Common to produce film about Howard U. Soccer team (first HBCU NCAA national champs)

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Common and Steel Springs to Produce ‘Rising Above,’ About Howard University’s 1971 Soccer Team and Coach Lincoln ‘Tiger’ Phillips

common-movie-.jpg

July 9, 2021

Hollywood loves a great sports story almost as much as it loves a story of overcoming the odds to find redemption. Oscar- and Grammy-winning artist Common’s upcoming movie will give audiences both.

Common has teamed up with Steel Springs Pictures to produce “Rising Above,” a new movie based on the true story of Howard University’s soccer team and its legendary coach Lincoln “Tiger” Phillips. The movie follows events as the 1971 Howard soccer team was stripped of their champion title by the NCAA, and how a then 29-year-old Phillips fought for redemption against racial injustice for the soccer players and himself, ultimately regaining the title in 1974.

redemption-song_1.jpg

1971 team

Now 80 years old, Phillips has continued to break barriers, becoming the first Black professional soccer coach in U.S. history, and receiving the sport’s Lifetime Achievement Award in 2020.

====================================================
The story

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Good

too bad our community won’t see it in large numbers
Think it's timed for release in 2022, probably during or after The World Cup. The entire world pays attention to soccer during the cup, even here to an extent.

Story has elements that could make it a bigger draw than usual. I can see it doing numbers in cities with Caribbean and African populations.

SheWantTheD

Veteran
Daps
definitely going to see it.

reminds me of the swimming movie he was also in.

George's Dilemma

Banned
Supporter
Daps
I don't know how to feel about this. Need to see a trailer first before having an opinion. I get tired of the first black this or first black that film. I like how Bill Burr put it despite him being white but he said with whatever film was the first black swim team movie he had run out of white guilt by that point. Maybe this film will be different. I would be curious to see HBCU life in the 70s depicted on film. There really hasn't been too much content on HBCUs to begin with. School Daze and A Different World come to mind. The hazing movie on Netflix, and the series they had which fell off after season one, but I can't remember the name of that show. Had the pretty girl with the big forehead.

LevelUp

🧞🪔 𝙏𝙝𝙚 𝙂𝙚𝙣𝙞𝙚 𝙤𝙛 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙇𝙖𝙢𝙥 🧞🪔
Daps