DAVE CHAPPELLE: The Dreamer Comedy Special (Official Discussion) (Netflix, Out Now)

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps
It was ok. Opening joke about Jim Carrey was prolly the best. But also quite a few cringey moments. He's just not the writer he once was. But at this stage of his career he doesn't really need to be. His fanbase is strong. He can pretty much say anything and have the crowd rolling over in laughter.

I Wouldn't really put him up there with the best comics in the world anymore. But truthfully I don't think there's many great comedians today. The last comedian who I considered special was Patrice. I was watching elephant in the room the other day and was just blown away. Dude was really going to be next up. He was basically everything that Chapelle is but way better in every category. And his comedy woulda been more relevant than ever today. It's shame he left so young. Smh.

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It was ok. Opening joke about Jim Carrey was prolly the best. But also quite a few cringey moments. He's just not the writer he once was. But at this stage of his career he doesn't really need to be. His fanbase is strong. He can pretty much say anything and have the crowd rolling over in laughter.

I Wouldn't really put him up there with the best comics in the world anymore. But truthfully I don't think there's many great comedians today. The last comedian who I considered special was Patrice. I was watching elephant in the room the other day and was just blown away. Dude was really going to be next up. He was basically everything that Chapelle is but way better in every category. And his comedy woulda been more relevant than ever today. It's shame he left so young. Smh.

Patrice legacy benefits greatly from his short career and his death. I don’t think Elephant in the room touches For What it’s worth or Age of Spin. But to each his own.

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps
Patrice legacy benefits greatly from his short career and his death. I don’t think Elephant in the room touches For What it’s worth or Age of Spin. But to each his own.
I think elephant in the room is better than anything in Dave's catalog. With Killin em softly being up for debate depending on what you prefer. I think the chapelle show took Dave's legacy to another level moreso than his standup. Especially with him walking away from that 50mil and retiring...he became an iconic figure after that and his stardom went through the roof. But if you really look at his whole catalog, it's nothing special. After KES it's a mixed bag of very good to medicore material. Bill Burr has been consistently better throughout their careers if we're being real.

I think Patrice was a much better writer and performer all around. Better with the philosophical shyt. Better with the storytelling. Better off the cuff. Better at crowd work. Patrice was just born to do comedy. Chappelle is a great but he never reached the peaks of Rock, Eddie, or Carlin. But that's just me :yeshrug:

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps

Rep if I can for your thoughts.

I wasn’t gonna post in this thread because even though Dave to me is the GOAT, I didn’t have many good things to say about this special, but the above line I put in bold sums it up for me.

Every time he’d half tell a joke, or undercut himself with a really childish punchline or left turn, all I kept thinking was “you’re better than this”. And not “you’re better than this” like you’re above talking about the subjects you’re talking about, but “you’re better than this” in regards to being a better writer and deeper thinker.

His cadence, his ability to stand on stage and capitivate is probably at an all time high, but his writing isn’t just a little weaker, he’s declined substantially. Which is crazy, because I don’t believe his thinking has tanked. It’s just the willingness to hammer all of that thinking into diamond tipped and razor sharp wit has just... wilted.

He knows nobody can touch him when it comes to standing on a stage and just going, so he’s stopped being as smart as he is funny. Now he’s just funny. And I know, comedians are supposed to be funny, but Dave used to be brilliant. Not just funny but brilliant.

After this, I watched Headliners Only, which was cool, but one thing stood out to me - Rock said he feels like he’s not in the Hall of Fame yet because he’s still playing. He feels like he’s still putting up 25, 8 and 6 so he’s still out there delivering so it’s not time to coast into HOF status and relax, reflect or soak in all the OG, GOAT talk. I’m not debating whether that’s true or not, but it got me thinking...

Dave feels like he’s in his HOF era. To me, each new special feels more like “man, it’s good to see Dave” and not like “man, I can’t wait to hear what Dave says”

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This joint had me really rolling, much better than he previous couple joints.

Of course I fully expect the alphabet people to salt the internet and bash it.

At this point, they are his promotion team. All he has to do is release a special and let the holier than though libs promote it for him.

Dillah810

Flat Girther
Daps
Reppin
Flint, Michigan
One thing that always sets Dave apart for me is his willingness to make himself the villain of most of his jokes :russ:
This is a key difference in the way Dave, and to a lesser degree Louis CK, tells stories and how most other comedians do it. For most comedians, their stories are about them being the victim of circumstance(s). For Dave, he's the person causing shyt.

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps
Rep if I can for your thoughts.

I wasn’t gonna post in this thread because even though Dave to me is the GOAT, I didn’t have many good things to say about this special, but the above line I put in bold sums it up for me.

Every time he’d half tell a joke, or undercut himself with a really childish punchline or left turn, all I kept thinking was “you’re better than this”. And not “you’re better than this” like you’re above talking about the subjects you’re talking about, but “you’re better than this” in regards to being a better writer and deeper thinker.

His cadence, his ability to stand on stage and capitivate is probably at an all time high, but his writing isn’t just a little weaker, he’s declined substantially. Which is crazy, because I don’t believe his thinking has tanked. It’s just the willingness to hammer all of that thinking into diamond tipped and razor sharp wit has just... wilted.

He knows nobody can touch him when it comes to standing on a stage and just going, so he’s stopped being as smart as he is funny. Now he’s just funny. And I know, comedians are supposed to be funny, but Dave used to be brilliant. Not just funny but brilliant.

After this, I watched Headliners Only, which was cool, but one thing stood out to me - Rock said he feels like he’s not in the Hall of Fame yet because he’s still playing. He feels like he’s still putting up 25, 8 and 6 so he’s still out there delivering so it’s not time to coast into HOF status and relax, reflect or soak in all the OG, GOAT talk. I’m not debating whether that’s true or not, but it got me thinking...

Dave feels like he’s in his HOF era. To me, each new special feels more like “man, it’s good to see Dave” and not like “man, I can’t wait to hear what Dave says”
Yea for sure. The handicap cap stuff was super cringey. And not because it was offensive, but because it was just flat out bad. Like comic view level bad. And there were many other jokes like that throughout. And Dave has always had corny stuff in his specials but now it's just getting uncomfortable.

But Dave said it himself...he's considered a "lazy" comic by other comedians now. As long as 4 people are laughing he's fine with that. So he's pretty much admitting he's not all the way in anymore. Watching Dave is how I feel watching a great comedy show that loses touch and almost becomes a caricature of itself.

But maybe Dave really just doesn't know how to be funny like that anymore. Some people just forget how to connect those dots. They forget how to take a joke from being simply good to amazing. Left brain shyt. Some people just lose that ability over time. I think all writers go through it at some point. Dave still drops a great joke here and there, but his hit rate is at an all time low. The highs aren't as high as they used to be and the lows are lower than ever. I think Dave should start bringing some of the younger hungrier comics on tour with him. Surround himself with the younger minds in the scene. Same way Nas brought in guys like stic man and Lupe when he started losing his sharpness with the pen. Sometimes you gotta be around those young guys to keep yourself on point.