COMPLEX calls Nas in 2020 the Carmelo Anthony of rap

Budda

Superstar
Daps
Don’t Juelz from hits.

That’s not dominance that’s longevity and having a strong base. Karl Malone played for a real long time too. Was he dominating on the Lakers? Nah. It’s just 2020, more rappers from the 90’s will do that. Nas album fell dramatically off the charts. It’s nowhere to be seen on the Billboard 200? What good is a debut? He hasn’t gone plat since 2004 and he hasn’t had a hit since 2002. How is that the Bron of rap?

When Jay drops and goes Platinum again and his album is the talk of the culture like 4:44 was that’ll be dominance.

Hits and iconic songs matter this discussion was had in those Pac, LL, Jay Verzuz threads months back.

Which you and others were proven wrong on, iconic songs don’t need to be billboard songs or hits.

And Lebron been the best in the league since he debuted, Jay Z hasn’t been the biggest solo selling rap artist for more than 10 years, in fact Drake has been that for the last 10, his reign is far more relatable to Lebron than even Jay.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Which you and others were proven wrong on, iconic songs don’t need to be billboard songs or hits.

And Lebron been the best in the league since he debuted, Jay Z hasn’t been the biggest solo selling rap artist for more than 10 years, in fact Drake has been that for the last 10, his reign is far more relatable to Lebron than even Jay.
He hasn’t had many iconic songs since 2002 either. We wasn’t proven wrong in those threads. The lists y’all was coming up with was weak on the back end and Nas lost the polls/general consensus in the threads except among his hardcore stans.

Jay-Z has sold 50M records. Jay-Z has been the highest selling or near the highest selling rapper since he debuted pretty much every year he dropped a project.

Drake to LeBron is fair I guess they careers paralleled.

Izanami

Superstar
Daps
I already said the article was dumb, which us why it doesn't deserve the attention that it has gotten.

And the whole "never gonna be Jay Z" line in the article was in reference to haters who continue to bring up Jay Z where Nas is concerned. He even said it's fine that Nas isn't Jay Z and that it shouldn't be a knock against him.

Nothing disrespectful about that.

The writer insinuated that Nas lost the battle. The writer also insinuated that Nas isn’t on Jayz level like Carmelo isn’t on Brons. High key disrespect imo.

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
you got your time frame messed up.

Right after IWW was The Firm and the Nas solo joints from that time mostly ended up on Clue tapes. They got Put together and released as the Death of Escobar mixtape.

Lost Tapes weren’t recorded right after IWW. Lost Tapes was 98-01 Nas. They were mostly recorded for “I am...” and “nastradamus” and a couple of joints from the Stillmatic sessions.

You tryna say Nas peaked between 94-98 but Nas was still killing shyt and putting out critically acclaimed music into the 00s.

The Lost Tapes wasn't recorded as an album, lol.

LES and Trackmasters did 4-5 tracks that ended up on The Lost Tapes with Nas in '97. Most of those were leaked on mixtapes before the year even ended. Tone spoke about this mad times when asked about why they didn't oversee production on I Am. So again, peak means this is when he made his best music. That was from '94-'98. He did plenty of shyt later, but his best shyt was during that stretch. The Nas that did Illmatic, was on The Infamous, OB4CL, Doe or Die, IWW, and the million tracks that went "unreleased" or were released later on albums, has always been Nas at his best. And that all took place during that 4 year period.

That's not saying he didnt make good music after. The talk was about when he was at his best. That's always been '94-'98.

Cladyclad

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit Lions, Michigan Wolverines & LWO
Carmelo=best trait is scoring. One of the best ever. He don’t really dont do much else on that level

nas=best trait is lyrics. One of the best with that. Outside of that he don’t do much else on that level

same fukkin person

Daps
Reppin
DMV
The writer, a fat cac.

tsn61qv45avw1l6qe0md
Enough said

Mag Wheel

Pro
Daps
I don’t get it. Carmelo is a ring less bust. Nas is certified champion.

iLLusoYuN_Da_Adidas_King

Psn illusoyun
Daps
Reppin
Miami Beach
He hasn’t had many iconic songs since 2002 either. We wasn’t proven wrong in those threads. The lists y’all was coming up with was weak on the back end and Nas lost the polls/general consensus in the threads except among his hardcore stans.

Jay-Z has sold 50M records. Jay-Z has been the highest selling or near the highest selling rapper since he debuted pretty much every year he dropped a project.

Drake to LeBron is fair I guess they careers paralleled.

There was never a year when Jay-a was he highest selling rapper, Ever. he was never that.