Classics Discussion: Boogie Down Productions (BDP) & KRS-One

Which of these BDP and KRS-One albums are classic?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Inspect Her Deck

Skins of all colours come together as brothers
Daps
Criminal Minded is his best album.

not for me tbh but I won't argue against it. It's those two that contend for that spot.

Rapping was better on ROTBB. Beats were fresher. Songwriting was more creative but not as impactful.

Hamza B.

Pro
Daps
Reppin
This Dunya...and Beyond
I've always believed Ghetto Music and Edutainment were better albums then By All Means Necessary. BAMN was hugely impactful, but in retrospect only had 10 tracks, a few a which were filler/shoutouts. An argument could be made that every BDP album is classic status, but I would consider Sex and Violence to be a semi classic. For what it's worth, it got 4.5 mics when it came out in a time flooded with good Hip Hop.:manny: KRS's first two "solo" albums are classics. In fact, I think the self-titled album might be his best overall work.

I don't expect much from this poll though because Kris gets a huge amount of hate on The Coli.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
not for me tbh but I won't argue against it. It's those two that contend for that spot.

Rapping was better on ROTBB. Beats were fresher. Songwriting was more creative but not as impactful.
I hear you. Criminal Minded is just such a special album though. So many all time legendary classic hip hop records on that album. Every other KRS album just pales in comparison to me. He did get better as a rapper though, on a technical level.

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
KRS is actually in my top five. Lyrically, he was always entertaining and was someone that you could respect and admire. KRS could adapt to any style. He could be an educator and talk about Egypt on one track and destroy the competition with battle raps on another track........on the same album.

I remember the first time I heard BDP, which was "South Bronx" in ninth grade. Since then, I've been a KRS fan and I believe that he was one of those very few rappers that personified what hip hop is and should be (Rakim, Kane, Chuck, and Kool G. Rap being some of the others).

I can't even name my top five KRS/BDP songs because there are too many, but some of my favorites include "Poetry," "The Bridge is Over," "My Philosophy," "I'm Still #1," "You Must Learn," "Blackman in Effect," "The Kenny Parker Show," "Sound of da Police," and "Step Into a World (Rapture's Delight)."

Dirty D

Vikes & Raptors 4 Life
Daps
Reppin
The 6
By All Means Necessary
Criminal Minded
KRS ONE

Top 20 all time

Top 5 tracks
My Philosophy
The MC
Sound of da Police
Questions and Answers
Hot

Inspect Her Deck

Skins of all colours come together as brothers
Daps
School me on its impact tho?

was instrumental in bringing attention back to East Coast hip-hop

as the title suggests, literally brought back boom bap rap

has timeless tracks and still relevant in subject matter esp. Sound of Da Police