Dawn dikkson Talks The Black Tech Community, Breaking Barriers In Black Business + More

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Interesting talk for sure.
Love her perspective on VC, though it seems a little short-sighted, and she used some serious circular reasoning.
If fundraising is hard because you're a Black woman, then giving up equity for more funds is going to be just as much as of an uphill battle.

The problem isn't fundraising, the problem is the racism and the misogyny.
There just has to be a much more forceful push for funds, when you're idea is "just as good as the next guy's."

The whole "we gave up thriving businesses with integration" talk is also tired and shamelessly ahistorical.
Small business across the board started getting wiped out in the 60s, I've heard the same talk from older White men who used to own businesses back then, only they don't blame "integration" they blame corporate take-overs and undercutting.

I want to see her succeed :salute:

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
The whole "we gave up thriving businesses with integration" talk is also tired and shamelessly ahistorical.
Small business across the board started getting wiped out in the 60s, I've heard the same talk from older White men who used to own businesses back then, only they don't blame "integration" they blame corporate take-overs and undercutting.

White men wouldn't blame integration. It makes completely no sense to do so. The fact that many blacks were moving out of their neighborhoods means those black businesses lost customers. Many of the well-to-do blacks moved into white neighborhoods or simply non-black neighborhoods and started frequenting non-black stores more often. There was certainly a shift in black dollars going to non-black commerce.