KevJ

Overall Nice Guy
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
The stoop with dat dope fanny padding
CVS presses workers for medical information
Privacy group decries ‘invasive’ act

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 PrintEmail Comments (60)
By:
Christine McConville
A national data privacy group is seeing red over a new CVS policy that requires workers who use company health insurance to report their weight, and body fat and glucose levels to the insurer — or pay a $600-a-year penalty.

“This is an incredibly coercive and invasive thing to ask employees to do,” said Patient Privacy Rights founder Dr. Deborah Peel, adding that mounting health care costs have made these policies increasingly common.

“Rising health care costs are killing the economy, and businesses are terrified,” Peel added. “Now, we’re all in this terrible situation where employers are desperate to get rid of workers who have costly health conditions, like obesity and diabetes.”

Rhode Island-based CVS Caremark, which has 200,000 employees, told all workers who use the company insurance plan to have a doctor determine their weight, height, body fat, blood pressure and glucose and fasting lipid levels by May 1.

The company has dubbed the request “a health screening and wellness review so that colleagues know their key health metrics in order to take action to improve their numbers, if necessary.”

CVS says it will pay for the weight, body fat and blood screenings.

But in exchange, workers must sign a form saying the screening is voluntary, and that the insurer can give test results to WebMD Health Services Group. The firm provides health management programs and benefit support to CVS.

If workers don’t sign up, their medical coverage will jump by $50 a month.

Peel said the $600 noncompliance penalty shows the program isn’t voluntary.

“How is it voluntary if you are a low- or medium- wage person?” she said.

CVS spokesman Michael D’Angelis defended the policy, saying, in an email, “Our benefits program is evolving to help our colleagues take more responsibility for improving their health and managing health-associated costs.”

He said CVS bosses won’t be able to access workers’ personal health records.

“All personal health data is kept private by our wellness program’s third party administrator and is never shared with CVS Caremark,” D’Angelis said.

Peel said workers should be wary. “There’s no chain of custody for health data,” she said, “so there’s no way to verify that they don’t really look at it.”

MIT health economics expert Jonathan Gruber said he’s not sure where he stands on the effort.

“There is an important line here between a valid method of incentivizing wellness versus discriminating against sick workers, but I’m not sure where that line is,” he said.

More On:
CVS
CVS Caremark
1622 177 googleplus10 reddit16
Christine McConville / Boston Herald

KevJ

Overall Nice Guy
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
The stoop with dat dope fanny padding
This is the company I work for as management

I'm sure this will be happening often going forward but it sets a bad precedent and we will see people discriminated against due to health concerns and costs

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
I read earlier tonight Chase takes life insurance polices out on their employees

:deadmanny:

www.THUG.com

Trick Love Da Kids!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
D.C.
I read earlier tonight Chase takes life insurance polices out on their employees

And Wal-Mart...There was a story about this on either Dateline or 20/20. The families don't even get compensated, it goes straight to the employer.

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
And Wal-Mart...There was a story about this on either Dateline or 20/20. The families don't even get compensated, it goes straight to the employer.

Yeah that's what I'm talking about, pretty messed up right?

www.THUG.com

Trick Love Da Kids!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
D.C.
Yeah that's what I'm talking about, pretty messed up right?

Hell yea! Because the company gets their money back (your salary) from your death (the insurance policy payout). Meanwhile, your wife/husband and kids scrambling to give you a proper burial. SMH

concise

Veteran
Daps

I first heard of this in the book "The Moral Limits of Markets".

Sad thing is: They're not the only ones

Company Owned Life Insurance (COLI) Definition | Investopedia
However, the most notable benefit to a company that institutes a COLI policy comes from the benefit to after-tax net income. This benefit arises when the cash value of the policy becomes larger than the premiums paid. According to an industry survey conducted in 1999 and cited by New York Life Insurance Company, 68% of the Fortune 1000 companies use COLI programs.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
If an employer has to pay for medical insurance, I don't see a problem with it.

When I worked at AT&T one of my employees use to call out sick all the time because of her medical problems. Medical leave's out the ass. FMLA. shyt is unproductive.

More specifically I think this should apply to certain jobs though. If you are required to work a certain amount of time to insusure productivity then its not in the best interest of the company to have nikkas calling out sick all the time.

At the end of the day, if you're not willing to take care of your body for the sake of keeping your job, you lost.