Confessions/Questions from a Casual turned Superfan (Boxing)

Hov

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I am a lifelong super casual Ali is the GOAT, Tyson was upbreakable, Mayweather was boring but I love the fight parties regular person (MOST fans of the sport in the US were just like me) turned super duper fan, knowledgable about matchups, styles, events, technique, strategy, history and all over the past 3-4 years.

It's been an exciting journey, based upon my personal jump into the sport (that's for another topic) that has turned into being around the sport, learning from those in the know, and doing my own research and learnings - you can say I have a slight obsession, a healthy one, but one regardless.

BUT

I'm "new", so being new, you are green. But green is good, because I don't have the years of callous and opinions, and I just love the sport pure - so I feel I can see where people are jaded or have these hard opinions that make zero sense to me, and seems illogical at best, based of fandom or hatred. So, here are a few comments/questions I have for boxing heads:

CANELO - Why the hate?? Outside of the drug thing from a few years ago that seemed to be explained (even though some people act like it's not), is this a race thing? I mean, I see YT channels like DBN etc dedicated to saying he ducks black fighters, won't take this person and that person, but to be honest, I feel like gottdamn black fighters ain't fighting black fighters either - it makes no sense to me. And, from the time I REALLY started watching, this dude has impressed me the most OVERALL - like the perfect blend of marketing (you need it to be a draw, thats life) and skill (the Ryan Garcias have the marketing but we know they can't beat the best)

This guy is giving me the career I would've wanted to have. Jump around, take belts, bring the crowd, challenge yourself. How the fukk losing to Bivol is some crazy bad travesty is beyond me, because that dude absolutely should've beat and beaten down Canelo, and I thought that before the fight when I saw weigh-ins and saw him fighting some white dude with tats that looked like a heavyweight and thinking "sh!t, this is WAY to much for lil Nelo" - he took the challenge and risks his record, and people are so damn scared to do that, but what does a record matter if you done fought 60 times lol. I love it, challenge yourself, why do we want to see boxers keep doing the same Tank Davis sh!t?

WILDER - How the hell anyone who watched or "knows" boxing thought this dude was the goods is beyond me. Right hand goes crazy, but I mean, emotion seemed to get in the way of logic when it comes to this guy. He had like negative skill set outside of some superhuman attributes...

ANDRADE & BENEVIDEZ - Why the heck they keep trying to fight Canelo, we say he is scared, but they won't fight each other? Are they being ducked? ESP Benevidez, when I watch him I just do not see what everyone else is seeing. I see a stiff guy who would've gotten demolished by a Bivol :francis:

CHARLO - Why do we talk about these guys like they are on the level of Spence/Crawford etc? I see two guys with some elite ass skill sets who I don't think can get it done against the best. I may have them mixed up, but I've seem Charlo almost go lights out a twice already (Castano) and he may not win this rematch. How can they possibly beat the better fighters?

SPENCE/CRAWFORD - This is some legendary sh!t and Im happy to be alive to see a fight that our kids kids may be referencing in the Metaverse 30 years from now. How can you not feel lucky to witness this?

FLOYD - Why are fans so excited that he makes money? I don't get a dime of that. I want to see the best, and I feel like Pretty & Money were one of the best to ever put gloves on, but it's uncanny how he positioned his career (genius level for HIM) for the record, but not for the sport or the fans. Good for him, but I don't feel like his record makes him the GOAT.

RJJ - I am super late on this, but I didn't realize he was 49-1 but really a 50-0 fighter. WTF do we say Floyds 50-0 is better than RJJ's career, knowing his 1 was a DQ and he smoked the hell outta everyone until he fukked his brain up and brand up?

That's it for now, much more to come lol..

Thatrogueassdiaz

We're on the blood path now
Daps
Reppin
Center self, inner self
I am a lifelong super casual Ali is the GOAT, Tyson was upbreakable, Mayweather was boring but I love the fight parties regular person (MOST fans of the sport in the US were just like me) turned super duper fan, knowledgable about matchups, styles, events, technique, strategy, history and all over the past 3-4 years.

It's been an exciting journey, based upon my personal jump into the sport (that's for another topic) that has turned into being around the sport, learning from those in the know, and doing my own research and learnings - you can say I have a slight obsession, a healthy one, but one regardless.

