not a good fit for Beilein, and it suggests he'll likely seek another college opportunity rather than remain in the NBA.

Cavs players mocked coach John Beilein by playing 'thug' songs, per report

Megadeus, eXodus, Rawster and 7 others dapped this.
  2. MJ Truth

MJ Truth Veteran Supporter

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $225500.00

Of course they didnt accept his bullshyt explanation, and that explanation was a blatant insult to their intelligence.

3. douche

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    NULL
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

4. SoulController

SoulController Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Almighty Garden State
    Coli Cash:
    $1398493.00

thuggish ruggish bone was the first thing that came to mind, but was not sure since only K Love was alive when it came out :dead:

5. Don Drogo

Don Drogo Superstar

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $197346.36

I heard Darius Garland walked into practice like Bobby Brown in Thug Lovin

[​IMG]

But don't ask me to confirm that

Bob-omb, Yung Pharaoh, RhodyRum and 89 others dapped this.
  6. douche

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    NULL
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

7. thatrapsfan

thatrapsfan Superstar

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    NULL
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

From this article:

His tenure in Cleveland essentially ended during a film session on Jan. 8 in a Detroit hotel, of all places. That’s when he called his players “thugs” during a film session. He insisted later he meant to say slugs, and he tried to apologize the next day, but a number of the players never really embraced his explanation. In fact, some of them thought it was an insult to their intelligence, one player told The Athletic.

“There was no coming back from that,” he said.

Instead, multiple players began playing songs that included the word “thug” whenever Beilein was within earshot, sources said: Bone Thugz-n-Harmony’s “Thuggish Ruggish Bone” and Tupac’s “Thugz Mansion” among them. As the team boarded the bus a few days after the incident, one player was intentionally playing Trick Daddy’s “I’m a Thug” with Beilein a few feet away. Other players blasted songs with the word “thug” loudly during workouts in the facility. Players did this to make light of a very tough situation, according to one team source.

8. ORDER_66

ORDER_66 Messiah 2020 & Aetheon & K'nuba 2 release

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Queens,NY
    Coli Cash:
    $239073.00

Played thuggish ruggish bone by bone thugz n harmony thugs mansion by Tupac and I'm a thug by trick daddy... :laff: so much fukkery:bryan:

9. Illeye buckmatic

Illeye buckmatic I Don't Stunt I Regulate Supporter

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    A Buckeye State Of Mind
    Coli Cash:
    $11125953.00

:russ::russ::russ::russ:

10. Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Thavoiceofthevoiceless All Star Supporter

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Mississippi/Tennessee
    Coli Cash:
    $500.00

11. adgv85

adgv85 Respectful Fade Runner & Card Puller

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $99515.00

What an absolute piece of shyt...dude had the audacity to say he meant "slugs"?! :gucci:

12. Illeye buckmatic

Illeye buckmatic I Don't Stunt I Regulate Supporter

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    A Buckeye State Of Mind
    Coli Cash:
    $11125953.00

:russ::pachaha::mjlol:

They was probably looking like:shaq::mjlit::jawalrus::steviej::mjgrin: while hitting the play button:dead:

Caclein was like:francis::wow::dwillhuh::skip::mjcry:

13. Kenny West

Kenny West Superstar

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    NULL
    Coli Cash:
    $330397.00

This coach was racist to his players, nobody believes his excuses and yet he's still in his position

NNBA :mjpls:

14. Brozay

Brozay Veteran Supporter

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $2094000.00

he resigned from his position though

15. Kenny West

Kenny West Superstar

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    NULL