Condoleezza Rice withdraws as Rutgers speaker after protests

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis
Condoleezza Rice withdraws as Rutgers speaker after protests
Condoleezza Rice withdraws as Rutgers speaker after protests | MSNBC

Former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice has withdrawn as commencement speaker for Rutgers University, following fierce protests from faculty and students over her role in the U.S. invasion of Iraq in 2003.

“Commencement should be a time of joyous celebration for the graduates and their families. Rutgers’ invitation to me to speak has become a distraction for the university community at this very special time,” Rice said in a statement posted on her official Facebook page Saturday.

After the Rutgers Board of Governors picked the former Bush official in February, Rutgers faculty immediately circulated a petition denouncing Rice for playing a significant role in “efforts to mislead the American people about the presence of weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.”

The student government was more divided, having voted 25-17 in March in favor of having her as speaker for their commencement on May 18.

“I have defended America’s belief in free speech and the exchange of ideas. These values are essential to the health of our democracy. But that is not what is at issue here,” Rice said.

She added, “I understand and embrace the purpose of the commencement ceremony and I am simply unwilling to detract from it in any way.”

Rice has elicited recent controversy in other arenas as well. After the digital storage firm Dropbox decided to appoint her to the company’s board of directors last month, online activists organized a campaign called “Drop Dropbox,” citing earlier statements she made defending the National Security Agency’s warrantless wiretapping program.

“While Rutgers University stands fully behind the invitation to Dr. Rice to be our commencement speaker and receive an honorary degree, we respect the decision she made and clearly articulated in her statement this morning,” the university said in a statement.

tmonster

Superstar
Daps
Q553onY.png

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
I've only see Condi harassed about stuff like this in recent memory. I guess the rest of the war hero's are too old to work or wealthy to be open to public scrutiny in their professional lives.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
I've only see Condi harassed about stuff like this in recent memory. I guess the rest of the war hero's are too old to work or wealthy to be open to public scrutiny in their professional lives.
nah man..they're all lowkey taking L's.

Half them dudes can't even leave the country.

Slystallion

Live to Strive
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
These Rutgers fruit booties are still bytching? I remember when I went there these dudes had a eulogy when Bush was re-elected

Some of the most annoying activists I have ever seen in my life...just stupid 20 year olds with no life experience other than having everything paid for by their parents with a stupid sense of entitlement

the fukk don't they bytch at the current administration for? They basically kept doing the same thing Bush did any way and even went beyond with the whole NSA stuff

and these current 20 yr olds were probalby 9 and 10 years old back then what the fukk do they know about anything

Daps
Reppin
NULL
These Rutgers fruit booties are still bytching? I remember when I went there these dudes had a eulogy when Bush was re-elected

Some of the most annoying activists I have ever seen in my life...just stupid 20 year olds with no life experience other than having everything paid for by their parents with a stupid sense of entitlement

the fukk don't they bytch at the current administration for? They basically kept doing the same thing Bush did any way and even went beyond with the whole NSA stuff

and these current 20 yr olds were probalby 9 and 10 years old back then what the fukk do they know about anything

So if Donald Rumsfeld used Agent Orange on vets in Vietnam, he can't be called a war-criminal by today's youth? If a generation lacks knowledge of history and it's criminals, then what is the point in generations continuing to exit? You are bytching at them for bytching. Sound alittle hurt.

Julius Skrrvin

I be winkin' through the scope
Daps

iwKJTRR6pmDhf.gif

:umad: