Charlamange says the average rapper in 2015 put in more work in the streets than 90s rappers

Drip Bayless

Superstar
Daps
Facts

The industry been soft. you got nikkas in the industry that are legit scared of KEEF and that nikka cant even go back to his old block. :bhop12:
I've never understood why this is the test for who really bout it. We saw what happened when that nikka Chinx went back to his old block. Who the fukk wants to go the old block in the first place? Isn't that the point of rapping, to make it off the block? Besides, half them nikkas did him dirty even after he tried to put them on. Like nikkas don't really understand that you can't spoonfeed everybody, but they see you put the Day 1s on and they get salty. Keef tried to put Bosstop on and that nikka robbed him. fukk the block

Flav

Where the dice game at?
Daps
Those little fruity fakkits is dangerous these days. They do a bunch stupid shyt for Internet fame without thinking about the consequences.

90s nikkas was raised in churches and shyt. We thought about the consequences and was it worth before we did it.

I call these faggity ass kids these days "baby snakes".

Flav

Where the dice game at?
Daps
exactly

what does this have to do with making great music?

nothing at all.

so who gives a fukk who's a nerd and who's a real gangsta

not me

i just wanna hear some good raps

and the 90s had GOOD RAPS

Real shyt!

I don't care what your background look like as long as your music is good and your not trying to play that roll off the mic and in interviews and shyt (hello Rick Ross) I could careless about your background.

Eminem rapped about gettin "peed on by bullies" and that didn't stop me from enjoying his music.

Stress Welker

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Excuse me if this was already said, not trying to read all 12 pages of posts.

Who cares? It's entertainment. Why do I care if these artists are/were in the streets? I ain't trying to live vicariously through no rapper.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
I hate when people use the correlation of education determining your level of realness. So cause someone attended a performaning arts school means they aren't thorough like a dude who dropped out? That's one of black people problems that sucks to see. The more, or better, education you have takes you further away from black people's perception of your "realness". Sad.

These dumb dudes worship goon and c00n activities

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
hes actually gotta point b/c in the 90's the likelihood of people finding out about you're background was slim.

now in this social media age where anybody can find out info bout you, the socalled street rappers cant be fake anymore.

streets talk. most backgrounds were not secret in the ;90s.

social media is overrated as f*ck.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
The reason for 360 deals is because of all the money making opportunities available to artist. Back in the day it was your album sales and the Chitlin circuit unless you was a star. If you was a local rapper yo ass stayed local back then. Wasn't no internet to get you a fan base outside of your market.

there was indeed the internet in the '90s.

and rappers were eating more off of it back then as opposed to now actually.

Last edited:

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
The reason for 360 deals is because of all the money making opportunities available to artist. Back in the day it was your album sales and the Chitlin circuit unless you was a star. If you was a local rapper yo ass stayed local back then. Wasn't no internet to get you a fan base outside of your market.
There's not that much money making opportunities for artists. The 360 deals came in when when the internet grew and people started downloading albums for free and stopped going out to buy physical copies of albums. Tower Records, Wherehouse Records, Sam Goody, Best Buy, etc was popping back in the day. When that sh*t started to fall off then the 360 deals came into play. Look how everybody wants to get a link for a new album here in The Coli but then will make a thread about album sales the next minute. And that "Chitlin Circuit" was straight profit into your pockets and got you shows all across Europe especially if you were a hardcore hip hop artist. Yes the internet has helped some C level artists get their name out but everybody's is rapping these days but its still a struggle. Cats acting like every artist is caking because of the internet.

Peter Parker

Superstar
Daps
So he compares 3 of the top rappers from the 90's to 3 random ass rappers from this era who don't even have 1 gold selling album between the 3 of them...

The three top rappers in the game in terms of Sales and Popularity are Drake, Kendrick Lamar, J. Cole who to their credit has never tried to be hood or gangster...

But to act like this generation is about that life is a joke, YT, YG, Chief Keef all are in gangs but I never heard about them catching any bodies, beating anybody up, or catching and major cases...

nikkas like Snoop were catching murder cases, Pac was getting shot and shooting nikkas... These new cats pose wit guns on Instagram and all of the sudden they more Street?
All I'm saying is everytime someone comes at Chief Keef/Lil Reese they pop up dead the next week:yeshrug:

Not that any of this is something to be celebrated because its not and honestly if this generation was less violent than the previous, it would say more good about them than bad but 2011/2012 Chicago makes 90s Compton look like Beverly Hills.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Not that any of this is something to be celebrated because its not and honestly if this generation was less violent than the previous, it would say more good about them than bad but 2011/2012 Chicago makes 90s Compton look like Beverly Hills.

why are you comparing chicago to another city as if chicago is just now getting on the map?

chicago was worse in the '90s than it was in '11-12.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
streets talk. most backgrounds were not secret in the ;90s.

social media is overrated as f*ck.

Streets talk and backgrounds were not that secret, but most stories still didn't make it around the world like that...outside of the music. Not to becoming well-known. Prime example is the Prodigy stuff. All of those stories were told on infamousstores.com in '99-00. Now that the book drops, people question it.

A lot of people still are clueless about the Wu-ish...from the Ohio/Mafia stuff, the Mike Caruso stuff, the Mase incident, RZA's background...

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
Gonna get a lot of hate, but I agree 100%. A lot of rappers these days especially with the trap scene are always into some deep sh*t. Chief Keef and most drill rappers have done some dirt.

But man after watching that Noisey doc on Atlanta rappers... All I got to say is that I underestimated ATL rappers when it comes to hood life.:wow:

Many of them like Young Scooter, Peewee and others were in some sh*t. Even Migos who grew up in the Suburbs were staying strapped with freaking assault rifles in the doc.

I dont like him at all, but even Young Thug was in some sh*t.

As for NYC, you got Bobbt Shmurda and the rest of GS9 in some sh*t. In the West Coast you got YG and Jay Rock...

It seems the 90s and early 2000s rappers there were SOME fakers that tried to say they were doing sh*t and so always questioned their "street cred". But with these rappers no one does...