Daps
Reppin
UK
Chance The Rapper Declares Kanye West “The Greatest Artist Of This Generation”
May 12, 2016 | 8:00 AM
by Danielle Harling
Chance-The-Rapper_05-12-2016.jpg

Instagram/Chance The Rapper

Chance The Rapper refers to Kanye Westas “the greatest artist of this generation.”

During an interview, which took place as Chance The Rapper and Lin-Manuel Miranda were shooting for their newly-released Complex cover, the two were asked if artists should feel it's their responsibility to dote on their accomplishments.

Chance went on to explain that artists shouldn't be held responsible for boasting on themselves, but did explain why an artist like Kanye West is the exception.

"There's not really a responsibility at all to tell people of your accomplishments, but I think in Kanye's situation, it's Kanye West," Chance The Rapper said. "If I was the greatest artist of this generation and a few past generations and a few generations going forward, I would probably say it all the time. Especially if I was black and people didn't really like me. I'd be like 'Let me remind you all the fukkin' time'...I think it's about being a polarizing figure. So that 200 years from now when nobody really remembers any of our names, people will talk about him being an a$$hole and also being great."

Prior to speaking on Kanye, Chance explained why he doesn't consider himself a trailblazer in music.

"I don't really consider myself a trailblazer," he said. "I'm more of just a product of the music versus music industry fight that's been going on forever...I definitely feel liking I'm racing to write everything that I possibly can. Like Alexander. Talking about Hip Hop, it is very much so about the Eminem, 8 Mile, 'you only got one shot.' I think everything's about that because we kind of have been conditioned to understand music as a field where you get discovered or put on...Every shot, when you're a rapper--You kinda look at every shot as one you're supposed to take."

Video of Chance The Rapper speaking on Kanye West being "the greatest," can be found below.

For additional Chance The Rapper coverage, watch the following DX Daily:

ciubaca

Superstar
Daps
kanye & greatest don't belong in the same sentence
if not him than who?
Think about it. Lately we didnt have any artists that had ppl lose their shyt over. No one with the same lvl of fame as MJ, Beatles etc.
Now im not comparing Kanye to them, im just saying :yeshrug:

Last edited:

Nobodyknows

All Star
Daps
Reppin
UK
if not him than who?
Think about it. Lately we didnt have any artists that ppl lose their shyt over. No one with the same lvl of fame as MJ, Beatles etc.
Now im not comparing Kanye to them, im just saying :yeshrug:
Eminem is the closest to having the level of fame to MJ..
Selling 80k+ tickets in under 15 minutes :whew:

But time will tell as to who will be praised as the next megastar icon..

Fani Willis fan

Veteran
Daps
He could've been if he stopped making music after 808s

Kanye is just a parody of himself now , the kardashians really saved him
I dont like Yeezus but i understand that its not targeted to me, MBDTF was his last great project thats universally accepted