Crazy how “The Rock” character changed drastically after Wrestlemania 17

Dynamite James

The Main attraction
Daps
Reppin
You know
Almost the official burial of the attitude era rock . 500 dollar Versace wearing rock

Last edited:

O Fenômeno

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Jerz/Seattle
What do you mean??

he started to become more animated in his promos and hyper instead of the laid back slower talking promo style.

Basically when he became Hollywood Rock. I don't have an exact moment as I was watching sporadically at that time.

But take a look at his promo style in 98 to 2002..gimme a minute and I'll post some videos.

98 promo

2000 promo

Daps
I know op's vid is after wm17 in '01, but it made me think how I always found 02-04 Rock & Austin appearances kind of jarring. They'd both outgrown the company so much by that point it was odd seeing Rock have segments with Hurricane & Eugene, be in a 20-man battle for a title shot that consisted of mostly mid-carders, and even feuding with Evolution cause I consider Batista & Orton a whole generation apart from him. Ignoring his issues with the company, Austin seemed to be just doing random shyt outside of the 3rd Rock match.

Mob H

All Star
Daps
I know op's vid is after wm17 in '01, but it made me think how I always found 02-04 Rock & Austin appearances kind of jarring. They'd both outgrown the company so much by that point it was odd seeing Rock have segments with Hurricane & Eugene, be in a 20-man battle for a title shot that consisted of mostly mid-carders, and even feuding with Evolution cause I consider Batista & Orton a whole generation apart from him. Ignoring his issues with the company, Austin seemed to be just doing random shyt outside of the 3rd Rock match.
Austin after WM in 02 just seemed to be floundering. Random matches and a go nowhere feud with Ric Flair where the highlight was him pissing mustard on Arn Anderson.

Cartier Murphy

Apathy’s a Tragedy & Boredom is a Crime
Daps
Austin after WM in 02 just seemed to be floundering. Random matches and a go nowhere feud with Ric Flair where the highlight was him pissing mustard on Arn Anderson.
I would rewind a bit further and say after the inVasion angle ended he was pretty directionless. He lost for the Alliance but was inexplicably a face after that, but he had lost all the juice he had during his heel run and was pretty much just cutting WHAT? promos and running lifeless angles and matches till he left the next summer. Nothing he did after Survivor Series 2001 was really any good, much less up to par for the work he had put out in the years prior.

Daps
Reppin
Toledo, OH
I would rewind a bit further and say after the inVasion angle ended he was pretty directionless. He lost for the Alliance but was inexplicably a face after that, but he had lost all the juice he had during his heel run and was pretty much just cutting WHAT? promos and running lifeless angles and matches till he left the next summer. Nothing he did after Survivor Series 2001 was really any good, much less up to par for the work he had put out in the years prior.
Yep. The only thing that remotely stands out is the short lived Booker T feud.

NOSaintsFan02

Superstar
Daps
Austin was certainly above that Sheriff Austin era. I knew he wanted to stay and still be active in the business but he was above that.

Big Stepper

Superstar
Daps
The Rock changed his character up almost every year

'96: Rocky Maivia
'97: Nation Rock
'98-'99: Corporate Rock
'99-'01: People's Champ

After WM 17 like you said his promo style/look changed drastically.
Then we got Hollywood Rock in 2003.