CNN (Noreaga and Tragedy) on Rap City 1997

Ian1362

david ruffin in the flesh
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NY
Curren$y is 31 years old g...and he nice...he not mediocre...Nore got classic shyt..but his nicest rhymes was written by Trag g...so lets put it in perspective..Nore was more style than skills...nikkas DID seem way more mature back then tho...I mean a nikka like Pac came off like he was 30 plus but he just hit 25 a couple months before his death..I get what u sayin tho..most Legends came in as teenagers...I BEEN sayin that age shyt wasn't no excuse...

You had emcees who were literally kids (A+ and Shyheim) whose bars were hotter and more complex than 90% of emcees today with Young Chris flows. Granted they had Wu Tang guys and Canibus writing their verses, but still you had child emcees spitting high-quality stuff. Da Youngstas had some dope records. Nas was like 17-18 when Live From The BBQ dropped.

I like Curren$y, I bought Stoned Immaculate and I've seen him live. But his music only has so much range. Am I the only one who thinks its a bad thing when people make a list of the nicest emcees and it's all dudes who have been around for 10+ years? That's part of the lack of innovation thing.

The only emcees I see get love for their complexity/deliveries/work in that vein today are guys like Elzhi, Blu, and Phonte. They aren't gonna draw 50 plus page threads on this forum or massive crowds. I don't have a problem with that.

But what bothers me is when I go all around my friends, all I hear is Currensy and Wale and Drake and Meek Mill and Tyga and Max B and Mac Miller and Wiz. I play something like Dipset and they're like "that's cool" and then I go from there to like Black Milk and the response is :comeon: . I'll play Notorious or Wu and they're all about it but the second I throw on Organized Konfusion its time to go do something else.

The genre is a lot bigger than that lane, and I'd say the overwhelming majority of what I consider the best of hip-hop isn't in it either. Part of the problem there is a generational one I would guess given how most people access hip-hop, but I feel like I'm a lot more comfortable taste-wise around dudes who were all-aboard the genre when stuff like Main Source was dropping. I'm 22 years old and my two favorite records of all time are Mecca And The Soul Brother and Bizarre Ride II The Pharcyde.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
You had emcees who were literally kids (A+ and Shyheim) whose bars were hotter and more complex than 90% of emcees today with Young Chris flows. Granted they had Wu Tang guys and Canibus writing their verses, but still you had child emcees spitting high-quality stuff. Da Youngstas had some dope records. Nas was like 17-18 when Live From The BBQ dropped.

I like Curren$y, I bought Stoned Immaculate and I've seen him live. But his music only has so much range. Am I the only one who thinks its a bad thing when people make a list of the nicest emcees and it's all dudes who have been around for 10+ years? That's part of the lack of innovation thing.

The only emcees I see get love for their complexity/deliveries/work in that vein today are guys like Elzhi, Blu, and Phonte. They aren't gonna draw 50 plus page threads on this forum or massive crowds. I don't have a problem with that.

But what bothers me is when I go all around my friends, all I hear is Currensy and Wale and Drake and Meek Mill and Tyga and Max B and Mac Miller and Wiz. I play something like Dipset and they're like "that's cool" and then I go from there to like Black Milk and the response is :comeon: . I'll play Notorious or Wu and they're all about it but the second I throw on Organized Konfusion its time to go do something else.

The genre is a lot bigger than that lane, and I'd say the overwhelming majority of what I consider the best of hip-hop isn't in it either. Part of the problem there is a generational one I would guess given how most people access hip-hop, but I feel like I'm a lot more comfortable taste-wise around dudes who were all-aboard the genre when stuff like Main Source was dropping. I'm 22 years old and my two favorite records of all time are Mecca And The Soul Brother and Bizarre Ride II The Pharcyde.
Son..I'm older than u..and I understand ur initial point...I'm in my late 20s and its somethin that I've ALWAYS stressed myself..I was just speakin in terms of Nore..and I said curren$y is nice..but other than that...like I said in my post...MOST of hiphop's legends dropped classic shyt in they teens and early 20s..from Rakim to LL to Nas etc etc...and I understand where u comin from wit bein comfortable around older heads..that's all I hung wit...majority of what I listen to is older shyt..