Christian Slaters Gleaming the Cube

85 East

DJ D'eeznuts
Daps

"Gleaming the Cube" is a 1989 action film directed by Graeme Clifford. The film follows Brian Kelly (played by Christian Slater), a young skateboarder who becomes embroiled in a mystery surrounding his adopted Vietnamese brother's death.

As Brian investigates the circumstances of his brother's death, he uncovers a plot involving a corrupt businessman, a group of criminals, and stolen Vietnamese artifacts. Along the way, Brian uses his skateboarding skills to evade danger and uncover the truth.

The film's title refers to a skateboarding trick that involves riding on the edge of a skateboard, creating a "gleaming" effect on the metal trucks underneath. The trick is also used as a metaphor for finding a sense of purpose and identity in one's life.

Overall, "Gleaming the Cube" is a fast-paced and entertaining film that combines elements of action, mystery, and skateboarding culture.

Shout out a very young Tony Hawk, Rodney Mullen, and the rest of the Bones Brigade

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
I remember seeing the commercial for this as a kid and thinking ":ohhh: wow, that cat is saying shyt I'm thinking"

(edit: blame reading Watchmen and Stephen King's "The Stand" at too young an age to do so. Plus we were very leery of USA/Russia playing ping pong with nukes in the mid 80s)

:russ: but I was in middle of nowhere Mississippi, and everything else seemed VERY Sci-Fi futuristic. I LITERALLY had no idea the rest of the stuff (skateboard culture, the way they dressed, "chinese" and white people living together) even existed.

I never watched the movie, but I think about the trailer at least twice a year. Pops in my head out of nowhere.

May watch it over this 3 day weekend.

• Haha
Reactions: NZA

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
GOAT skateboard flick

Correction

Thrashing = goat skateboard major motion film

Gleaming was tha shyt tho.
That every kid wanted a bunker undet the house in my neighborhood.
One of the last wholesome memories of the era.
before Crack became what it became.
to change everything into.
the dismal doldrums of hell.
it is now.

Art Barr

85 East

DJ D'eeznuts
Daps
Correction

Thrashing = goat skateboard major motion film

Gleaming was tha shyt tho.
That every kid wanted a bunker undet the house in my neighborhood.
One of the last wholesome memories of the era.
before Crack became what it became.
to change everything into.
the dismal doldrums of hell.
it is now.

Art Barr
The bunker was dope. I still want one of those.