Chicago Made Its Yellow Lights .1 Second Shorter And Raked In $8 Million From New Tickets

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn

• OCT. 17, 2014, 11:17 PM
caution-yellow-traffic-light-7.png
Flickr / Beaufort's TheDigitel

How long is a yellow light? Most people would—reasonably—have no idea the exact length of time before a traffic light goes from yellow to red. The answer is: A minimum of three seconds, according to federal safety regulations. What happens when a mere tenth of second is shaved off that time and a yellow light lasts 2.9 seconds? If you thought, not much, you’d be wrong.

The city of Chicago and its mayor, Rahm Emanuel, are taking heat—thanks to a Chicago Tribune investigationfor ever-so-quietly sanding that measly tenth of a second off of the length of yellow lights in the city this past spring.

The impact was substantial: 77,000 additional red light camera tickets were issued, at $100 a pop, which added up to nearly $8 million forked over by unsuspecting drivers.

Here’s more from the Tribune:

The Emanuel administration quietly issued a new, shorter yellow light standard when the city began the transition from red light camera vendor Redflex Traffic Systems to Xerox State & Local Solutions in February. Confronted by complaints from hearing officers and questions from the Tribune about the tickets issued at shorter yellow lights, the administration reversed course in September and told Xerox to re-establish the three-second standard.
Last week, Inspector General Joseph Ferguson issued a review that found that when the city was handing over the contract to Xerox, the administration directed the company to accept red light camera violations for incidents with yellow light times above 2.9 seconds, one-tenth of a second less than the minimum under Redflex. The city previously had told Redflex not to submit tickets with yellows of less than three seconds.
rahm-emanuel-8.jpg
Scott Olson/Getty Images

On Wednesday, Emanuel told the Tribune the city went back to three-second yellow lights “because trust is the most important” thing. The Mayor is still mulling refunding the ticketed drivers.

Read more: http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slat..._8_million_off_new_tickets.html#ixzz3GYq3x87b

:skip:

Meta Reign

I walk the streets like, ''say something, n!gga!''
Daps
Reppin
Franklin ave.
Isn't Rahm Emmanuel, a democrat? An Obama alined , democrat? A good Jew, democrat?

I'm so shocked he would be in on something like this. I'm so damn shocked.

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
where are my states rights/local government guys?

:heh:

jilla82

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
the internet
When I heard this story I got pissed off.
Im actually shocked its not gaining more publicity.

If the government is willing to do this...what the fukk else are they doing?

Yet another reason I became more conservative...this whole city is supposed to be liberal, and out to help the poor working class person...yet they have no problem robbing all the drivers $100 at a time.
I would rather these clowns have less reach in my life...then more.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
Those camera tickets shouldn't even be legal. It's complete bullshyt and this was despicable by Emanuel.

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
lol wait what are we complaining about here? the amount of the fine or the length of the yellow light?
if you believe in absolute safety wouldn't you be all for shorter yellow lights :sas2:

come to the dmv where they have cameras set up to pop you if you go over the speed limit by 10mph :whew:

Beside, I'm 100% sure NYC doesn't follow a 3second minimum. In city limits, once that yellow hits you pretty much know it's over. In LI though there is def a 3 second minimum. The switch fukks you up if you're not aware.