BUT

I'm "new", so being new, you are green. But green is good, because I don't have the years of callous and opinions, and I just love the sport pure - so I feel I can see where people are jaded or have these hard opinions that make zero sense to me, and seems illogical at best, based of fandom or hatred. So, here are a few comments/questions I have for boxing heads:

CANELO - Why the hate?? Outside of the drug thing from a few years ago that seemed to be explained (even though some people act like it's not), is this a race thing? I mean, I see YT channels like DBN etc dedicated to saying he ducks black fighters, won't take this person and that person, but to be honest, I feel like gottdamn black fighters ain't fighting black fighters either - it makes no sense to me. And, from the time I REALLY started watching, this dude has impressed me the most OVERALL - like the perfect blend of marketing (you need it to be a draw, thats life) and skill (the Ryan Garcias have the marketing but we know they can't beat the best)

This guy is giving me the career I would've wanted to have. Jump around, take belts, bring the crowd, challenge yourself. How the fukk losing to Bivol is some crazy bad travesty is beyond me, because that dude absolutely should've beat and beaten down Canelo, and I thought that before the fight when I saw weigh-ins and saw him fighting some white dude with tats that looked like a heavyweight and thinking "sh!t, this is WAY to much for lil Nelo" - he took the challenge and risks his record, and people are so damn scared to do that, but what does a record matter if you done fought 60 times lol. I love it, challenge yourself, why do we want to see boxers keep doing the same Tank Davis sh!t?

WILDER - How the hell anyone who watched or "knows" boxing thought this dude was the goods is beyond me. Right hand goes crazy, but I mean, emotion seemed to get in the way of logic when it comes to this guy. He had like negative skill set outside of some superhuman attributes...

ANDRADE & BENEVIDEZ - Why the heck they keep trying to fight Canelo, we say he is scared, but they won't fight each other? Are they being ducked? ESP Benevidez, when I watch him I just do not see what everyone else is seeing. I see a stiff guy who would've gotten demolished by a Bivol :francis:

CHARLO - Why do we talk about these guys like they are on the level of Spence/Crawford etc? I see two guys with some elite ass skill sets who I don't think can get it done against the best. I may have them mixed up, but I've seem Charlo almost go lights out a twice already (Castano) and he may not win this rematch. How can they possibly beat the better fighters?

SPENCE/CRAWFORD - This is some legendary sh!t and Im happy to be alive to see a fight that our kids kids may be referencing in the Metaverse 30 years from now. How can you not feel lucky to witness this?

FLOYD - Why are fans so excited that he makes money? I don't get a dime of that. I want to see the best, and I feel like Pretty & Money were one of the best to ever put gloves on, but it's uncanny how he positioned his career (genius level for HIM) for the record, but not for the sport or the fans. Good for him, but I don't feel like his record makes him the GOAT.

RJJ - I am super late on this, but I didn't realize he was 49-1 but really a 50-0 fighter. WTF do we say Floyds 50-0 is better than RJJ's career, knowing his 1 was a DQ and he smoked the hell outta everyone until he fukked his brain up and brand up?

Megadeus

Superstar
Daps

BUT

Canelo hasnt challenged himself in eight years. It's not hate it's facts.

He only fights clearly washed or inferior opponents most who have styles that play to his own perfectly, and never takes real risks. We have never seen him step into the ring with a prime top elite guy and box circles around him, like the all time greats did.

One could say his current peers in his weight class are generally doing the same thing, but the issue is, he's not being compared to his peers. He's being paraded around as an all time great and the heir apparent to Mayweather and as one of the best fighters ever, greatest Mexican ever etc..

And because he never challenges himself, he hasn't gotten better. Which is why Bivol was able to dispatch him so easily. It's not that he lost, losses happen. it's the way he lost. P4P is supposed to mean something. A supposed #1 p4p guy in the middle of his prime is never supposed to get outclassed so severely and thoroughly.

He receives praise and the benefit of the doubt for doing things that fighters who came before him---- many who didn't look like him---- have gotten publicly tortured and killed for their whole careers. And it's awful for the sport of boxing that he gets these passes. Marketing? He is no marketing expert. The facts are He was born looking a certain way and his most supportive fans stateside happen to be blindingly racist. Wioala. You don't need an advanced marketing degree to figure it out. Hes not difficult to market, at that point you just have to be elite, and he is.

I could already tell your mind has been poisoned by YT and you never got the chance to really see things for the way that they are. You're not a "super duper fan" and you clearly know little to nothing about boxing history. In a way I feel sorry for you. Lol You're going to be REALLY confused especially the next few years. Because if you got into boxing 3-4 years ago, then you got in at the absolute worst time to be honest.