Critically acclaimed games you thought didn't deserve the praise

GoldTeef

Sarranid Bleu
Daps
Reppin
Fooglies
For me it has to be Mass Effect 2, the game was a complete chore to play, easily one of the most repetitive games I have ever played in my life. Firefights always play out the same and goes on too long, shooting feels horrible, all recruit missions play out the exact same way, all but 2 loyalty missions play out the same(with only the final choice you make actually mattering), slowly scanning planets over and over again. After 3 hours I was done with the game but kept on going to see the story play out. Now it wasnt a horrible game but it certainly didnt deserve all of the praise it received.

Mass Effect 2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

a 9-10/10 is a near perfect/perfect game, but I would never say that the game is near perfect or perfect.

I plan on replaying the trilogy january next year and I dread having to play through Mass Effect 2 again.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I think when a game gets a 9/10 or 10/10 it doesn't mean it's "perfect", it just means the quality of the game is so good that any little things that you can complain about are so minor in relation to it's redeeming factors. There's not a single game out there that is perfect. You can find something to say for every game. I don't always agree with every critic though.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
Last game I thought I would see to start this thread would be Mass Effect 2...wow.

I will probably have to say Metroid Prime. I like that game quite a bit, but it's not a top 10-20 game of all time and definitely not better than muthafukking Half-Life 2 that's for damn sure.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
I think when a game gets a 9/10 or 10/10 it doesn't mean it's "perfect", it just means the quality of the game is so good that any little things that you can complain about are so minor in relation to it's redeeming factors. There's not a single game out there that is perfect. You can find something to say for every game. I don't always agree with every critic though.
I know of a perfect game...

No, it's not FEZ either.

Daps
mass effect 2 took out all the cool shyt from the first one. not a bad but a completely bland game that tries to be more like gears than star wars. Story structure and ensemble cast sucked. Only memorable parts were the first and last missions

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
NBA Live 03 :wow:
I'll keep it hip-hop, everyone should know the theme. I think it's the only game that can be considered as close to perfection as you can. It's the only game that was released in the early to mid 80's and released today without much modifications to have fun with. Simple, but great.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
NBA Live 05 actually, you should know this :ufdup:

But nah, I do think there is a game that has stood the test of time and is still playable today by the masses. It's probably the best game ever created, but simple.
1WcsdtQ.jpg

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I actually didn't like ME2 first time I played it. I too felt like the gameplay was crappy and the garbage animations of ME2 was too hard to ignore after playing other games that had superior animations. I also didn't care for the story but I had to just read up on it online to start to care. Once I did that the game clicked with me. ME3 was alright but they still didn't fix the very stiff gameplay mechanics. At this point, Bioware needs to do something because it being an RPG is no excuse to have crappy cover systems and movement.