Comcast announces streaming via Samsung smartv's and Roku

beaniemac

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
this is good news if it allows me to ditch all my 5 set to boxes and their rental fees. and of our 6 tv's, two are smart tv's, and 2 others have roku boxes. if it simply works like the xfinity app, then this will be of little use to me tho cuz that means there won't be much live sports content.

Comcast Announces Xfinity Apps for Samsung Smart TVs, Roku Streamers

Comcast Announces Xfinity Apps for Samsung Smart TVs, Roku Streamers

Janko Roettgers
Senior Silicon Valley Correspondent @jank0
roku4.jpg

Courtesy of Roku
April 20, 2016 | 11:00AM PT
Comcast is getting ready for a world without set-top boxes: The cable giant has struck deals with Roku and Samsung to bring its Xfinity TV service to the company’s devices. Comcast customers will be able to stream Xfinity TV programming to select Roku streaming devices, Roku TVs and 2016 Samsung smart TVs later this year, the company announced Wednesday.

Comcast also announced a consumer electronics partner program that aims to bring the service to devices from additional manufacturers. “We remain committed to giving our customers more choice in how, when and where they access their subscription, and the Xfinity TV Partner Program enables us to efficiently and effectively expand the range of devices our customers can utilize to do that,” said Comcast Cable SVP Mark Hess.

Comcast customers will be able to use these devices to access live and on-demand programming as well as their cloud DVR recordings. The service will only work in the home so consumers wouldn’t be able to authenticate their Roku device and then stream their programming in a second household.

However, the service won’t require consumers to rent a separate set-top box from the cable company anymore. Instead, they can just opt to buy a Roku streamer or download the Xfinity TV app to their supported Samsung smart TV. This is the first time for Comcast to offer its cable TV service without a dedicated set-top box.

Comcast isn’t the first pay TV operator to go down this route. Time Warner Cable (TWC) launched an app for its service on Roku streaming devices, Samsung smart TVs and Xbox game consoles in 2013. However, TWC still requires its subscribers to rent at least one set-top box.

Comcast embracing third-party devices is also notable because the company has spent heavily on X1, its own next-generation cable box. Comcast has been slow to add third-party video services to its X1 platform, butwith Xfinity TV soon competing more directly with Netflix and others on Roku and other streaming devices, that may possibly change as well.

Dixon Cider

Doing numbers and breaking stan hearts
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Coli Suburbs
Xfinity app gay af
Someone tried telling me they watch all tv using it

:camby:

Real cable
Still winning + dvr

Numpsay

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
PAT 2 HTown
I NEVER use the app personally, but I wanna see how this plays out since I already got the equipment to utilize this feature.

How you shyt on the app in the OP and then state you never use it. App gives you access to on demand content, some live channels, and your recordings. shyt is actually pretty dope.

beaniemac

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
How you shyt on the app in the OP and then state you never use it. App gives you access to on demand content, some live channels, and your recordings. shyt is actually pretty dope.

no, I have the app on my phone, and I have used it a couple times. but there were times I was looking for live sports contents, and couldn't find it. thus, I'm hoping the new apps will have that content.

Numpsay

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
PAT 2 HTown
no, I have the app on my phone, and I have used it a couple times. but there were times I was looking for live sports contents, and couldn't find it. thus, I'm hoping the new apps will have that content.

If its on ESPN you should have access to it through the Xfinity App or WatchESPN, TNT is also available through the Xfinity App, that should cover your basketball needs unless its on a local channel. I doubt very seriously local channels will ever be available.

beaniemac

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
If its on ESPN you should have access to it through the Xfinity App or WatchESPN, TNT is also available through the Xfinity App, that should cover your basketball needs unless its on a local channel. I doubt very seriously local channels will ever be available.

most bulls games are on comcast sports net or WGN if they're not national. I don't think those channels are available via the app. WGN is a local channel, but the majority are on CSN, which would be a problem.