'Dark is Beautiful' movement takes on India's obsession with whiter skin

GetInTheTruck

Daps
Reppin
Queens
The obsession was perpetuated by the British, they had caste systems in place before. They're not as resilient as black folk, a lot of people of color/non-blacks would rather join white supremacy than fight it (even if it comes at their cost of their own self esteem).

Why are you presenting this as some kind of contest? What was the state of black people when Indians, flaws and all, kicked the British out of their country over half a century ago? Despite all the invasions India is still a hindu country and it's character is still Indian after 5,000 years. What's Africa looking like?

If anything, a layman would wonder how Africa got taken over so easily and why Africans turned on each other and started to sell their own kind to cacs at the drop of a dime. A wise individual knows its deeper than that though. Stop being ignorant.

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
Why are you presenting this as some kind of contest? What was the state of black people when Indians, flaws and all, kicked the British out of their country over half a century ago? Despite all the invasions India is still a hindu country and it's character is still Indian after 5,000 years. What's Africa looking like?

If anything, a layman would wonder how Africa got taken over so easily and why Africans turned on each other and started to sell their own kind to cacs at the drop of a dime. A wise individual knows its deeper than that though. Stop being ignorant.

The British weren't the only people to invade and control India breh, Hindus have been under the rule of other peoples from outside the subcontinent on quite a few occasions. Minority Muslims was running their shyt for the longest, including Black African Muslims. Moreover, I think it's not wise to compare India, a complex country, to Africa, which is a complex continent.

Why do you make it seem like Africans suddenly were like "You know what? fukk this, I'm gonna turn other people like me over to these strange white skinned people in order to perpetuate a perverse institution and business." The Middle Passage wasn't done through one method, tribes always warred in Africa for resources or religion, etc. Whites took advantage of this and schemed to start conflicts between groups that refused to sell slaves or let them settle in their land, through this they'd gain their stock. Call it hittin a 17th century lick, that's not to say there weren't those that willingly sold slaves to white men and embraced the European wares. However, when Africans enslaved Africans it was morso a means of assimilating the conquered people into the conquering society. What Europeans did and practices is vastly different from African and even Asian methods of black enslavement. So even these Africans that did sell off their people may have had no clue as to what was going to happen. There's so many reasons why what happened ended up happening, trust me its not as simple as you're putting it. Even what I put doesn't suffice to explain the subject in full depth.

Marvel

Psalm 149:5-9
Daps
Reppin
House of Yasharahla
Meanwhile a tourist goes to visit the Ganges and sees this

http://www.chinasmack.com/2010/pictures/filthy-india-photos-chinese-netizen-reactions.html

IN06_VSS_GANGESDEAD_J_6957g.jpg

You know what's disgusting though? Hating the color of your skin.

Breh, the level of filth that these people tolerate is unprecedented.This is an abomination. Bathing with dead corpses of animals and human beings. I do not want to hear a peep from any Indian that thinks he is better than others. Filthy muthafukkas :smh:

alybaba

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Breh, the level of filth that these people tolerate is unprecedented.This is an abomination. Bathing with dead corpses of animals and human beings. I do not want to hear a peep from any Indian that thinks he is better than others. Filthy muthafukkas :smh:

Superstition and religion make people do the nastiest and cruellest things.

GetInTheTruck

Daps
Reppin
Queens
The British weren't the only people to invade and control India breh, Hindus have been under the rule of other peoples from outside the subcontinent on quite a few occasions. Minority Muslims was running their shyt for the longest, including Black African Muslims. Moreover, I think it's not wise to compare India, a complex country, to Africa, which is a complex continent.

Why do you make it seem like Africans suddenly were like "You know what? fukk this, I'm gonna turn other people like me over to these strange white skinned people in order to perpetuate a perverse institution and business." The Middle Passage wasn't done through one method, tribes always warred in Africa for resources or religion, etc. Whites took advantage of this and schemed to start conflicts between groups that refused to sell slaves or let them settle in their land, through this they'd gain their stock. Call it hittin a 17th century lick, that's not to say there weren't those that willingly sold slaves to white men and embraced the European wares. However, when Africans enslaved Africans it was morso a means of assimilating the conquered people into the conquering society. What Europeans did and practices is vastly different from African and even Asian methods of black enslavement. So even these Africans that did sell off their people may have had no clue as to what was going to happen. There's so many reasons why what happened ended up happening, trust me its not as simple as you're putting it. Even what I put doesn't suffice to explain the subject in full depth.

I agree with you man, that's pretty much what I was saying. Things are more complex than what they seem at face value.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
When my wife spent a month in the Phillipines a few years ago, she noticed the horrible obsession the women there have with looking "whiter". Skin lightening products are running rampant there as well. Even more from what she described.

Everyone wants to look white.

sakano

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm Black you non readin fakkit. We got our own problems to be worried bout Indian colorism.

Well, we're not asking you to form a National Association for the Advancement of Indian People.

We're just trying to have a conversation....

Last edited:

alybaba

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The British weren't the only people to invade and control India breh, Hindus have been under the rule of other peoples from outside the subcontinent on quite a few occasions.

On point. People forget that every invasion of India over the ages has come from light-skinned peoples West and North of the continent (Greeks, Arabs, Seljuks, Bactrians, Mongols, Mughals, Afghans, Persians, Brits etc). The standard practice of many elites was to cooperate with the invaders and intermarry with invaders. Hence lighter skin meant being descended from elites and the invaders in power. That mixed with the caste system and modern Eurocentric beauty standards got us to where we are today.

bsmooth

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
There's massive differences between Indians. Generally speaking Hindu's are the filthier, subservient Indian whereas Muslims and Sikhs seem to have a much more prouder culture and live in relatively much better and cleaner conditions.

The safest, cleanest, most productive rural parts of India are in the Punjab province which is majority Sikh, a fairly militant religion which was really born out of self-defense from invaders.

The Real

Anti-Ignorance
Daps
Reppin
NYC
There's massive differences between Indians. Generally speaking Hindu's are the filthier, subservient Indian whereas Muslims and Sikhs seem to have a much more prouder culture and live in relatively much better and cleaner conditions.

The safest, cleanest, most productive rural parts of India are in the Punjab province which is majority Sikh, a fairly militant religion which was really born out of self-defense from invaders.

This is actually not true. The cleanest and most literate part of India is in the Southwest, the state of Kerala, which is majority Hindu. Muslims are generally far more impoverished and less educated than Hindus, who make up the majority of the country. They are still routinely discriminated against and suffer systemic inequality, too. Punjab is not all that safe, especially for women (it has the highest rate of female infanticide/ widest gender ratio of any Indian state.)

alybaba

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL

This is far too simplistic.

1. Muslims live in greater poverty on average in India than Hindus and a fair chunk of them live in ghetto like conditions in large cities (that is a product of structural poverty, lack of focus on education and access, discrimination by Hindus when it comes to housing etc).

2. When you talk about Hindus, you're taking 800 million people with diverse practices as a monolith, not to mention differences by socio-economic class, caste etc.

2. The Hinduvta movement (RSS, VHP, most of the BJP) would disagree vehemently with you on the topic of pride.

3. Punjab is also one of the most fertile agricultural regions on Earth. Comparing it to places like Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Jharkhand, Bihar etc. is silly. Punjab and neighbouring Haryana (carved out of Punjab post-independence) also have the worst gender ratios in India due to sex selective abortions and have their own social problems (e.g. drug addiction, alcoholism etc).