Chris Christie signs bills to help former convicts clear records, get jobs

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Christie signs bills to help former convicts clear records, get jobs

Gov. Chris Christie on Wednesday signed a trio of bipartisan bills that will make it easier for those convicted of minor crimes to expunge their records and apply for jobs.

Flanked by ranking Democratic lawmakers, including Senate President Stephen Sweeney and main sponsor Sen. Sandra Cunningham, Christie called the measures "a true model for other states to replicate."

Two of the bills will shorten the time period juvenile and adult offenders can seek to expunge their records and expand the list of offenses eligible for expungement. The third bars employers from inquiring whether job applicants have had their criminal records expunged.

"A minor criminal offense should not lead to a lifetime of punishment," said Cunningham, D-Hudson.

The new laws, Christie said, will give reformed minor offenders "the opportunity to provide their own personal history during an employment interview rather than being prejudged by their criminal record."

The Republican governor, who leaves office in January after two terms in office, said the changes were part of his broader legacy of criminal justice reforms, which also include New Jersey's massive bail system overhaul that took effect this year.

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
This is for his friends. Dude is lucky he's not doing jail time himself. None of those aides talked, probably afraid of what his mob buddies would do.

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI

While it may seem cool to credit Christie with this move, it was really just about beating Phil Murphy to the punch

State Sen. Ron Rice (D-Essex) on Thursday said he plans to introduce legislation next year that would allow convicted felons, those on probation, people on parole and incarcerated individuals to vote in elections, a bill that would dramatically alter current New Jersey law that prohibits those with criminal convictions from voting.

“I will be calling on Governor-elect Phil Murphy and my colleagues to join me,” Rice said. “I ask for their support of our bill to sever the anti-democratic link between the right to vote and the criminal justice system.”

Asicz

Presume the unpredictable
Daps
Useless law imo. Companies provide their own background check,so what if a felons history is not discussed in a sit down interview. It will still come up in mandatory background check and prevent the hire.