Charles Barkley and Ernie on TNT back in 1992

Daps
Reppin
NULL
That must've been a few months before he got traded to the Suns.I have vivid memories of that exact day.Me & moms had just landed in Phoenix to visit my grandmother for the summer.We took a taxi from the airport to my grams.Halfway there, news broke on the radio.I just remember that taxi driver getting excited and clapping "Oh wow we got Charles Barkley!".It was a big deal for Phoenix.The city still had a small town feel.They felt like the illegitimate b*stard of Cali & TX.They'd never had a superstar caliber athlete like Chuck.Plus at thst time, he's was coming off a great Olympic run.Many people felt like he outplayed every guy on the Dream Team.He owned the city.They started making murals, painting his face on buses.I've been other places, but I've never seen a athlete rule a city like Chuck ruled Phoenix.Nash, Booker, Warner, and even Fitz.They all pale in comparison.Some of thst is due to Chuck having a larger than life personality.Low key, Randy Johnson was probably the most accomplished athlete in the city's history, but he had the personality of a doorknob.

CHICAGO

Vol. 9: Trapped
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
That must've been a few months before he got traded to the Suns.I have vivid memories of that exact day.Me & moms had just landed in Phoenix to visit my grandmother for the summer.We took a taxi from the airport to my grams.Halfway there, news broke on the radio.I just remember that taxi driver getting excited and clapping "Oh wow we got Charles Barkley!".It was a big deal for Phoenix.The city still had a small town feel.They felt like the illegitimate b*stard of Cali & TX.They'd never had a superstar caliber athlete like Chuck.Plus at thst time, he's was coming off a great Olympic run.Many people felt like he outplayed every guy on the Dream Team.He owned the city.They started making murals, painting his face on buses.I've been other places, but I've never seen a athlete rule a city like Chuck ruled Phoenix.Nash, Booker, Warner, and even Fitz.They all pale in comparison.Some of thst is due to Chuck having a larger than life personality.Low key, Randy Johnson was probably the most accomplished athlete in the city's history, but he had the personality of a doorknob.

:leon:FLYING IN 1992?

YOU RICH OR WHITE?

:devil:
:evil:

2legit

All Star
Daps
Looking back it's funny how Chuck and Kenny were both doing stuff with TNT before retiring like TNT was grooming them to be stars. 30 years from now the future generation are going to look at the Draymond on TNT interviews the same way we look at a young Chuck and Kenny.

Last edited:

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC

Barkley was very relaxed and chill. It's interesting that he said back in '92 basketball was becoming "uppity". Sounds like the same thing mans are saying now.

Mandatory drug testing :mjlol:

Take basketball back to the ghetto :pachaha:

Oh and the original TNT NBA theme :wow:

broller

Veteran
Daps

Cool story. Plus it's interesting to think back how slowly news used to travel back then.

SCJoe

All Star
Daps
Hearing the Sonics makes me think as soon a the Vegas and Sonics come back 90% chance Minnesota is going to the east because of ANT.